Old Nov 15, 05, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*Elite, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Best Category 4 Hotels (pre-2014)

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
and
Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville
Old Nov 15, 05, 12:40 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Cool

Originally Posted by Konsultant
Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
and
Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville
Excellent choices! Speaking of Canada, how about the Renaissance Toronto Skydome where some rooms have a view of the Blue Jays home baseball games?

I was also impressed with the Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown--although not quite the same league.

Further, for Best Cat. 2 it's the Courtyard Downtown Detroit!
Old Nov 15, 05, 1:26 pm

My Top 4 cat 4's:
Renaissance Zurich - bedding, service, compl. shuttle, lounge
Renaissance Brussels - room UG's, lounge, quiet location
Renaissance Munich - room UG's, elite recognition, access to metro stop
Marriott Frankfurt - city view, lounge, access to metro stop
Old Nov 15, 05, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Excellent choices! Speaking of Canada, how about the Renaissance Toronto Skydome where some rooms have a view of the Blue Jays home baseball games?

I was also impressed with the Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown--although not quite the same league.
I am not a huge baseball fan, plus the area around Skydome is not the most exciting in my view, I know it has improved tremedously with construction of gazillion condo towers around it. Yorkville is definitely the area in Toronto I would recommend to business and tourists. If you need to be closer to Bay Street (Fin Center), I'd recommend Marriott Eatons Center, but that is a cat 5 hotel.

RI Vancouver is nice, especially convinient for trips to Granville island.
Old Nov 15, 05, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC-50K, SPG-Gold
How about the new Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa?

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=USMBR
Old Nov 16, 05, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Decompression
How about the new Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa?

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=USMBR
Have you stayed at this property? From the description it appears that is still undergoing some renovations. I found a thread on FT about this property joining MR, but I could not find any trip reports about this hotel.
Old Nov 16, 05, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Bangkok & Phuket

My 1st choice for cat 4 used to be JW Phuket but alas its now a cat 5. Next best would be Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa - located on 15 riverside acres. Today was Loy Krathong in Thailand, a festival held on the full moon in November. People float Krathongs made of flowers, candles and incense down the river after making a wish. The Bangkok Marriott is right on the river in Bangkok. I wish I were there today!
Old Nov 16, 05, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
My pick is the Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa. It has to be my favorite of Marriotts

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=BKKTH

The staff is the friendliest you will meet and the rooms a very nice.
The restaraunts/bar's and lounges are great, biggest buffet breakfast ive ever seen) and a terrace restaraunt over looking the Cho Praya rive with live traditional dance show.

Cold lemon grass scented face towls while laying around the pool, and Ice cold bottled water and (more) ice cold lemon grass scented face towls while taking the hotel shuttle boat into town
Old Nov 17, 05, 6:59 pm

Best 4

Jw Marriott Mexico City, JW Marriott Cairo.
Old Nov 18, 05, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Just completed a stay at Marriott Plaza Buenos Aires. A wonderful hotel, great staff, superb location, an amazing fitness center, etc... and it's a category 4. I'm trying the Santiago, Chile property next week, which is also a cat 4.
Old Nov 28, 05, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC-50K, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by Konsultant
Have you stayed at this property? From the description it appears that is still undergoing some renovations. I found a thread on FT about this property joining MR, but I could not find any trip reports about this hotel.
I will be staying at the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa in January and will let you know what it is like.
Old Nov 28, 05, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Just spent four nights in the Marriott Plaza Buenos Aires. As a MR Platinum, got a beautiful upgarded park-facing room. My kids had a standard room--much smaller but very comfortable. The lounge is excellent, and open every day through midnight.
Old Nov 29, 05, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Santiago Marriott was very nice, though it lacked the charm and the location of the one in Buenos Aires. It's about three or four times the size of the BA one and feels very cookie-cutter and North American in that regard. I had a standard king room on the corner of the 19th floor, overlooking Avenida Kenney and the mountains. Room was very spacious for a standard room. Staff were friendly and helpful. Fitness center seemed larger than the one in the BA property. Pool is outside with a view of the side of a neighboring apartment building. My only complaint about the property is it's rather outlying location. A 5-10 minute bus ride was all that was needed to get to the Escuela Miltar subway stop (the end of line 1), but I would have preferred to stay closer in where I could walk to places more easily. For that reason, I probably won't stay at this property again, even though the hotel itself was perfectly fine.

Oh, and last but not least... free in-room WIFI, too!
Old Nov 29, 05, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime plat prem, Delta FO, Hilton gold
How about a few domestic properties: Marriott City Center Minneapolis; Griffin Gate Resort; The Dearborn Inn.
Old Apr 15, 06, 9:10 pm

best cat 4 marriott

actually, its a courtyard but, hey, same chain for awards: the courtyard at CDG in paris is about as good as i've seen. beautiful, classy and a wonderful saunna. all other marriotts in paris are 6's up but this ain't bad...

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
My picks are Marriott Berlin, Germany and Marriott Plaza Buenos Aires, Argentina. Which are yours?

Search this Thread