Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Feature: My Badges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cbellero
That said, back to my previous question, I have had more than two stays at the same CY but have not received the CV badge. Perhaps the stays have to be at different hotels? Has anyone received a badge yet (beyond the status level badge)?
I have had the same experience as you. Since signing up, I've had 3 stays at the same brand. Location shouldn't matter.

"Stay two times at the same hotel brand and earn a brand badge (25 points each)."
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Sousaphil
I have had the same experience as you. Since signing up, I've had 3 stays at the same brand. Location shouldn't matter.

"Stay two times at the same hotel brand and earn a brand badge (25 points each)."
Marriott IT strikes again

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by cbellero
TheConsultant, if you look at what people will go through to get badges and similar achievements in online games, then you would see that this could work for a new target audience.
This I get, to some extent, for my teenage son...

At least there is something "tangible" beyond the smoke and mirrors of a "badge", it recognizes mastery and skill, achievement of different levels and provides bragging rights to his peers playing the same game.

This rewards you (basically nothing) you for checking into a hotel twice? Nothing to be proud of or brag about here.

Now, if they really wanted to change behavior and make this a fun game, how about a 100,000 point bonus for staying once or twice at each brand over the course of a year? I've never stayed at a RC before but would now have a reason to do so.

I'll never get marketing...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Hi joshua362,

I do not think that Marriott is going after people like you that are not into this kind of stuff. They are after people that are into this. There is a whole industry worth billions that you will probably "not get" that is based upon badges, achievements, etc. that both young people and adults (including my 85 year old aunt according to her Facebook updates) buy into. I get the psychology but choose to not participate, because the things are by design meant to hook you (not so much dissimilar to the frequent flyer programs, just with potentially a better design).

Users spend many, many hours trying to get these achievements and badges. The majority of them will not then go out to a forum to brag about it. They are not in it for any kind of real-world monetary gain, like mileage running is all about. As a matter of fact, many people will spend real-world money to accelerate their ability to earn achievements and badges faster.

I believe Marriott is establishing an initial platform with this that could be used for more cross-promotional purposes in the future. I could imagine things like:

1. A Christmas-time badge like "Eat more than Santa" requiring you to have eaten three times while staying in a Marriott in December.
2. Mini Bar Marathon Runner
3. Coca-Cola Chief (sponsored by Coca Cola as a promotion)
4. Social Celebrator (eat at a Marriott with a party of 10 or more)
5. Pampered Person (have 10 spa visits)
6. Busy Businessman (use paid business centre services)

I believe the more they can gamify it and differentiate it from the MR program, the more traction it will get. However, I highly doubt it will ever become a serious way of earning MR points, as that would be self-defeating.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

After two weeks since my social media activity, my social media badge posted today. Nothing about the CY badge though for two stays at a CY.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, apparently its broken... stayed at a Marriott 2x a couple weeks ago and nothing there. Oh well, its just some silly thing anyway that I'm going to ignore since we get credit for any of previous stays.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Just noticed today that a Courtyard badge appeared in my account and the 25 points posted as well.

I am normally of sucker for those gamification of travel. I will admit that I spent an extra $3k with Air Canada Earn Your Wings to collect wings and destination badges. The prize at the end is however worth it, finish in the top 20 and you win your share of 10 millions miles (split across the top 20 participants at the end) along with extra miles and status collected during travel and contest.

In this case, there is a complete lack of incentive to go out of my way to collect badges.. I will continue to book the most convenient hotel for me.

I think to make this works it would need to be:
  • Time constrained - Puts pressure that you must complete it soon
  • Action/Activity based - For example, visit Paris and London or stay at 3 brands in the same month
  • Social - Needs a leaderboard so we can compare our activities against others, it makes it more competitive
  • Prizes - To create the incentive - Higher prizes means that people will go further out of their way to play

And if Marriott wants to discuss more with me, I'm currently working on an assignment across the street from the Ritz Carlton headquarters or 3 stops on the metro from Marriott headquarters!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Checked my account again today and a couple badges have shown up - Ren & FS, but JW & SHS and possibly CY are missing. No points for the two that did post.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I have found that my second Renaissance stay since the program start date posted along with the badge and extra points being awarded at the same time. It seems like this program has moved to real-time crediting of the badge-related transactions.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5 brand badge and 50 points posted same day
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Badges and corresponding points also seem to be posting quickly for me. Closing in on 1,000 lifetime nights and those few extra points can't hurt.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP, AC
I stayed 10/05-10/12 and 10/13-10/17 and got the Marriott badge and 25pts. Posted the same day as my second stay points posted. I did stay at the same Marriott.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:52 pm

Earning Preferences…Badges?

I am Lifetime Platinum/Platinum Premier and I was looking on my account and noticed there was an option for earning badges. Is this in lieu of points? Is this an option for all levels? What good does a badge do me?? Very vague on the site. Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's some new thing, you get very few points and it's not a replacement for points. There was at least 1 thread on the badges on here
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Here is the thread I was thinking of

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...my-badges.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.