Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am considering this hotel for an upcoming stay. Is the location that bad? I am not familiar with Lyon so dont ahve a good feel for just how remote it might be. Looks like it should be a short bus ride to the more central tourist area assuming a bus is convenient to the hotel. Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Stayed two nights as platinum. Nice upgrade to executive room with patio and river view.

Lounge has breakfast and evening drinks. Food is very basic in the evening

As platinum we had breakfast in the restaurant

Cab fare to town is 16 euros. If you are not in a hurry the bus stop is nearby

Hotel is nice, would stay here again
This was my post from July 2015. The bus system is pretty good.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
We arrived from the airport using Uber, trip was about 30 minutes and 50 Euros.

Very friendly check-in from Hassan and very professional as well. He explained all my Gold benefits and noted an upgrade to river view executive level room.

The room was large by European standards and fairly modern in design. I would be careful though if you get a room that is directly under the lounge as you will hear furniture moving around a lot and not a big deal until about midnight as they are cleaning up and doing more moving of furniture etc.

The lounge was nice with breakfast served, light snacks through the day and drinks in the evening. It is not permanently staffed but has people in and out often refreshing items etc and are helpful if you need anything. They did close the lounge one evening for a private event and I was emailed beforehand but it would have been nice if they had made some other accommodation or offering due to the closure. The lounge was not ram packed as some lounges that you will run across and mostly peaceful, short of some airline employees that liked have a social gathering each evening swapping airline stories which was a bit annoying as the lounge is not that big so any loud chatter can dominate the room.

We did have breakfast one morning in the main restaurant as we could have breakfast in the restaurant or lounge due to status and while it was fine there was nothing in the restaurant that we couldnt get in the lounge so just did the lounge each morning as it was not very busy at all.

The area is obviously not right in the middle of town but it is less than 10 minutes to town via the C5 bus and the stop is right behind the hotel in front of the museum and you can buy tickets from the machine at the stop or from the driver. There is also a very nice park with a zoo (all free) right behind the hotel which is great for relaxing, running or just a nice walk etc. There are several restaurants in the same complex as this hotel and dont be worried about the reviews, they are better than the reviews would indicate.

Overall, we were happy with your stay and would return if in the area in the future.
Attached Images           
uggboy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report w/ photos! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Brief trip report

Didn't see a lot on this hotel here before I booked my 5-night stay so I thought I'd add to this thread. Before I get to the three things people seem to ask most about (elite recognition, rooms, and lounge), it's probably worth noting that this hotel has many junior and full suites but, according to a manager, they rarely if ever make them available for booking on Marriott.com. She said the only way to get one is to negotiate directly with the hotel.

Platinum recognition: FD clerk proactively offered platinum arrival gift. Confirmed that there were both junior and regular suites available for the entire length of my stay and said I could pay for them if I wanted. I mentioned I had booked a regular room but had already confirmed a junior suite (and a junior suite rate) directly with the hotel in advance so was inquiring about a Platinum upgrade to a suite. After checking, the FD manager came out to speak with me. He told me that hotel policy is not to upgrade elites to suites, ever, and to junior suites for no more than a one-night stay, irrespective of the projected occupancy rates for the nights in question, because "someone might want to pay for one of those rooms." He said that an elite staying at this hotel for more than one night would never get more than an executive room (which in this hotel means virtually nothing, as they are the same size and come with the lounge benefits which you would have anyway).

Room: Consistency across Marriotts worldwide has been impressive. Sure, Marriott isn't the poshest hotel out there, but in 2,000 lifetime nights across various chains (1,300 in Marriotts) I have a pretty good idea what to expect. This hotel is definitely not a traditional Marriott. The junior suite (which I ultimately decided to pay the supplement for) was 10m2 larger than the standard/deluxe/executive rooms, but the entirety of that 10m2 was wasted empty space. There is no couch, no desk, no separate sitting area, nothing but a flimsy table like you might find at a coffee shop and two Ikea-like chairs. The only electrical outlets were at the bedside or by the refrigerator, so if you wanted to work and needed power your choices would be to sit on the bed or drag the table over to the vestibule by the doorway where the refrigerator was. No carpet, just cheap faux-wood floor. A very strange and poorly-designed room. The only good thing about it was a very large (by European and American standards) bathroom with separate tub and shower.

Concierge lounge: It was Monday, so the lounge was ... closed. No notice and no explanation. Was told it "should" be open later in the week.

