Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott San Mateo (Near SFO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:49 am
CLG
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Marriott San Mateo (Near SFO)

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any reviews and/or tips about staying at the Marriott San Mateo right near the 101 & SFO? I'm going to be in that area for a weekend in September, and even though I normally stay at the Hyatt to enjoy the views of the planes, this hotel is tempting me due to the special off they're running for 1 BR suites.

How is the elite recognition? How about the lounge? I have Ritz Plat, but hardly ever stay at traditional Marriott properties. I tried doing a search, but it seems that the only thing I could find was that in 2012 the lounge was closed on the weekends.

Any helpful points would be appreciated. Thanks!

-CLG
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I've stayed there many times over the past 10 years. Very nice. The "club lounge" is very good - hot breakfast. The evening Hors d'oeuvres are often enough to cover for dinner.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
* San Mateo / San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport / CLOSED / Breakfast in restaurant including hot items; wireless; 03/14 update
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CLG
Does anyone have any reviews and/or tips about staying at the Marriott San Mateo right near the 101 & SFO? I'm going to be in that area for a weekend in September, and even though I normally stay at the Hyatt to enjoy the views of the planes, this hotel is tempting me due to the special off they're running for 1 BR suites.
Note that if you're looking for a hotel similar in location to the Hyatt SFO, you want the Marriott SFO. The Marriott San Mateo is 8 miles south. It's a nice hotel, it's just that you will not see aircraft on approach or be alongside the bay.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:06 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
It's talked about frequently in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...o-airport.html
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:25 am
CLG
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Note that if you're looking for a hotel similar in location to the Hyatt SFO, you want the Marriott SFO. The Marriott San Mateo is 8 miles south. It's a nice hotel, it's just that you will not see aircraft on approach or be alongside the bay.
Thanks, yes. I actually need to be in San Mateo this trip, so the location is pulling me away from the usual spot. I was just curious as to the quality of the hotel & experience.

The last post on the lounge thread about this specific hotel was dated in 2012, so perhaps the policy hasn't changed and the lounge is still closed on the weekends (?).

I'll check through the SFO thread mentioned in the last post, but it's obviously a mix of a bunch of properties. I was curious about this specific one.

CLG
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:40 am
CLG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
It's talked about frequently in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...o-airport.html
Thanks, somehow missed this thread before. About 75 posts in, the info becomes very useful!

CLG
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by CLG

The last post on the lounge thread about this specific hotel was dated in 2012, so perhaps the policy hasn't changed and the lounge is still closed on the weekends (?).

CLG
The last update (which I also posted for you in this thread; post #3 above) was from March 2014 listed in the exec lounge sticky. So not 2012.

This is a good reference on properties & exec lounges:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:11 am
CLG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The last update (which I also posted for you in this thread; post #3 above) was from March 2014 listed in the exec lounge sticky. So not 2012.

This is a good reference on properties & exec lounges:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.
I stand corrected
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by CLG
I stand corrected
Just wanted to let you know there's a resource that provides as much up to date info on the exec lounge stuff re: open/closed as we can make it. Of course it's dependent upon FTers posting in the exec lounge sticky thread or me reading the property threads to try & find out recent updates.

So if you stay at the property, please post here or in the exec lounge sticky if the info is still accurate or if it's changed. I'll update w/ the date of your report, which will help other FTers if they stay at the property

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I was at this hotel last year in December. The lounge is excellent for evening appetizers that are more like dinner, desserts (will not run out if you show up at 9:30 to get some) and breakfast. The staff in the concierge lounge are wonderful and among the best in the United States.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:19 pm

This hotel is very nice on the inside. Annoyances when arriving still make it one of my least favorite Marriotts.

The entire parking lot is blocked by gates that require a room key to open. I checked in online, and parked under the porte-cochère (just like at many, many other hotels) to retrieve my room key.

The valet literally stalked after me through the lobby demanding my car keys, and grabbing at my hand while I held them, supposedly in case a tour bus suddenly arrived and he might need to move my car. (No, I was definitely nowhere near a fire lane, and no tour buses or even airport shuttles arrived for a good while after I checked in.)

Later on, I looked for parking spots outside the automatic gates for people checking in, but I couldn't find one. There wasn't even any signage about where else to park when checking in. (I don't want to accuse the valets of grabbing self-parkers' cars and valet-parking them, since I avoided that, and I didn't see it happen to anyone else, but….)

Previously, I had used the airport shuttle to stay at the hotel for a single night. On the way back to the airport, the shuttle driver (who brought me from the airport to the hotel the day before) spent the whole trip berating me for such a short stay.

The room service food was quite good, and the grounds were very well kept. The hotel is on a cul-de-sac near residential single-family homes, and it was quiet even during a wedding reception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.