FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Tip envelopes in rooms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1584246-tip-envelopes-rooms.html)

dimramon Jun 10, 2014 9:46 am

Tip envelopes in rooms

I am new to Marriott, and I am staying in a Courtyard this week.

When I got to my room, there was a tip envelope sitting on the desk in front of the lamp. It had the name of the housekeeper and my room number on the envelope.

Yesterday, I cleared the desk to put down some paperwork and when I got to my room at night, a new envelope was up there, again with my room number and the name of the cleaning lady.

I have never seen that before in any of the hotels I stay at. I don't want to get into a discussion around tips, but I think it's very tacky and would definitely not encourage me to leave a tip.

Also, why would my room number be on there... Is she keeping track of who tips and how much and for what purpose?

Fwiw: this is what the envelope looks like: http://www.americanhotel.com/Product...px?R=U72RATP-W

I dont know if this is a Marriott thing, or if this is something that housekeeper does?

Often1 Jun 10, 2014 10:12 am

At higher end properties, the staff keeps track of everything, including tips. That's why some people get great rooms when they come back and others get the ice machine. Or, it's why room service arrives cold and so on.

4getofn Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am

Never seen a "tip envelope" ... My stays however, are only domestic.

dimramon Jun 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 23009772)
At higher end properties, the staff keeps track of everything, including tips. .

Interesting. However, I doubt a Courtyard falls into the category of higher end properties.

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 23010226)
Never seen a "tip envelope" ... My stays however, are only domestic.

Same here, most of my stays are domestic, including this location.

mrsjon01 Jun 10, 2014 1:24 pm

IME tip envelopes are more common at the lower end properties, across many brands. I have no idea of the real reason why, but my guess is that they expect the guests who frequent these properties to be less knowledgeable about tipping etiquette. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just that it's my guess.

4getofn Jun 10, 2014 1:27 pm

So what Courtyard are you staying at ?

Eujeanie Jun 10, 2014 1:37 pm

I've seen a card with the housekeeper's name on it "my name is so and so and I'll be taking care of your room" as a gentle hint but never an envelope.

dimramon Jun 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 23011244)
So what Courtyard are you staying at ?

Providence, RI.

4getofn Jun 10, 2014 2:41 pm

I have stayed there a bunch of times but its been a couple of years ... Wasn't that way when I was there. I am at a Courtyard today and I know the GM well. They do have in our rooms the card with the picture of the housekeeping person. I'll ask her what she thinks of the envelopes and I will see if she knows many that do it .. I'll also ask if the picture of the housekeeping person is to encourage tips...

ohmark Jun 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Like most of us, I always leave a tip for the room attendant. Never heard of a "tip envelope."

SkiAdcock Jun 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 23011317)
I've seen a card with the housekeeper's name on it "my name is so and so and I'll be taking care of your room" as a gentle hint but never an envelope.

I've seen that occasionally.

Cheers.

writerguyfl Jun 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Just speculation, but I would guess that a formal tip envelope is there to eliminate the "is that a tip or just money left on the table?" that Housekeepers sometime face. And perhaps the room number is there because the employees are required to turn in their tips so that money is properly taxed.

I'm not sure I like the ambiguity, however. I would have no qualms if the envelope indicated that tips were optional.

Doc Savage Jun 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 23012779)
Just speculation, but I would guess that a formal tip envelope is there to eliminate the "is that a tip or just money left on the table?" that Housekeepers sometime face.

And perhaps the room number is there because the employees are required to turn in their tips so that money is properly taxed.

I'm not sure I like the ambiguity, however. I would have no qualms if the envelope indicated that tips were optional.

This is of course the reason.

Why would the housekeeper need to have the room number written down? She knows where she got it. Sounds like a corporate heavy hand there.

And I highly doubt hotels record the maids tips as Often alleges. Sounds pretty paranoid to me.

writerguyfl Jun 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23012822)
And I highly doubt hotels record the maids tips as Often alleges. Sounds pretty paranoid to me.

I've worked in two upscale hotels. In one, tips weren't tracked. In the other, all cash tips were meticulously tracked. It had nothing to do with the guest. Rather, tips were tracked to ensure that the employees were adhering to tax laws. Additionally, that data was collected and used during union labor negotiations.

I can only speak to where I worked...but, I agree that idea that tips are formally tracked is far-fetched.

First, as a general rule, the overwhelming majority of Housekeeping employees don't ever use computers. That fact means they aren't tracking guest tips.

