Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fairfield Inn Portsmouth (New Hampshire) Seacoast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.

any experiences here? Search only turned up properties in Portsmouth, VA and in the UK. Feel free to point me to a hiding master thread if there is one.

I know from the Trip Advisor reviews that it's not a world beater, but seems adequate as base to explore Portsmouth, NH and Kittery/York, Maine areas. I'm an SPG person, but their property is booked and my travel partner is Marriot loyal so we went with the Fairfield.

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you don't get any updates, please post a 'trip report' in this thread after you've stayed there. Your fellow FTers would appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you don't get any updates, please post a 'trip report' in this thread after you've stayed there. Your fellow FTers would appreciate it.

Cheers.
Absolutely. Will do it either way in case any updates aren't recent stays.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I stayed there some years ago. It's basically a suburban hotel in a very boring location.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

and I'm not going to be able to provide a trip report as my SPG Ambassador just contacted me to let me know a room opened up at the Sheraton. So false start, but hope this thread ends up helping someone going forward.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
I live about 10 miles from hotel (when I'm actually there) but have not stayed here.

Location is at the Portsmouth traffic circle. There is basically nothing walkable in that area so a "base" hotel with car is exactly what it is. Easy on/off the highway for sure.

My suggestion, go to the Portsmouth Gas Light restaurant in downtown and do the brick oven pizza.

If you drink at all, don't miss the NH Liquor Store at the traffic circle. Probably some of the cheapest prices you will find for top shelf selection in the US. I laugh at all the people around the world who think duty free is a savings.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & tips. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wethereyet

My suggestion, go to the Portsmouth Gas Light restaurant in downtown and do the brick oven pizza.

If you drink at all, don't miss the NH Liquor Store at the traffic circle. Probably some of the cheapest prices you will find for top shelf selection in the US. I laugh at all the people around the world who think duty free is a savings.
You're the third person in two days to recommend Portsmouth Gas Light . I think we're doing that for lunch. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:11 pm

I've stayed there many times - nothing special, but the desk crew is generally very friendly and helpful. They always give Plats a welcome bag in addition to points, too.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by travellingcari
any experiences here? Search only turned up properties in Portsmouth, VA and in the UK. Feel free to point me to a hiding master thread if there is one.

I know from the Trip Advisor reviews that it's not a world beater, but seems adequate as base to explore Portsmouth, NH and Kittery/York, Maine areas. I'm an SPG person, but their property is booked and my travel partner is Marriot loyal so we went with the Fairfield.

Thanks!
We did a similar trip a few years ago. Portsmouth is fun little town. I would recommend a visit to the Portsmouth Brewery which is a brew pub in the downtown area and if you like breweries then a small drive out to Red Hook Brewery. We travelled as far north as Portland ME and then drove a highway back. The drive included a visit to Kennebunkport among other small Maine towns along the southern Maine coast. We ate lobster and visited a spectacular lighthouse in that drive.

We stayed at the Wentworth by the Sea. Check it out.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
Pretty similar report as the previous ones. Nothing too special about the hotel but the adjacent area is very cute and the front desk had a great map of the area which made navigating the area really easy.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I stayed at the Sheraton 3 years ago only because the RI next door wanted a ton of points, wouldn't give an upgrade and parking was ridiculous. From both places you could walk everywhere. Quaint little town. I also echo the NH Liquor stores, the savings compared to NY are incredible, anytime I pass through the State or stay close to its borders, I take home a minimum of $500 worth...

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 7, 2014 at 6:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I stayed at the Sheraton 3 years ago only because the RI next door wanted a ton of points, wouldn't give an upgrade and parking was ridiculous. From both places you could walk everywhere. Quaint little town. I also echo the NH Liquor stores, the savings compared to NY are incredible, anytime I pass through the State or stay close to its boarders, I take home a minimum of $500 worth...
I hate the Residence Inn in Portsmouth. And god forbid a wedding being booked there when you plan to stay during summer. You get treated like 2nd class citizen.

We went there for a night so could walk to hotel after night on the town and would never stay there again.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by travellingcari
You're the third person in two days to recommend Portsmouth Gas Light . I think we're doing that for lunch. Thanks!
Go at night is you are spending time in downtown Portsmouth. Lots of bars and outdoor/patio live music to take in. The drive from Portsmouth along 1A down to Hampton is really nice then you can take I-95 back to hotel...

You can go to the Portland Headlight and then work your way down Route 1 in Maine and pass through K-port.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Will post a trip report in the appropriate SPG forum, but a few things that are relevant here.

Location is at the Portsmouth traffic circle. There is basically nothing walkable in that area so a "base" hotel with car is exactly what it is. Easy on/off the highway for sure.
Oh that blasted circle. We got stuck in it three times and once we went into the liquor store's lot to get our bearings to get out. We did hit a liquor store before leaving the state (in a strip mall on I think Islington St. in Portsmouth) because we heard great things but were trying to avoid the circle. We couldn't, alas. I can deal with Massachusetts rotaries, but not that blasted thing.

Go at night is you are spending time in downtown Portsmouth. Lots of bars and outdoor/patio live music to take in. The drive from Portsmouth along 1A down to Hampton is really nice then you can take I-95 back to hotel...
I loved the Portsmouth area, but we ran out of time. We got an early start from Sunapee and got to the Portsmouth area late morning. We headed up to York and made our way down via Kittery (quick visits, but Maine needed to come off my bucket list) and the draw bridge back into town. We took local roads down to North Hampton where we did Fuller Gardens before coming back up and puttering around Portsmouth. Loved the shops on Deer and Congress Streets and Market Sq. Such a fun little town. I'll be back.

Saw the Residence Inn and Hilton Garden Inn. Never saw the Fairfield, but was glad to be right downtown.

Thanks again all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.