FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Annoying Birthday email (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1634968-annoying-birthday-email.html)

thegoderic Dec 7, 2014 9:19 am

Annoying Birthday email

It happens to be my birthday today, so I have received numerous emails from organisations with which I have accounts.

Marriott's was particularly annoying though - they offered me a link to click through to get a present.

So I clicked the link and was told I'd received an elite nights credit "to help me achieve my next goal".

So, as a Plat Premier and Lifetime Plat, I struggle to understand exactly what that goal would be.

If they're going to do something like this, then they should at least think it through and offer something relevant to the member.

Rant over.

Horace Dec 7, 2014 9:55 am

"Next goal" might not always be a good choice of words, but I would think that a birthday elite night is helpful to most Marriott Rewards members -- including those who are trying to maintain Platinum Premier status.

SkiAdcock Dec 7, 2014 10:07 am

I'm LT Plat. I always click on the link. Isn't really going to help, but doesn't hurt. It's not like the other hotels are doing anything for my birthday. And as Horace notes, it does help others who are trying to achieve their status. If you don't like it, ignore the birthday email next year.

Cheers.

Doc Savage Dec 7, 2014 10:10 am

Why on earth would you tell them when your birthday is?

SkiAdcock Dec 7, 2014 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23956689)

To get a birthday email :D It's just month/date. When you click on the email link, you get 1 elite night credit. Doesn't do Lifetime members much good, but it reduces the nights you need to stay each year for Gold/Plat status by 1.

Cheers.

Doc Savage Dec 7, 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23956700)
To get a birthday email :D It's just month/date. When you click on the email link, you get 1 elite night credit. Doesn't do Lifetime members much good, but it reduces the nights you need to stay each year for Gold/Plat status by 1.

Cheers.

OK, I'll edit that: Why on earth would you tell them when your REAL birthday is? :D

DenverBrian Dec 7, 2014 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23956735)
OK, I'll edit that: Why on earth would you tell them when your REAL birthday is? :D

True. I adopted a policy long ago that I'd only disclose my actual birthday when absolutely required - credit apps, that sort of thing.

If WhackyWidgets.com wants my birthday to "reward" me once a year, they're getting a fake date.

The _Banking_Scot Dec 7, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi,

Happy Birthday thegoderic!^

Regards

TBS

jerseyfinn Dec 7, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23956689)

He just told all of FT when his birthday is. :cool:

RogerD408 Dec 7, 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn (Post 23957945)
He just told all of FT when his birthday is. :cool:

Of course that is presuming every FTer is going to read this thread...

Personally, I use a fake date whenever possible. It's nice getting surprises throughout the year. :)

Saidoh Dec 7, 2014 6:36 pm

Do all Marriott Rewards members get a bday credit, or just credit card holders? This would've been nice for me since I'm right at 49.

Pretzelsandpeanuts Dec 7, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't have a Marriott CC, but I received the birthday email this year and definitely last year. I would need to look back at past years

wenzlydale Dec 8, 2014 2:11 am

rant worked for me

Originally Posted by thegoderic (Post 23956476)
It happens to be my birthday today, so I have received numerous emails from organisations with which I have accounts.

Marriott's was particularly annoying though - they offered me a link to click through to get a present.

So I clicked the link and was told I'd received an elite nights credit "to help me achieve my next goal".

So, as a Plat Premier and Lifetime Plat, I struggle to understand exactly what that goal would be.

If they're going to do something like this, then they should at least think it through and offer something relevant to the member.

Rant over.

same thing happened to me last year, LTP and PP and got the same email. I even found out that the night doesn't qualify towards fall megabonus. So I ranted in this forum and didn't get an email this year

SkiAdcock Dec 8, 2014 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23956735)

It's the month/date, no year. And it's nice getting birthday emails on one's birthday. :)

Cheers.

Saidoh Dec 8, 2014 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts (Post 23958810)
I don't have a Marriott CC, but I received the birthday email this year and definitely last year. I would need to look back at past years

So is it only for Platinum members?