Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

lounge access for platinum under two rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge access for platinum under two rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTH
Doesn't Option 1 still only give access to two of the guests? This is what I'm getting from the hotel, it's a limit of 2 regardless of the number of guests in the reservation.
At this hotel yes, but other people report that at other hotels only registered guests in the Plat's room get access. I suppose I could say all 4 of us are in the same room and we only use the other room for luggage storage. :-)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
There are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 tween/teens) I can:

1) Book a double room and put all 4 of us in there
2) Book two rooms and go 2 and 2

Option 2 gives the hotel more money and is more comfortable for us. It would seem odd to me that a hotel would give lounge access to all 4 of us in Option 1, but to only 2 of us in Option 2.
The last two Marriott I've stayed in - 4 people in one room - were only going to extend elite benefits to two guests. In both cases I was able to negotiate benefits for three or four, but both times the front desk said "this is an exception".

Renaissance North Chicago (Glenview area): 3-night stay, I offered to give up my two adult Sunday breakfasts to get two child breakfasts for Saturday. They just gave them to me, and let me keep Sunday (which I didn't use).

Marriott MCI Airport: 1-night stay, I offered to trade 1 adult breakfast for 2 child, and again they just gave me the extra breakfasts. (My wife departed on a 6AM flight and didn't eat breakfast.)

Both of those were days when the lounge was closed. I don't know how rigidly they "guard the door" on the lounge. My guess is that is a bit looser but I don't really know.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the new policy was published the Ren in Barcelona, the Gaslamp, and several others I can't think of right now, have given us 4 full breakfasts in the restaurant despite being in 2 rooms. (Ren doesn't have a lounge, Gaslamp has one but it was closed)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LTH
Obviously I know it's entirely their right to enforce the textbook rules.
"Textbook"? It's a basic and well known rule of Plat membership. Really not anything obscure. Had I hoped for anything above and beyond, I'd have reached out in advance. Just me.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Here's the published benefit, quoted from http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi (with emphasis added):
Lounge Access/Free Breakfast

Free daily continental breakfast, light snacks and beverages for members and one guest in the Executive Lounge*. In the U.S. and Canada, choose between 750 bonus points or breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant if the lounge is closed. Select hotels will provide 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast in the event the lounge is closed. Learn more

* At JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels® (resorts excluded)
The benefit is based on the member, not on room (or rooms) booked by the member. The "one guest" could be someone staying in the same room or in a different room.

Of course, hotels can be more generous.

If the room is officially upgraded to a concierge level room, everyone in the room would get lounge access. But that would be based on it being a concierge level room, not on the "free daily continental breakfast" benefit for Gold, Platinum, and PP.
artsieange likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
Front desk upgraded but lounge attendant denied access

At the Sheraton Tucson, had two rooms under my name. Both rooms were upgraded to the executive floor. The front desk told us that both rooms had access to the lounge and all 4 keys worked in the lounge. So far so good.
We had breakfast included in the rate so we never used the lounge during breakfast but one night we all decided to visit during the evening hour de vours. Someone at the lounge was asking for rooms number so I gave her both rooms numbers and She seemed ok. However, She disappeared and came back 20 minutes later and said that only 2 of us could access the lounge and those rules are new.
I told her the front desk told us otherwise but she said that people working downstairs don’t know the rules and they keep telling people the same thing.
St that point, we all decided to leave the loung.

Here is is the problem: she did that in front of my friends and everyone else in the lounge. why lecture and embarrass platinums in the lounge where you could have easily solved the problem by educating the front desk????
whatever goodwill the hotel could have gotten by upgrading both rooms was completely lost by the behavior of the lounge personnel who could have been more tactful.

I am am not sure who is right as traditionally being on the executive floor guarantees lounge access.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by badm96
At the Sheraton Tucson, had two rooms under my name. Both rooms were upgraded to the executive floor. The front desk told us that both rooms had access to the lounge and all 4 keys worked in the lounge. So far so good.
We had breakfast included in the rate so we never used the lounge during breakfast but one night we all decided to visit during the evening hour de vours. Someone at the lounge was asking for rooms number so I gave her both rooms numbers and She seemed ok. However, She disappeared and came back 20 minutes later and said that only 2 of us could access the lounge and those rules are new.
I told her the front desk told us otherwise but she said that people working downstairs don’t know the rules and they keep telling people the same thing.
St that point, we all decided to leave the loung.

