Annoying Birthday email

Old Dec 7, 14, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Annoying Birthday email

It happens to be my birthday today, so I have received numerous emails from organisations with which I have accounts.

Marriott's was particularly annoying though - they offered me a link to click through to get a present.

So I clicked the link and was told I'd received an elite nights credit "to help me achieve my next goal".

So, as a Plat Premier and Lifetime Plat, I struggle to understand exactly what that goal would be.

If they're going to do something like this, then they should at least think it through and offer something relevant to the member.

Rant over.
Old Dec 7, 14, 10:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
"Next goal" might not always be a good choice of words, but I would think that a birthday elite night is helpful to most Marriott Rewards members -- including those who are trying to maintain Platinum Premier status.
Old Dec 7, 14, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm LT Plat. I always click on the link. Isn't really going to help, but doesn't hurt. It's not like the other hotels are doing anything for my birthday. And as Horace notes, it does help others who are trying to achieve their status. If you don't like it, ignore the birthday email next year.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 14, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why on earth would you tell them when your birthday is?
Old Dec 7, 14, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
To get a birthday email It's just month/date. When you click on the email link, you get 1 elite night credit. Doesn't do Lifetime members much good, but it reduces the nights you need to stay each year for Gold/Plat status by 1.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 14, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
To get a birthday email It's just month/date. When you click on the email link, you get 1 elite night credit. Doesn't do Lifetime members much good, but it reduces the nights you need to stay each year for Gold/Plat status by 1.

Cheers.
OK, I'll edit that: Why on earth would you tell them when your REAL birthday is?
Old Dec 7, 14, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
OK, I'll edit that: Why on earth would you tell them when your REAL birthday is?
True. I adopted a policy long ago that I'd only disclose my actual birthday when absolutely required - credit apps, that sort of thing.

If WhackyWidgets.com wants my birthday to "reward" me once a year, they're getting a fake date.
Old Dec 7, 14, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Happy Birthday thegoderic!^

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 7, 14, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
He just told all of FT when his birthday is.
Old Dec 7, 14, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn View Post
He just told all of FT when his birthday is.
Of course that is presuming every FTer is going to read this thread...

Personally, I use a fake date whenever possible. It's nice getting surprises throughout the year.
Old Dec 7, 14, 7:36 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Do all Marriott Rewards members get a bday credit, or just credit card holders? This would've been nice for me since I'm right at 49.
Old Dec 7, 14, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't have a Marriott CC, but I received the birthday email this year and definitely last year. I would need to look back at past years
Old Dec 8, 14, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
Smile rant worked for me

Originally Posted by thegoderic View Post
It happens to be my birthday today, so I have received numerous emails from organisations with which I have accounts.

Marriott's was particularly annoying though - they offered me a link to click through to get a present.

So I clicked the link and was told I'd received an elite nights credit "to help me achieve my next goal".

So, as a Plat Premier and Lifetime Plat, I struggle to understand exactly what that goal would be.

If they're going to do something like this, then they should at least think it through and offer something relevant to the member.

Rant over.
same thing happened to me last year, LTP and PP and got the same email. I even found out that the night doesn't qualify towards fall megabonus. So I ranted in this forum and didn't get an email this year
Old Dec 8, 14, 4:17 am

It's the month/date, no year. And it's nice getting birthday emails on one's birthday.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 14, 6:59 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts View Post
I don't have a Marriott CC, but I received the birthday email this year and definitely last year. I would need to look back at past years
So is it only for Platinum members?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: