Search

Elite 10% Gift Shop Discount

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Elite 10% Gift Shop Discount

Hi,

Just wondering how this works at a Marriott Resort (I know the RC's have a different set of rules). What is considered the resort's "gift shop?" If I go into one of the several on-property bodegas and grab a sandwich and a Coke, would the 10% apply? Are clerks generally knowledgeable of this discount?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bosnyc
Hi,

Just wondering how this works at a Marriott Resort (I know the RC's have a different set of rules). What is considered the resort's "gift shop?" If I go into one of the several on-property bodegas and grab a sandwich and a Coke, would the 10% apply? Are clerks generally knowledgeable of this discount?

Thanks.
"Get a 10% discount when you present your Elite membership card at participating Marriott-operated and managed gift shops. (At participating EDITION hotels and The Ritz-Carlton, discount applies to logo-merchandise only.)"

If it's a 3rd-party gift shop at a resort it won't apply. In the past (not sure if it's true today but think it probably is) the 10% discount applied to merchandise, not sundries. I don't think a sandwich/coke would get the discount. And not all clerks are familiar with it. If you're staying at a resort I'd ask them which shops on-site it applies to or email them in advance.
Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've had zero luck with using that discount... I don't even consider it a benefit. I get blank looks when I ask at a resort even when its marriott operated. Even normal hotels they didn't know about it.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bosnyc
If I go into one of the several on-property bodegas and grab a sandwich and a Coke, would the 10% apply?
No. As mentioned by Sharon, sundries are excluded.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
I've given up all together on this 10% thing. T&C says somewhere that it's only at participating hotels, and they all seem to use that as an out when I point them to the elite benefits page.

Last time I used it was at the JW Khao Lak, Thailand where ms. mapelle621 wanted a Marriott branded polo. The gift shop people looked at me as if I was an alien, and stated that they don't do that. I drew the line and went to see front desk on principal as I had nothing better to do; they requested that I show them where that benefit was written as they never heard of it. After a brief search with the manager, they took that $2.50 right off the bill. I sure showed them
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've not used it in a # of years, but there have been some properties where I got the 10% off. It was on clothing or jewelry, not sundries.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.