Here is is the problem: she did that in front of my friends and everyone else in the lounge. why lecture and embarrass platinums in the lounge where you could have easily solved the problem by educating the front desk????
whatever goodwill the hotel could have gotten by upgrading both rooms was completely lost by the behavior of the lounge personnel who could have been more tactful.

I am am not sure who is right as traditionally being on the executive floor guarantees lounge access.
Yes, executive floor should have granted lounge access for both rooms regardless how you got there. There is no end to the amusement in watching someone demonstrate their lack of knowledge. This should have been escalated to the FDM for resolution and all parties updated.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
I spoke to GM and he apologized for the way this was handled but doubled down on the policy. Said he would speak to TVs front desk about informing guests better.

I asked around and was told a new GM is making changes (Food/drinks must be be consumed in the lounge, only PLT+1 allowed, executive floor rooms not allowed in the lounge)
Don’t know he is doing so except saving money perhaps.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, executive floor should have granted lounge access for both rooms regardless how you got there. There is no end to the amusement in watching someone demonstrate their lack of knowledge. This should have been escalated to the FDM for resolution and all parties updated.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by badm96
I spoke to GM and he apologized for the way this was handled but doubled down on the policy. Said he would speak to TVs front desk about informing guests better.

I asked around and was told a new GM is making changes (Food/drinks must be be consumed in the lounge, only PLT+1 allowed, executive floor rooms not allowed in the lounge)
Don’t know he is doing so except saving money perhaps.
I can imagine some properties taking advantage of the confusion caused by the merger and going rouge regarding the program. If you feel they are truly violating the program/brand rules then a report to Marriott is appropriate to let them know what's happening and they decide if changes need to be made. The risk here is if their approach is profitable to both the property and Marriott, it could become the new standard.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:02 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I think if the front desk has told you that both rooms have access to the lounge, that should be the end of the discussion, even if it was in error. The fact that even the GM didn't stand by what the guests have been told by the front desk doesn't leave much hope for the future of the hotel. The correct reaction of the GM, after apologizing for the lounge agent's behaviour, should have been to make an exception, even if it is only to make up for the embarrassment caused by essentially having been kicked out of the lounge.
HTB.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jadam
From my one experience, this hotel is very by the book. I regularly gift rooms to family members and they are always given lounge access even though I am not there. The JW Seoul was the first hotel to inform my guest that since I was not staying they are entitled to none of my benefits.
I had my brother in law checking in before me at the Sheraton Waikiki and they told me he WOULD NOT have lounge access or any of my benefits until I arrived and they gave me a key to it. Sticklers for sure in Hawaii!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:16 pm

This is American based but do people actually get checked if they are supposed to be in the M Lounge? I have been to 100's of Hotels in USA and never been asked if I belong or my multiple guest belongs! I rarely see a employee in the M Lounge anyway. Most of the time they restock and can't wait to walk out. I bring in 3-5 guests in all the time. I never ask the front desk as I assume nobody would ever say something.

Are there properties where they are standing there with a clipboard asking for your room number and how many guest?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott15
This is American based but do people actually get checked if they are supposed to be in the M Lounge? I have been to 100's of Hotels in USA and never been asked if I belong or my multiple guest belongs! I rarely see a employee in the M Lounge anyway. Most of the time they restock and can't wait to walk out. I bring in 3-5 guests in all the time. I never ask the front desk as I assume nobody would ever say something.

Are there properties where they are standing there with a clipboard asking for your room number and how many guest?
They did at the Marriott Marquis San Francisco when I was there in November. Many interlopers who tried to enter were turned away.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
They did at the Marriott Marquis San Francisco when I was there in November. Many interlopers who tried to enter were turned away.
Was this during them serving breakfast or dinner/drinks?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Was this during them serving breakfast or dinner/drinks?
Both

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.