Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Category 4 Hotels (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by RichG
Shouldn't have to go as far as 3 hr. away from NYC to fit your plan:
1. Princeton Marriott @ Forrestal. Haven't stayed there, but looked nice from the road. Cat. 4
I highly recommend this one. I frequently spend relaxing weekends at this property, taking advantage of their very low weekend rates. They have a nice gym, pool, spa, tennis courts, and outdoor wooded areas through which to have a walk. The rooms are quiet and spacious, and most have a nice view of the outdoors. The only concern you might have is the lack of a really nice restaurant; the hotel restaurant is nothing special, though not bad. You can drive 5 mins to Nassau St. in Princeton for some dining, drinking, and college town nightlife. I think there is also a Ruth's Chris and other such places in the Forrestal Village area just across U.S. 1.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:33 am

The Stamford Marriott is right off the expressway. About an hour from NYC. Can go to city by train, cheap. Also, across from a mall and many local eating places and bars.

If you want to be nearer NYC, the Marriott Courtyard next to LGA can be quite inexpensive and also cheap with points, depending on time of year.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I think Princeton looks like a contender and Stamford , CT may be interesting as well. One thought, given the kids, was to try for Lancaster or Hershey-Harrisburg. The Lancaster Marriott gets great reviews but is fully booked for next weekend. Right now I am trolling for info regarding the rest. Originally was going to do 1 night but may do one night around Lancaster and one in Harrisburg.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by 3galsontour
I think Princeton looks like a contender and Stamford , CT may be interesting as well. One thought, given the kids, was to try for Lancaster or Hershey-Harrisburg. The Lancaster Marriott gets great reviews but is fully booked for next weekend. Right now I am trolling for info regarding the rest. Originally was going to do 1 night but may do one night around Lancaster and one in Harrisburg.
I am following this thread since I am interested a weekend between dc and NJ. The Princeton Marriott looks great. But it is booked for my date. The Lancaster is a Category 5, isn't it? It would work for me too.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
3gals, if you don 't mind a non-FS, the SHS Harrisburg/Hershey might work for you. (I have a review on this forum somewhere) It is the new "aqua" style and I know from personal experience that 9 year old girls think it is too cool. There is also an outdoor fire pit area, a good inexpensive restaurant that delivers, and a nice upscale shopping mall across the interstate. Easy drive to Lancaster /Hershey. Just make sure you pick the new SHS, not the old one!

The CY Lancaster is also nice -see my comments on that location in the current thread about locations in the Hershey area.

Although everyone is different, I wouldn't recommend the FS for your weekend. It really isn't convenient to much and is packed with either conventioneers or wedding parties on the weekend. Staff is great, but they are usually showing the stress by Sat afternoon!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:24 am

This is a great thread as I am in the NYC area as well and am looking for nearby hotels to use the two free nights on.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
2nd vote for the Rocky Hill Marriott. Stayed there a few times, great. Plus the great pizza experiences in nearby New Haven or the closer Pepe's to the east of Hartford. Foliage season right around the corner.
i've stayed at rocky hill a few times, and the biggest issue that i have with it is that it's in need of some updating. if you plan on watching a TV there, expect a TV with a picture tube. no flat screens. all of the other marriots in the hartford area (windsor, farmington, downtown) have TVs of a more recent vintage.

if this is not important to you, then rocky hill is certainly fine...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
My vote is Marriott Hanover/Whippany NJ. Not sure if the renovation is complete. The concierge lounge was decent, but not open on weekends..
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Agree with JT ^

Also the Uniondale, Long Island FS is a Cat 4. Great evening fare in the lounge, though it can get a bit cramped when the hotel is busy. They have an indoor pool, too.

Originally Posted by JT_BOS
My vote is Marriott Hanover/Whippany NJ. Not sure if the renovation is complete. The concierge lounge was decent, but not open on weekends..
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:03 pm

Orange Courtyard by Marriot, recently remodeled.

10 minutes from New Haven Pizza, 5 minutes from a West field shopping mall, movie theather, 5 minutes to the Boston Post Road with an array of stores and restaraunts and 10 minutes to the Metro North Train station which goes to Grand Central terminal.

It's right off 95 at exit 41 and also has an Outback steak house in the parking lot.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
It probably won't suit the OP (who went to Philadelphia last year with her daughter), but for others looking for something near New York I would recommend the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown. It's a great location and Philadelphia makes a good weekend trip.

I've also stayed at the Courtyard New Haven at Yale and it's nice - often booked up for conferences, though, and I'm not sure what is nearby (other than the Yale campus).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: none
Marriott Tarrytown is about an hour north of NYC.

Good scenery, Hudson River, West Point, Bear Mtn. Park, antiques & quaint inns nearby.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:33 am

Best Cat 4 property in Las Vegas

Just looking for some opinions. Currently have reservations for a three night (Thurs-Sat) stay at Las Vegas Ren(got the 3rd night free rate). Just realized that we have two free nights for a cat 1-4 that hubby received from Marriott CC promotion end of 2010 that will expire about a month after we return from Vegas. This trip is purely for fun. We have always stayed on the strip during our visits through the years but for a variety of reasons want to stay at a Marriott property this time. Just not sure if the Cat 4 properties near the Convention Center will be too much of a letdown from what we've typically done in the past. Husband is Plat but not sure if that will matter too much unless we are at a FS Marriott.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed in that RI over New Year's. It's a pretty standard RI. Rooms are very big with full, small-ish kitchens. They were clean and comfortable. The staff was VERY nice and the breakfast was pretty decent. It and the Courtyard are both right across from the convention center, so you have easy access to the monorail and the strip. I thought it was a pretty good property. I didn't venture in to the Courtyard, but I think these are your only two Cat 4 options.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
RI on Flamingo and Paradise is probably your best bet location wise. A FI about 1/3 a mile up Paradise is also a cat 3 and the FI on Russell just west of I-15 is also avaliable. The RI is about 3/4 a mile from the strip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.