Second, the people who are assigning rooms are usually managers or supervisors. Even if tips were tracked via guest profiles, there would be no incentive for those folks to give a high tipping repeat guest a better room than a stingy repeat guest.

nacho Jun 11, 2014 4:02 am

Saw it once in Pleasant Marriott.

C17PSGR Jun 11, 2014 6:07 am

I don't remember seeing the envelopes for years but seems like I've seen them in a couple of properties in the past month. Wonder if its a trend.

MSPeconomist Jun 11, 2014 6:18 am

I've always assumed that one of the reasons that more upscale hotels provide stationery including envelopes is to make it easy to tip housekeepers.

wharvey Jun 11, 2014 10:52 am

Do you honestly believe that "most of us" leave a tip for the room attendant?

Other threads.. especially in TravelBuzz would not support that statement.

Originally Posted by ohmark (Post 23011835)
Like most of us, I always leave a tip for the room attendant. Never heard of a "tip envelope."

Eujeanie Jun 11, 2014 11:10 am

I always leave a tip...I would not want to clean someone else's scummy bathroom habits - I think they well deserve it.

Maybe a higher end hotel has the envelopes to make it more "refined" but we don't frequent the uber high end places, and I've never had someone leave behind the tip (I always write "for housekeeping - thank you" on a note, except on the last day when the note is not necessary.

I usually end up with extra shampoo and towels, and nice smiles in the hallway.

wxguy Jun 11, 2014 11:32 am

The FS Cambridge (MA) has had tip envelopes out for many years.

zebranz Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am

I usually leave tips for various people. To me it is a reward for a very good or exceptional service. Then again, I do always tip the bartender and server even if the service is standard.

If I am paying a fair fee for a hotel room I would not leave a tip if it is expected I should subsidize salaries. They should increase rates, pay their staff accordingly, and not accept tips like the RC in Seoul.

apodo77 Jun 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 23011317)

Same here. I have probably stayed at 40 different CY's in the US (corporate rate is CY friendly) and have never seen an envelope. Seen the card at most of them.

apodo77 Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 23015103)
Saw it once in Pleasant Marriott.

Stayed there in March for 3 nights and didn't see an envelope.
Just a card.
Yours more recent.
Wouldn't bother me as an FYI just curious.

norenewa Jun 13, 2014 3:42 am

Tip envelopes in rooms.

Courtyard in Malvern, PA uses envelopes. I believe the envelopes are in the Burlington Marriott in Massachusetts as well. I always try to tip everyday day but sometimes I forget. I like the gentle reminder but that's just me.

TrojanHorse Jun 13, 2014 4:15 am

I avoid CY's like the plague so I don't have much of a sample to go on but I'll just be another data point that I have never seen the envelopes. I have seen the cards though for years in all ranges of hotels from FI's to FS Marriott Resorts

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 23017079)
Do you honestly believe that "most of us" leave a tip for the room attendant?

Other threads.. especially in TravelBuzz would not support that statement.

Beat me to the punch :D

I was going to say this as I read thru the threads.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 23017189)
I always leave a tip...I would not want to clean someone else's scummy bathroom habits - I think they well deserve it.

Maybe a higher end hotel has the envelopes to make it more "refined" but we don't frequent the uber high end places, and I've never had someone leave behind the tip (I always write "for housekeeping - thank you" on a note, except on the last day when the note is not necessary.

I usually end up with extra shampoo and towels, and nice smiles in the hallway.

First of all, the room should be clean on check in, the maid has no idea who will be in this room next. So if I don't tip on my last day, then the next guest is going to pay for it by her not doing a good job? I don't think so, the maid won't have a job long if thats her M.O.

Second, They are paid to do their job. Unlike the restaurant industry where they make a wage less than minimum wage (another thread for another day) maids hourly wages have to be at least minimum wage (I said at least). There is no reason for me to subsidize their wages. Now I can if I have a reason too such as when my kids were little and the mess was above what I thought was ordinary. Those days deserve a tip. When I'm traveling alone especially for work. There is very little for maid to do beyond what is required by her basic job duties. I don't make much of a mess. No reason to tip. Its a pretty easy gig to get my room when traveling alone.

Third, anytime I have EVER wanted extras whether it be towels, shampoo etc. I've always rec'd it. I will leave a note and/or just ask. Tips have never played a role in whether I get extra or not

CAL PHL FLYER Jun 13, 2014 12:28 pm

There is Always a Tip Envelope in your room at the Full Service Newark International Airport Marriott.NJ

N965VJ Jun 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Looks like another reason to be hatin' on C:rolleyes:urtyards. :p

I've never seen a tip envelope, but maybe I just never noticed while moving all the stuff aside so I have room for my laptop and phones.

I'm a low maintenance guy. I use one towel and one hand cloth. I tidy the room up before I leave. Why should I tip, unless I requested some extra service? The only time I request something is when it's missing. I'm certainly not going to tip when I receive something that should have been there in the first place.

The little note cards signed by housekeeping always seemed to me to be like an "Inspected by #9" kind of thing.

I tip my car service driver, shuttle drivers that help with bags, bell stand folks that hold my bag or shipments, the Lounge attendant if they have a plate set out, etc.

darthbimmer Jun 13, 2014 5:33 pm

At higher end properties, the staff keeps track of everything, including tips. That's why some people get great rooms when they come back and others get the ice machine. Or, it's why room service arrives cold and so on.

I've never left a tip for housekeeping. I don't understand the point of tipping an employee merely for doing the basic job (except in positions that are considered traditionally tipped in the US and thus where employers in many states are allowed to pay them below-minimum wage salaries -- and IMO housekeeping is not one of them).

Part of my rationale, of course, is that I don't wreck the room. If I were to spill a plate of sloppy food on the carpet, or throw up all over the bathroom, or rearrange all the furniture while playing the "The floor is LAVA!" game then I'd leave an appropriate tip in recognition of the fact I made the housekeeper's job much more difficult than it ought to be.

Now, as for your argument that staff at some business track who tips and who doesn't, and deliberately give sub-par service to non tippers-- I've heard that before from a lot of people in various industries. But you know what? I keep track, too. I pay attention to which businesses give me at least "par for the course" service and which fall short.

If I get a crummy room or my room service food is delivered cold, I call to complain. I expect Management to fix it (to the extent possible -- I understand when I get an undesirable room because I checked in late, with no status, on a night with few or no vacancies). If Management can't or won't address fixable problems, or if there's a pattern of problems, I will escalate to corporate management and will also leave negative feedback on ratings sites. And I won't come back. Several times I have shifted thousands of dollars of business away from one travel provider to one of their competitors because they delivered poor service. You REALLY don't want to screw with me just because you're pissed I didn't tip you $1 for cleaning the room like you're supposed to.

Eujeanie Jun 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I grew up in a family of tippers (waitress mother and bartender father). EVEN IF someone makes minimum wage (and I doubt housekeepers make more than that), I live by the philosophy of "there but for the grace of God go I", so yes, I will tip if I think someone does a job I would never want to do. And cleaning up someone's room and bathroom after them...no matter how clean and neat you think you are...falls into that category.

We tip delivery guys if they have a difficult time. My husband had a guy come out to fix his treadmill (under warranty, no bill)...guy had a heck of a time. Gave him a tip. I tip my window washer guy (we have a 3 story house, and he charges a ridiculously low amount).

Can't explain it. We don't feel obligated. We feel very lucky for everything we have and truly appreciate those that make our life easier.

YMMV. I'm happy with what I do.

jn in ca Jun 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 23027107)
I avoid CY's like the plague so I don't have much of a sample to go on but I'll just be another data point that I have never seen the envelopes. I have seen the cards though for years in all ranges of hotels from FI's to FS Marriott Resorts

Yeah, I'm just adding another data point, but I have never seen a tip envelope in any hotel from any chain, from Motel 6 to the Renaissance. If I ever saw one, I would never stay at that establishment again, for sure. An envelope marked "tips" is only one small step above having the employees' kids beg for change at the entrance to the hotel restaurant.

OTOH, I have seen the card with the housekeeper's name many times. No problem, I never thought the card seemed pushy.

elva Jun 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 23009575)
When I got to my room, there was a tip envelope sitting on the desk in front of the lamp. It had the name of the housekeeper and my room number on the envelope.

Never experienced that. I'd find that extremely tacky.

At higher end properties, the staff keeps track of everything, including tips. That's why some people get great rooms when they come back and others get the ice machine.

I do recognize you're just trying to troll but the idea that the front desk manager systematically executes revenge to guest who didn't tip housekeeping during previous stays is just too comical to deserve a rebuttal. :D

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 23017189)
I always leave a tip... I would not want to clean someone else's scummy bathroom habits - I think they well deserve it.

I wouldn't want to run a hotel either, so I guess the GM deserves a tip, too. :) I'd hate to frisk people so a hefty tip goes to the TSA gal. Actually there are hundreds of jobs I wouldn't want to do, apparently all deserving tips for that reason! :D

MSPeconomist Jun 14, 2014 12:07 am

I've always assumed that the purpose of the cards with the housekeeper's name is to encourage them to take pride in their work and perhaps raise morale a bit.

username Jun 14, 2014 1:57 am

The whole tipping thing is just so confusing. I am actually seeing more and more instances where hotel or parking shuttle bus drivers are not tipped - even after helping people with their bags. In Taiwan, where tipping is not the norm, they are trying to get the tipping thing going at hotels.

I too keep my hotel rooms tidy - I actually clean up a little and return things to where they were when I check out. So, unless it is very high end hotels, I don't tip anymore. I think they should tip me for making their lives easy :D

Mrtimothy Jun 17, 2014 6:09 am

I always leave hotel junk mail (tip requests, bills etc.) in a pile on the desk when I leave. Anyway I believe you should only tip when the service was exceptional - and as most of my travel is business and my company doesn't refund tips or service charges exceptional really has to be exceptional.

Shareholder Jun 17, 2014 6:13 am

When I'm staying at a hotel in NAmerica I always leave a tip for the housekeeper, and scribble a "thank you" on the note pad where I leave the money. $1 a night is the norm. My only concern is that it is somehow shared with the night staff who do turndowns. These women (and occasionally men) have the toughest job in the hotel business, making beds (how often do you change the sheets?), cleaning washrooms, clearing away our messes (not that I consciously leave a mess)...and they earn the least money. Actually I would prefer to find an envelop.

Elsewhere in the world, there is a service charge added to the bill, which I assume is divided amongst the housekeeping staff, so I don't leave anything at these properties.

Let's face it, until the US adopts a living wage minimum wage, and we are willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a night to ensure the lowest paid staff get such a wage, then as with wait staff, it becomes the customer who must subsidize the employer by leaving tips for the poorest paid. Unfortunately, the government also "tips" by providing food stamps, medicaid and other support programs because companies like Macdonalds and Walmart won't pay a living wage...surely they are great Corporate Welfare Bums!)

dgoedken Jun 17, 2014 6:16 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 23013851)
I've worked in two upscale hotels. In one, tips weren't tracked. In the other, all cash tips were meticulously tracked. It had nothing to do with the guest. Rather, tips were tracked to ensure that the employees were adhering to tax laws. Additionally, that data was collected and used during union labor negotiations.

I can only speak to where I worked...but, I agree that idea that tips are formally tracked is far-fetched.

First, as a general rule, the overwhelming majority of Housekeeping employees don't ever use computers. That fact means they aren't tracking guest tips.

Second, the people who are assigning rooms are usually managers or supervisors. Even if tips were tracked via guest profiles, there would be no incentive for those folks to give a high tipping repeat guest a better room than a stingy repeat guest.

This seems to infer if used in negotiations, that the more that is tipped, on average, at a hotel, then they can use that to "pay less" on an hourly basis. I would imagine those tracking were mainly for tax purposes, but the union negotiation, while logical, seems to imply that encouraging tipping by guests just inflates profits by hotels....perhaps in lieu of raising room rates....perhaps to just pad the bottom line...

elva Jun 17, 2014 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23047676)
Let's face it, until the US adopts a living wage minimum wage, and we are willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a night to ensure the lowest paid staff get such a wage, then as with wait staff, it becomes the customer who must subsidize the employer by leaving tips for the poorest paid.

Yes, if you subsidize big businesses by tipping, wages will only decrease and you will feel obligated to tip even more.

Podcat Jun 17, 2014 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 23030989)
An envelope marked "tips" is only one small step above having the employees' kids beg for change at the entrance to the hotel restaurant.

+100

Mooseley Jun 17, 2014 11:13 am

No problem

Nothing wrong with it. It clearly identifies the tip and there is no obligation. I have had housekeepers ask me if the money left was intended for them. Especially in foreign countries, employees are given very strict instructions on removing items, even if it clearly is left out for them.

Mooseley Jun 17, 2014 11:20 am

Get With It

After reading the boards, I wonder what is wrong with some people. Being a housekeeper is not an easy job. Leaving a dollar or two sure adds to a basic wage that is fully earned. It seems the people who worry about tipping a maid, also have a problem with a waiter. Think about it, if higher wages were paid the cost of the room would be more. As far as not being reimbursed are you really going to miss a dollar a day (or more if you are feeling generous) to someone who really deserves it. Believe me after seeing what is expected and accomplished by a maid, I have no qualms about sharing a dollar or two. If your really concerned make it up by taking the soap and shampoo with you. With a tip is just might be replaced everyday, needed or not.