The check-in left a bad taste and coupled with a room that was totally non-functional for getting any work done and no lounge, I decided to leave. Got an executive (two-room) suite with lounge access at the Crowne Plaza down the street for just a few euros more than the Marriott wanted for the junior suite. First time in 2,000 nights I've walked myself from a hotel. Fortunately the FD clerk, who was very sympathetic, zeroed out the bill. The room was so bad that I was prepared to pay the first night's fee as a penalty just to get out of there.

The hotel does, however, have a good location next to a bus stop so although it's not in an area of the city most visitors would want to be, it's only a 10-15 minute ride on a frequently-running bus.
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. What a contrast to the post a few posts above. Your walking to the CP sounds like a good decision.

Cheers.
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. What a contrast to the post a few posts above. Your walking to the CP sounds like a good decision.

Cheers.
The contrast is not in the hotel description but in expectations: minimal ones from gold but quite different from a plat.
Hotel delivered exactly the same and you have a satisfied gold and a plat who walked out. Fascinating...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
I doubt it has to do (directly, at least) with status - but with purpose of the stay. Had I just needed a room it probably would have been fine, albeit not up to brand standards, but needing to work extensively with no place in which to do it comfortably made the decision necessary. A lounge workspace might have offset the poorly designed room or a well-designed room might have offset the lounge. (The check-in experience, while disappointing, didn't drive the decision to walk.)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago when it was a Hilton and had an okay experience. I made a blog post at the time and hadn't thought much about it. Today, someone purporting to represent the hotel posted the following on the post:
Author: Hélčne
Email: [email protected]
URL:
Comment:
Dear,

I work in Marriott Lyon Cité Internationale hotel (in France).
Our hotel is on your website : Hotel Review: Hilton Lyon in Cite Internationale – You Went Where???
But, we don’t want be present on your website.
Is it possible to remove this webpage ?

Thank you,

Best regards,

What is remarkably silly is since the post was made when the hotel was a Hilton, no one would've found it in googling the Marriott until Helene affirmatively put the new name of the hotel . Regardless, it strikes me as inappropriate and counterproductive, and will be a prime example of the Streisand Effect.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Website says Executive Lounge permanently closed.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by tbm13
PM sent. I have the email address of the Guest Relation Assistant Manager if anyone needs it.
I'd appreciate the email address of the Lyon Marriott, if you still have it.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by beachfan
Website says Executive Lounge permanently closed.
This is a shame, but I thought the quality of the lounge offering was a bit suspect, having been spoilt by the lounges here in Asia.

I stayed here in December as a matched Platinum from SPG. I received a room which described itself as a "Standard Room" but had a view of the river, so I guess that was some form of upgrade.

The positives for me:

- I quite liked the location, which is next to the park and its very odd little zoo, and also a nice riverside walking track. If you like some quiet away from the bustle of a major metropolitan centre, this is a good spot in which to be.

- Breakfast was excellent, with a standard hot American selection and a very good spread of dairy products (yoghurts, cheeses and butter) from La Mere Richard, the famous local fromagerie.

- The gym (open from 6 am to midnight) was spacious and decently equipped by European standards, and very quiet despite a massive conference taking place in the hotel. I liked that it had a supply of fresh fruit and coffee on hand for an immediate post-workout recharge.

As a longtime Starwood loyalist, the greater geographical spread of hotels from which to choose is one of the consolations which I appreciate, and the Lyon Marriott is one such (as is the Threadneedles in the City of London). I would gladly stay here again.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Any recent stays?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Any recent stays?
Had a four night stay at the end of May. No Executive Lounge, Platinums and above given one free drink (up to $14USD) nightly/daily at the on-site bar. Breakfast was average; cooked to order eggs if you want them. The room I had (508) was large enough and overlooked the river, there was also a nice balcony. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel with several lines that take you into the historic or city center (you can purchase single-ride tickets from the driver). Overall, a nice stay, but not much of a choice if you're looking for Marriott properties, it's the only one in Lyon.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Had a four night stay at the end of May. No Executive Lounge, Platinums and above given one free drink (up to $14USD) nightly/daily at the on-site bar. Breakfast was average; cooked to order eggs if you want them. The room I had (508) was large enough and overlooked the river, there was also a nice balcony. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel with several lines that take you into the historic or city center (you can purchase single-ride tickets from the driver). Overall, a nice stay, but not much of a choice if you're looking for Marriott properties, it's the only one in Lyon.
Thanks. It's this or splurge on FHR/Virtuoso. I know which I'd prefer but after the rate we're paying in Bordeaux that's going to be tough to swallow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.