Fairfield Inn - Moab(!)

Old Oct 9, 14, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, National Executive
Fairfield Inn - Moab(!)

I've been trying to convince the SO to go on a mammoth road trip out to the Utah national parks and she finally relented. As I've done research for this trip before, I had always assumed that we'd be staying at non-Marriotts during major parts of this given the dearth of Marriott brand hotels in the applicable areas (one relevant and useful thread talks about the lack of Marriott hotels near national parks).

Much to my pleasant surprise, as I entered Moab into the city field on Marriott's webstie the last few days, it pre-filled. Lo and behold, there is a Fairfield Inn opening (or opened?) there! According to the website it is opening October 2014, but on Marriott's reservation system, you cannot make a reservation until November 15th at the earliest.

Anybody have any more info on this Moab Fairfield?

Any risks in booking (and relying upon) a November 15th reservation?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 14, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Website says this re: the property:

"Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Moab is located just thirteen miles from the Moab airport and five minutes from downtown. The hotel sits on the banks of the Colorado River and is the closest hotel to Arches National Park. northern Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Sate Park. You will have convenient access to activities and attractions, including jet boat tours, hiking and biking trails, and hummer tours through the gorgeous red rocks surrounding the hotel. When you are ready to wind down from your busy days outside, the Fairfield Inn will welcome you with presidential mattresses, upgraded showers, a picturesque outdoor pool and spa, and a safe and secure indoor bike storage so you can rest easy at night. Wake up to a complimentary hot breakfast, grab some snacks and drinks for the trail in our Corner Market, and enjoy a good, pre-adventure workout in our state of the art fitness center. At the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Moab, we guarantee you a memorable stay!"

It's a Category 4.

I'm seeing availability as of November 6th for $99/night. Cancel is 6pm day before arrival.

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
I was planning a trip to Utah this Christmas and I saw the FFI Moab. I was also asking some info from Moab tourism board, and they asked me how on earth did I locate the city and I said it's from Marriott.

Then I got a reply saying that the hotel is going to be open in October (they sounded quite sure about it).

Please contact the folks at Canyonlands By Night. The Fairfiled is adjacent to them and they are handling group reservations for me for 2015 and have projected that the hotel could open as soon as late October. They will have more reservation details for you, I am certain.
Canyonlands by NIght & Day
435-259-5261 | 800-394-9978
Unfortunately we decided to drop Moab as we are flying into LAX and one way rental is way too expensive, so we decided to take 3 parks instead of 5 (Moab is really out of the way from I15).
Old Oct 19, 14, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite
I'm planning a trip to Moab in September, 2015, and noticed the Fairfield Inn Moab on the Marriott website. Mid-September, 2015 rates are in the low to mid $200 (at least at this point in time). Given that late September and October are probably two of the best months to visit, I doubt these rates will decrease. Regardless, I'm happy to see the Marriott flag in Moab!
Old Oct 20, 14, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philwupdx View Post
I'm planning a trip to Moab in September, 2015, and noticed the Fairfield Inn Moab on the Marriott website. Mid-September, 2015 rates are in the low to mid $200 (at least at this point in time). Given that late September and October are probably two of the best months to visit, I doubt these rates will decrease. Regardless, I'm happy to see the Marriott flag in Moab!
If it's just a Cat 4, I think I'd use points and/or certs instead of paying that much. (Quick, before they raise it to a higher category, if those are going to be the going rates! )

Btw, beware that between now and September 2015 there's expected to be the annual category adjustment of some Marriott hotels. If those are the rates they're getting, will they move up to something above cat 4 early next year???
Old Oct 20, 14, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
If it's just a Cat 4, I think I'd use points and/or certs instead of paying that much. (Quick, before they raise it to a higher category, if those are going to be the going rates! )

Btw, beware that between now and September 2015 there's expected to be the annual category adjustment of some Marriott hotels. If those are the rates they're getting, will they move up to something above cat 4 early next year???
Category adjustment is in the Spring, isn't it.
Old Oct 20, 14, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
Category adjustment is in the Spring, isn't it.
Traditionally category adjustments are in the spring. Occasionally they change them quietly mid-year for specific properties. Since this property is just opening I doubt they'd change the cat before the March/April category jump.

philwupdx could book the property now & then try to LNF to see if he can do any better pricewise. If he does have a Cat 1-4 or Cat 1-5 that has expiration date past his stay, he could book with that instead. Marriott will honor it if the category changes.

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 14, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
AFAIK, Marriott doesn't move hotel category up for new properties. So I expect an inflation of the moab FFI will take place in 2016/3.
Old Aug 12, 15, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recently stayed at this hotel and I wasn't impressed. The biggest problem is the curtain. It's so transparent that the light from the parking lot felt like sunlight at night. The other problem is the noise from AC, it's very loud.

TL; DR: Don't stay here unless you have a cat 4 cert needs to burn.
Old Aug 12, 15, 11:35 am

That's interesting. The property is getting really good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 15, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
That's interesting. The property is getting really good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Cheers.
To be fair, FI Moab is still the closet hotel to Arches National Park, and not far from Canyonland. So if anyone wants to plan an early morning hike, this hotel will be ideal for a base camp. During my stay, this hotel is completely sold out.
Old Aug 12, 15, 11:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
This property is one of the best uses of the Cat 1-4 certs. I guess it's remoteness helps. I have it reserved using a couple of certs when the rates are north of $250.
Old Aug 12, 15, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
This property is one of the best uses of the Cat 1-4 certs. I guess it's remoteness helps. I have it reserved using a couple of certs when the rates are north of $250.
I agree 100% stayed there in 2013.
Old Aug 12, 15, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
Not when we were there back in December 2014. The on going rate was like 89 whereas super 8 was 40. It's a great place to use points during peak season.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: