Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Interestingly Marriott, but not Hilton, specifically calls out "Federally Funded Research and Development Corp." ID as being OK for the government rate. My FFRDC ID is an "around your neck" badge, and I have shown it when asked and gotten the go ahead. They can't possibly have actually figured out why this badge allows me to get that rate, since it looks nothing like a government ID and the FFRDC name is not well known, but they always take it.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
They can't possibly have actually figured out why this badge allows me to get that rate, since it looks nothing like a government ID and the FFRDC name is not well known, but they always take it.
Huh? It took me under a minute to search "Federally Funded Research and Development Corp" and find this statement:

"Federally funded research and development centers, or FFRDCs, are unique independent nonprofit entities sponsored and funded by the U.S. government to meet specific long-term technical needs that cannot be met by any other single organization."

That seems pretty straight-forward. All it takes is one person with authority at the corporate level to do the exact same thing and then update the eligibility requirements on the rate.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Marriott doesn't offer a discount to government employees or to contractors out of some form of patriotic thanks. It's a business proposition. Same way they offer discounts to large companies, AAA members and so on.

The economy is better, people are traveling more and willing to pay higher rates. So Marriotts limit the rooms and who can get them.
I do understand the point your making but there is one big difference between the government per diems and the other discounts....the GSA sets their rate - it's up to the hotel if they'll accept that rate, with other discounts the hotels set the rate
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
But they do offer the discount to my fellow contractors. When I travel on a task with Lockheed folks their travel portal rates are govt rates and they can get it fine...
actually Lockheed doesn't receive the government rate....but they do require (in many locations) that their rate be equal to the local per diem rates as set by the GSA, technically different but in $$$ it's the same
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:21 am

Would you classify Public Schools Teachers at State Employees and thus eligible for the State Government rate?

My Parents work for the State University (public school) and are allowed the State Rate. One is paid directly by the state and the other by the County.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Would you classify Public Schools Teachers at State Employees and thus eligible for the State Government rate?

My Parents work for the State University (public school) and are allowed the State Rate. One is paid directly by the state and the other by the County.
Opinions/votes here are irrelevant. Paycheck from the state government = state employee. But each property will interpret differently. Some will demand and only accept state ID, some will accept public school ID, some will accept local government ID, some will ask for ID but will do nothing more than glance at it; most won't even ask for ID. My advice is to ask property in advance of stay and if told that that whatever is acceptable, ask them to notate in reservation to avoid problems when checking in.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by socrates
I do understand the point your making but there is one big difference between the government per diems and the other discounts....the GSA sets their rate - it's up to the hotel if they'll accept that rate, with other discounts the hotels set the rate
Common misperception. GSA does not set the rate. GSA sets the rate at which it will reimburse federal employees. And, it permits, with proper supervisory approval, reimbursement at up to 300% of that rate.

This is no different than any other employer. The employer sets the maximum it will reimburse (or chooses not to set a maximum) and it is up to the employee to find a hotel which will house him at the maximum reimbursement he will receive.

Whether you work for the federal government or Corporation ABC, if the maximum reimbursement is $150 and the property at which you want to stay won't sell you a room for less than $200, your choices are to stay somewhere else, eat the $50 or seek a waiver.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Common misperception. GSA does not set the rate.
Socrates posted "the GSA sets their rate." I assume what he meant is that the GSA sets the federal government per diem. Clearly he knows, as do most of us, that the GSA has no authority to set a hotel's government rate, or any other rate. There is no contractual relationship and, as of now, there is no federal law which authorizes the federal government to decide a hotel's rate, government or otherwise. On the other hand, maybe that will be the newest executive order.

Last edited by ohmark; Oct 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The last three places I checked, the senior rate was less than the Government rate
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rstidolph
The last three places I checked, the senior rate was less than the Government rate
Very much the exception to the rule.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by rstidolph
That generally depends on the day of the week (on weekends, senior rates generally cheaper) and the locale.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:24 pm

This is interesting to say the least. I've noticed the last two check-ins (both in Florida), that they have requested the government card from me. The last time I've been asked this was over two years ago.

I have a slight problem with this. I do have a card, but the first hotel and I got in quite an argument as they wanted to make a copy of my government ID, which is actually against federal law. Second, both hotels wanted to carefully examine the card. I have no problem with a quick glance, but the fact is that on my federal ID, my SSN is listed on there - I don't like openly sharing my SSN & DOB with some desk agent I just met one minute ago. What is Marriott hoping to achieve out of this - can't wait till an identify theft issue comes up and a class action lawsuit hits Marriott for this.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
I have a slight problem with this. I do have a card, but the first hotel and I got in quite an argument as they wanted to make a copy of my government ID, which is actually against federal law.
The front desk clerk wants to make a copy to demonstrate to management that he/she fulfilled his/her duty to check ID. I simply carried a copy of the statute when traveling. Since the statute mentions six months in prison and a fine, I never had a clerk further insist. http://www.aerotechnews.com/lukeafb/...ibited-by-law/
http://www.merchantcircle.com/answer...-FBI--ICE-etc-

Last edited by ohmark; Oct 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
The front desk clerk wants to make a copy to demonstrate to management that he/she fulfilled his/her duty to check ID. I simply carried a copy of the statute when traveling. Since the statute mentions six months in prison and a fine, I never had a clerk further insist. http://www.aerotechnews.com/lukeafb/...ibited-by-law/
http://www.merchantcircle.com/answer...-FBI--ICE-etc-
Well done you. Others should probably copy that & bring w/ them too. In your second link it sounds like the FDC knew it wasn't kosher but needed something to show to management showing it wasn't.

Cheers
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
on my federal ID, my SSN is listed on there - I don't like openly sharing my SSN & DOB with some desk agent I just met one minute ago.
Ummm, federal ID cards do not list DOB or SSN, is this card something you picked up in Bangkok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.