Best Category 4 Hotels (pre-2014)

Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
I concur that the Battle House in Mobile Alabama is one of if not the top Category 4 Hotel. The places is absolutely beautiful.
I'll third this recommendation. I've spent hours staring at the dome in the lobby. I was just invited to speak in Mobile in May and my first thought was how lucky I am to be able to stay in this hotel.

Jacksonville Beach FI is a Cat 4. While it's not directly on the beach, it's across a very narrow street from the CY which is on the beach.

Montreal RI. You are walking distance or a short subway ride away from everything. Montreal is a great city to get lost in for a few days.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist
I based out of NYC so Ill look into the courtyard Philly! Thanks for all recommendations!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the Battle House info I will have to check it out this spring
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
+1 on the courtyard philly. nice building, attentive staff for philly and close to all the historic center city stuff...

don't fly into philly though, take the train (penn - 30th st). the train for the airport is a interminable 40 minute local...
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Similarly, this property won't be close to most people, but the JW Marriott in Beijing will be moving from Cat 5 to Cat 4 with the adjustments next week.
Is there a list of the hotels moving to/from Cat 4? What is the change date?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Radisson Silver, AA, Amtrak, BA
on the east coast, the courtyard philadelphia has an excellent location and is in a great renovated building, i believe there's a nice pool as well

the marriott in downtown hartford is also a good bet
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:12 pm
Used to be 'where2next'

Programs: MR Platinum
Both the Courtyard Center City and the Residence Inn Center City Philadelphia are category 4. I've stayed in both and like them both. The Residence Inn has a very nice breakfast buffet and the Courtyard has a nice Jr King Suite and a swimming pool, but no breakfast. They are right next to each other. Both are expensive for parking.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:22 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
One of our favorites is the Residence Inn North Conway, NH.

Easy access to lots of outdoor activities in Northern New Hampshire. Great hiking, horseback riding etc. are a short trip away. Also, dining options within walking distance (and many more within driving distance).

While not the scope of this post; definitely check out the area online, it's really lovely.

Makes for a great weekend get-away. Not a long drive from MHT (best) or BOS if you are arriving by plane.

In addition, property was built in 2009; so it's rather new and pretty nice for a RI. We've also had upgrade success with this property, though YMMV. (we have been fortunate enough to be upgraded to the 2 bedroom suite)

Currently, just booked 2 rooms, 2 nights (using all 4 of our Mega-Bonus certs) over Memorial Day Weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
I strongly recommend New Orleans Marriott Metairie. I was just there for the weekend at a great weekend rate of 109 per night. If you have the time go for Jazz Fest at the end of April. Worth every penny. Free parking on weekends and a decent lounge during the week. Rooms are spacious and the view of Lake Pontchartrain is nice bonus.

Sorry no reward availability for Jazz Fest at this time.

Last edited by nub2travel; Mar 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm Reason: updated information
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
One of our favorites is the Residence Inn North Conway, NH.
Is currently showing as a Category 5.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Is currently showing as a Category 5.
Oh NO! Unless I'm going *crazy* this used to be a Category 4. I have an upcoming reservation using our bonus nights, and the certificates were issued and linked; so I'm hoping I won't have any issues.

Is there anywhere that lists properties that were recently 'upgraded' from Category 4 to Category 5?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Oh NO! Unless I'm going *crazy* this used to be a Category 4. I have an upcoming reservation using our bonus nights, and the certificates were issued and linked; so I'm hoping I won't have any issues.

Is there anywhere that lists properties that were recently 'upgraded' from Category 4 to Category 5?
It was a category 4 when I stayed there in the fall. I also booked one room under my account, and one under my husband's for later in the year. I had the points, but my husband will be using his Visa certificate, so he didn't. My reservation now says: The certificates attached to this reservation may not match the number of days, room type, or other features of your stay. Please call Guest Services to ensure you have the proper certificates for your reservation. His account now says he needs 25K instead of 20K.

Last edited by mareh; Mar 29, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mareh
It was a category 4 when I stayed there in the fall. I also booked one room under my account, and one under my husband's for later in the year. I had the points, but my husband will be using his Visa certificate, so he didn't. My reservation now says: The certificates attached to this reservation may not match the number of days, room type, or other features of your stay. Please call Guest Services to ensure you have the proper certificates for your reservation. His account now says he needs 25K instead of 20K.
I have the 'same issue' using the Visa/Stay Free Night Certificates.

What if you booked using the certificates BEFORE the change from Category 4 go 5?

Any idea of the date of the change of category?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Give MR a call to verify, but you should still be OK. Marriott will normally "upgrade" the certs for any existing reservations to what they need to be and it shouldn't cost you any extra points.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: DL-DM/2.1 MM; Marriott - Plat/LT Gold, Hyatt - Plat, SPG Plat
The JW Marriott Hotel Beijing is a great hotel, and a bargain as a Cat 4 MR option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.