Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I read it and find it a stretch that this was even a concern.

For example- the teacher supply store in our area offers a discount to teachers if they show their district id card. Should they have to ask their employer's permission before accepting the discount. IMO any reasonable person would think not.
How about if somebody worked for a branch of the government that is involved in direct regulation of some part of Marriott's business? How about if that person is directly involved in making some sort of arguably significant decision involving Marriott? How about if that person is staying at a Marriott at a government rate while making the decision? Maybe it would still be okay to stay at the Marriott at the government rate, but a careful government traveler might decide to seek an opinion before doing such or might, as I did, decide to stay at a different, non-Marriott hotel.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; United Premier Silver

For example- the teacher supply store in our area offers a discount to teachers if they show their district id card. Should they have to ask their employer's permission before accepting the discount. IMO any reasonable person would think not.

Seems to me that it's a stretch of someone's imagination that might see goblins around every Federal employee corner. Perhaps one should also be concerned about discounts offered to our armed forces -- at ballgames, movie theatres, or leisure travel!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by ohmark
How about if somebody worked for a branch of the government that is involved in direct regulation of some part of Marriott's business? How about if that person is directly involved in making some sort of arguably significant decision involving Marriott? How about if that person is staying at a Marriott at a government rate while making the decision? Maybe it would still be okay to stay at the Marriott at the government rate, but a careful government traveler might decide to seek an opinion before doing such or might, as I did, decide to stay at a different, non-Marriott hotel.
How about not letting potential, unsound perceptions get in the way of your thought process and that you exercise sound judgment? I mean, as a retired Federal employee, with my share of tricky ethical issues over my career, I find this line of thinking of finding potential fault with a relatively benign issue to be a figment of imagination more than a "problem." To each his own, but I think that people who engage in this type of thought process over potential (and in my view imaginary) ethical issues can be so risk adverse that it sometimes impedes efficiency in the federal service.

Look, even if you were the contracting officer for some contract that Marriott had some involvement, I don't even think then that your leisure travel with lodging at Marriott (at the Government rate afforded to every Federal employee) should raise any ethical issue, but to each his own. And if you "regulated" Marriott (though I can't imagine what that regulation might be unless perhaps you were auditing or examining Marriott's records or compliance with some Federal law or rule), again I don't think your leisure travel with lodging at Marriott (at the Government rate afforded to every Federal employee) should raise an ethical issue, but to each his own. As for me, I would never raise this as an ethics issue with my colleagues, supervisors, or Ethics Office -- we had too many other real issues to resolve.

But to each his own and good luck in your career!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether you can accept a discount or other gift will be determined by federal law and agency rules. Marriott is free to offer and unless you work for some agency which has some reason to prohibit it, you may accept the discount.

By way of example, you may have read of the GSA event planners who accepted freebie suite upgrades at a conference where they had a say in selecting the property as well as other event expenses.

The point is that unless you have some specific prohibition, you are not prohibited. Agency ethics officers exist to walk people through this stuff.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisJC5
How about not letting potential, unsound perceptions get in the way of your thought process and that you exercise sound judgment? I mean, as a retired Federal employee, with my share of tricky ethical issues over my career, I find this line of thinking of finding potential fault with a relatively benign issue to be a figment of imagination more than a "problem." To each his own, but I think that people who engage in this type of thought process over potential (and in my view imaginary) ethical issues can be so risk adverse that it sometimes impedes efficiency in the federal service.

again I don't think your leisure travel with lodging at Marriott (at the Government rate afforded to every Federal employee) should raise an ethical issue, but to each his own. As for me, I would never raise this as an ethics issue with my colleagues, supervisors, or Ethics Office -- we had too many other real issues to resolve.

But to each his own and good luck in your career!
Thanks for your "insight." I decline your bait. Enjoy your retirement.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
By way of example, you may have read of the GSA event planners who accepted freebie suite upgrades at a conference where they had a say in selecting the property as well as other event expenses.
Which was offered to them specifically on a quid prop quo basis.

If that hotel offered free suite upgrades to every fed employee who walks in the door, then they are free to take it. Clearly they didn't.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lskohn
Bottom line is that Marriott (but not Starwood IHG and Choice) decided that discounting leisure as well as business travel for Fed employees is good for their business, and they probably hope that the employee who uses a govt rate for leisure travel will select Marriott for business travel as well.
Absolutely, there is a huge Marriott following among federal employees. There are not enough rural Marriotts for it to be my go-to brand.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ohmark
Absolutely my friend, and the OGE letter nicely covers those situations...

First, an employee should not accept the Government rate if the offeror has or is seeking to do business with the agency, is regulated by the agency, or has interests that could be substantially affected by the employee's performance of his duties.
http://www.oge.gov/DisplayTemplates/...ub.aspx?id=921
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Back to the original topic anyone have any suggestions for a contractor on what to do to get USG rates when COR says the receipt not the bill to the USG must be within USG per diem. This is getting way to difficult.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try calling the sales manager for the hotel with number of people on contract and number of nights they will be losing.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was just going to say how about getting back to the original topic

Cheers
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This fall, one of our local mall chain clothing stores was offering discounts with teacher IDs, IIRC 30% during the back to school shopping period.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This fall, one of our local mall chain clothing stores was offering discounts with teacher IDs, IIRC 30% during the back to school shopping period.
Neither your nor Vicki' s examples are related to Marriott and its gov't rates, so while perhaps interesting from an anecdotal point of view is irrelevant to the actual thread topic, which is is Marriott enforcing more since Oct 1. I think those on gov't rates would be more interested in anecdotal of Marriott's since Oct 1.

Cheers
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Often1
I haven't seen that specific case, but it gets interesting: what if every similar property offers the same freebie suite upgrades to event planners? They should probably turn them down; what happens if they're upgraded at check-in (and not necessarily told until they arrive at the room)?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I haven't seen that specific case, but it gets interesting: what if every similar property offers the same freebie suite upgrades to event planners? They should probably turn them down; what happens if they're upgraded at check-in (and not necessarily told until they arrive at the room)?
Quite frankly that's a generic topic and has more to do with meeting planning 101 than anything gov't related.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.