Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by plagwate
Frankly, I don't understand your passion over this issue.
Please don't confuse your "passion" with my experience, insights and opinions.

Originally Posted by plagwate
Unless you've been a government contractor (or managed a government contract), you're really in no position to speak on what a government client's expectations are.
I've done both, but thank you for asking.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by dayone
Please don't confuse your "passion" with my experience, insights and opinions.

Lots of things have changed in the last few years. I am held to being within USG per diem for hotels on multiple contracts. Before I could go over and my company could pay the difference. No more
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I'm also a contractor (Natl Lab) we will only get reimbursed the Fed Govt rate.. Proving I work for the lab I have never had an issue..
The day Marriott denies me Govt rate is the day they loose my business and the 1000's of folks at my lab..
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
OP posting again. Thanks all for comments. As I said, I didn't intend this to be a debate about contractor using gov rates. I just wanted to point out what I have seen in my previous 700+ nights with Marriott and what happened the other night.

Prior to the other night I had never had an issue. In instances where I though the gov rate was too low and they'd deny it for sure I'd call to ask (like at the JW Denver, reg rate is $350, gov rate is $150 - they said as long as I had a gov't ID I was fine). I didn't think to call the FS Marriott in downtown SAT because we had stayed there before without issue.

Again, in a big city like SAT with plenty of options it isn't hard to find a hotel within PD ($115 BTW). I don't have to stay at FS props, but of course it is nice. I am worried that in cities like Hampton VA (PD is $82 maybe) I won't be able to find a Marriott or even decent hotel for that (esp in the Summer). Other cities I'm worried about would be Roseville CA (NE suburb of SAC), Wichita, Ft Walton Beach FL, Macon GA, Anchorage, HNL, etc.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Gov't rate threads make roll-over threads look easy

Cheers
Ha!

I certainly can understand the conflicting issue here, if the JW Denver usually gets $350 for a room and gives them away for $150, I'm sure they would want to limit the number of rooms, right or wrong. That difference takes a lot of volume to make up.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I'm also a contractor (Natl Lab) we will only get reimbursed the Fed Govt rate.. Proving I work for the lab I have never had an issue..
I think they don't know that the national labs are contracted out. They instead just a scary looking purple badge with a Q next to it and wonder just what you're entitled to know
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Problem is the Gov't will only allow a contractor to bill at the Gov't per diem rate. Anything above that, the company has to pay.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I think they don't know that the national labs are contracted out. They instead just a scary looking purple badge with a Q next to it and wonder just what you're entitled to know
^
(Except we are not officially allowed to show it... Catch 22.. except it never comes up..)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Marriott doesn't offer a discount to government employees or to contractors out of some form of patriotic thanks. It's a business proposition. Same way they offer discounts to large companies, AAA members and so on.

The economy is better, people are traveling more and willing to pay higher rates. So Marriotts limit the rooms and who can get them.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Often1
Marriott doesn't offer a discount to government employees or to contractors out of some form of patriotic thanks. It's a business proposition. Same way they offer discounts to large companies, AAA members and so on.

The economy is better, people are traveling more and willing to pay higher rates. So Marriotts limit the rooms and who can get them.
But they do offer the discount to my fellow contractors. When I travel on a task with Lockheed folks their travel portal rates are govt rates and they can get it fine...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dayone
Likewise. Thank you for burning the previous poster's strawman to the ground!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by cova
Problem is the Gov't will only allow a contractor to bill at the Gov't per diem rate. Anything above that, the company has to pay.

exactly and that excess per diem must be charged as an unallowable expense. in essence the company cannot charge the excess per diem in another way shape or form (ie., indirect rates which would get billed to the govt contract)

most contractors in this case of excess per diem would bill the per diem as an allowable amount to the contract (or overhead pool) and the excess above PD to an unallowable account which for the contract comes out of their bottom line (profit)

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
But they do offer the discount to my fellow contractors. When I travel on a task with Lockheed folks their travel portal rates are govt rates and they can get it fine...
Of course, Lockheed is the largest of defense contractors and has the most clout of any defense contractor with MR. I'm not sure if both being Bethesda based has anything to do with this as well. Just something I noticed.

Last edited by bdschobel; Oct 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm Reason: removed corporate code
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Are they booking a government rate or a Lockheed corporate rate that happens to match the government rate? Big difference in terms of potential availability and in documenting eligibility.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Are they booking a government rate or a Lockheed corporate rate that happens to match the government rate? Big difference in terms of potential availability and in documenting eligibility.
Lockheed has a corp rate that matches per diem as most large defense contractors have such corp rates

Last edited by bdschobel; Oct 3, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reason: removed corporate code
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
exactly and that excess per diem must be charged as an unallowable expense. in essence the company cannot charge the excess per diem in another way shape or form (ie., indirect rates which would get billed to the govt contract)
m
I am not allowed to have a receipt on some contracts that is above per diem even if my company, which I run and will pay the difference above per diem for my employees. If the receipt is above per diem and we pay the difference including taxes it will be rejected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.