Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Traveling crosscountry with my dog, do I tell the hotel in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

I have never checked into a hotel with my dog before but am are moving cross country and will spend a number of days on the road and staying in Marriott pet friendly hotels (mostly Residence Inns and Towne Suites). My question is do I just put it in the reservation notes that I will have my dog with me or simply show up. These will be long days of driving solo and I do not want to arrive and be told there are no rooms for her in the inn but I do not see anything on the reservation form that asks for this information regardless of advertising their pet friendliness. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I do not have a pet, but my advice would be to make direct contact with each property, especially if there will be late arrivals to make sure they block you into a preferred room. You might also want to confirm if they impose a pet fee in addition to the room rate. Best to be prepared rather than surprised.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
This.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not presume or worse, assume, anything. Call each property and make certain that they will permit your dog and that they have a "dog" room for you. If you are arriving late, call the FD on the day of to make certain that they know that you are on your way.

Also, confirm any special pet fees both in terms of room rate and cleaning.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For what it's worth, when I spent a few days driving from DC to Vegas with my dog, we stayed mostly in Motel 6's since they don't have any fees. Mind you, I just stayed at the St Regis in DC this past week, but when I was roadtripping with my dog, Motel 6 for an overnight stay worked out well as we never knew where we were gonna get tired & need to sleep.

That said, you may want to call in advance - or at least have a reservation in advance. If you show up with a reservation, you should be fine with the dog.

Some hotels do have do limitations (i.e. a German Shepard may not be as welcome as a Scottish Terrier due to size & weight).
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
For what it's worth, when I spent a few days driving from DC to Vegas with my dog, we stayed mostly in Motel 6's since they don't have any fees. Mind you, I just stayed at the St Regis in DC this past week, but when I was roadtripping with my dog, Motel 6 for an overnight stay worked out well as we never knew where we were gonna get tired & need to sleep.

That said, you may want to call in advance - or at least have a reservation in advance. If you show up with a reservation, you should be fine with the dog.

Some hotels do have do limitations (i.e. a German Shepard may not be as welcome as a Scottish Terrier due to size & weight).
Absolutely call ahead of time.

Just relocated from Portland, OR to West Palm Beach, FL and used Best Western, Motel 6 and La Quinta Inns along the way. No fees at any of them. Not all Best Westerns take pets though (clearly spelled out on their website).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My sister used LaQuintas when she traveled w/ the dogs. My advice is if you're sticking w/ Marriott brands, contact the properties in advance so you don't arrive to find out there's a problem.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My advice is if you're sticking w/ Marriott brands, contact the properties in advance so you don't arrive to find out there's a problem.
As bhatnasx implies, whether its a Marriott or any other hotel chain, I'd still call ahead just to let them know. To me, I'd rather spend an extra couple of minutes up front and not have an "issue" to deal with later on.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With one day stays Marriott's fees are going to be onerous. It is one thing to pay a 75 pet cleaning fee for a 5 day stay, quite another for just 1.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
As bhatnasx implies, whether its a Marriott or any other hotel chain, I'd still call ahead just to let them know. To me, I'd rather spend an extra couple of minutes up front and not have an "issue" to deal with later on.
I agree with you.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
These will be long days of driving solo.
I hope your dog doesn't read this.....
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and wisdom. In taking the advise I have read here, I am rethinking my plan to stay in Marriott properties on this roadtrip.

As I have already requalified for next year, I do see the logic of staying at no fee lodgings near the freeway (i.e. La Quinta, etc.) All of the Marriott properties that I was considering had a $33-$100 non-refundable cleaning fee per stay which as someone pointed out is a lot when only staying one night, I had originally thought that was fairly universal fee charged by all hotels and the cost of traveling with a dog, thanks for setting me straight.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Thanks everyone for your quick replies and wisdom. In taking the advise I have read here, I am rethinking my plan to stay in Marriott properties on this roadtrip.

As I have already requalified for next year, I do see the logic of staying at no fee lodgings near the freeway (i.e. La Quinta, etc.) All of the Marriott properties that I was considering had a $33-$100 non-refundable cleaning fee per stay which as someone pointed out is a lot when only staying one night, I had originally thought that was fairly universal fee charged by all hotels and the cost of traveling with a dog, thanks for setting me straight.
If you looking for at staying at a more upscale hotel, Kimptons are also pet friendly hotels with no fees but the chain has a limited footprint.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:41 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Leisuremiles,

First... good luck on your move!

I think you are taking the right decision. Since you will be doing many one night stays, the pet costs can add up quickly.

When I had an 8 month stay at a Residence Inn, it only cost $75 total for our two cats... was told it would be that rate for one night or 365 nights!

But on single nights, you could find yourself having pet fees greater than the room fee.

I would plan travel to stay at pet friendly/pet fee free properties. Do realize that some of those properties have limited pet rooms, so book as early as you know where you want to be.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:32 am

I have never checked into a hotel with my dog before but am are moving cross country and will spend a number of days on the road and staying in Marriott pet friendly hotels (mostly Residence Inns and Towne Suites). My question is do I just put it in the reservation notes that I will have my dog with me or simply show up. These will be long days of driving solo and I do not want to arrive and be told there are no rooms for her in the inn but I do not see anything on the reservation form that asks for this information regardless of advertising their pet friendliness. Anyone have experience with this?
There is a video on this subject this morning on the USA TODAY website. No subscription required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.