Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
The place is iconic from the time Laurance Rockefeller built it. Could be a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton.
Correction, could have been back in the days when Rockefeller built it. Now it's like a time capsule, with staff and service levels whose only tie to Four Seasons or Ritz-level is bragging about it from decades past.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Correction, could have been back in the days when Rockefeller built it. Now it's like a time capsule, with staff and service levels whose only tie to Four Seasons or Ritz-level is bragging about it from decades past.
I like this place but I totally agree with you. It could be beyond special with some attention to detail...as long as you have the right expectations you still really enjoy this place.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It's that bad? Is this a unionized hotel? On Oahu, that's a big issue behind the service quality from the hotels.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is this a unionized hotel? On Oahu, that's a big issue behind the service quality from the hotels.
I've found service quality generally to be very good at Waikiki, across brands. The problem is ownership not investing in their properties and/or skimping on elite benes. Because they know they can fill the rooms with package tours and conferences regardless.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:59 am

It's that bad? Is this a unionized hotel? On Oahu, that's a big issue behind the service quality from the hotels.
I've only stayed once, so may be a one-off bad experience, but I just felt a "vibe" from all the hotel staff of indifference to service overall. Plus, there was an open disdain for being tied to Marriott and several disparaging remarks from different hotel employees about the riff-raff these "Marriott" guests were compared to their decades-long legacy travelers. The sense I got was that joining the Autograph Collection was an ownership decision that front-line staff and management did not agree with, and they would rather have seen the hotel fade into obscurity and bankruptcy than to have brought in new customers.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Plus, there was an open disdain for being tied to Marriott and several disparaging remarks from different hotel employees about the riff-raff these "Marriott" guests were compared to their decades-long legacy travelers. The sense I got was that joining the Autograph Collection was an ownership decision that front-line staff and management did not agree with, and they would rather have seen the hotel fade into obscurity and bankruptcy than to have brought in new customers.
I would have immediately raised any disdaining comments to the general manager.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 pm

I would have immediately raised any disdaining comments to the general manager.
I tried to, but the GM was never available. This was even after the valet lost the keys to our car, forcing us to take Uber (thankfully at the hotel's expense) to and from a nearby restaurant for a dinner reservation, and the GM left a voice mail in our room asking me to contact him if we had any more problems. I tried repeatedly both on-site and after our stay, but the staff said he was never available, and he didn't respond to my two voice mails or two e-mails. And I assure you, I wasn't on a rant or a rampage--at this point I really just wanted to offer some constructive feedback and couched my messages accordingly. I could only conclude that he left his message when he knew I wouldn't be in the room to actually speak with him, and was then either avoiding me or simply avoided guests altogether.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:06 am
Suspended

I tried to, but the GM was never available. This was even after the valet lost the keys to our car, forcing us to take Uber (thankfully at the hotel's expense) to and from a nearby restaurant for a dinner reservation, and the GM left a voice mail in our room asking me to contact him if we had any more problems. I tried repeatedly both on-site and after our stay, but the staff said he was never available, and he didn't respond to my two voice mails or two e-mails. And I assure you, I wasn't on a rant or a rampage--at this point I really just wanted to offer some constructive feedback and couched my messages accordingly. I could only conclude that he left his message when he knew I wouldn't be in the room to actually speak with him, and was then either avoiding me or simply avoided guests altogether.
Wow.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Yea weak sauce!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
So I noticed that there are base level award rooms through end of July, but limited in August. I wonder if this is due to decreased pressure from Kilauea eruptions?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

Maybe they only allow X number of award rooms initially, and when they fill up they're gone. Then if they have lots of rooms open in the next month, they make awards available again. Just a guess. In which case it could be related to decrease travel due to volcano activity. Long planned vacations are probably not being cancelled, but new reservations may be slow. OTOH, people booked and planning to stay in Volcano area have to go somewhere.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Plus, there was an open disdain for being tied to Marriott and several disparaging remarks from different hotel employees about the riff-raff these "Marriott" guests were compared to their decades-long legacy travelers. The sense I got was that joining the Autograph Collection was an ownership decision that front-line staff and management did not agree with, and they would rather have seen the hotel fade into obscurity and bankruptcy than to have brought in new customers.
I wonder how they feel about Seibu Prince Club members... Mauna Kea Beach, Hapuna Beach, and Waikiki Prince are all still listed as Prince properties as well
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msp3
I wonder how they feel about Seibu Prince Club members... Mauna Kea Beach, Hapuna Beach, and Waikiki Prince are all still listed as Prince properties as well
I've always wondered how they can operate their own program side-by-side with Marriott's. You would think Marriott would require its properties to exclusively use Marriott Rewards. It would be interesting to know which guest receives priority for upgrades, a Marriott Rewards customer or a Prince program customer.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:34 pm

I've always wondered how they can operate their own program side-by-side with Marriott's. You would think Marriott would require its properties to exclusively use Marriott Rewards. It would be interesting to know which guest receives priority for upgrades, a Marriott Rewards customer or a Prince program customer.
​​​​​​​It seems like they merely offers basic amenities like late checkout, early check-in, free local phone calls, and 10% off in restaurant for Seibu Prince Club members.
Plus, those guests do not earn points with these stays.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:08 am

I have four golf view rooms booked for a 6 night stay in late January using points. I am currently a Gold Elite member, so I doubt that I will be getting any complimentary room upgrades. If I wanted to upgrade one or more of the rooms to ocean view, do I just contact the hotel directly and ask about what the cost would be? Can I do it this far out? Is it cash only to upgrade or can I use points? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.