Tip envelopes in rooms

Old Sep 10, 14, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JamesEaston View Post
No, don't find it disturbing when I encounter people who have opinions different than mine. I find it disturbing when people have no compassion and use distorted "logic" to justify not helping people in need.
So, yes, you do find it disturbing when you encounter people who disagree with you.

Maybe some day you'll lose everything and have to start cleaning toilets just to buy food. Hopefully that will be your future since that might help you understand why some of the comments were disturbing.
Ah, now you're rejecting the validity of any opinion different from you own by arguing that anyone who disagrees must be uninformed. If you're going to challenge other people's qualifications you should start by stating your own. When's the last time you were employed "cleaning toilets just to buy food"? Were you paid a legal, market based wage? How long have you worked in a minimum (or slightly over minimum) wage job? Have you worked in a sub-minimum wage job?
Old Sep 11, 14, 9:17 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Do you drop a deuce in the shrubs outside or something? I assume that the vast majority of people staying in a hotel will use the toilet at some point during their stay.
Haha. No, I do use the toilet. But there's certainly no heavy cleaning required. Perhaps it's my healthy diet, but there is no visible sign that the bowl has been used.

I had plenty of jobs when I was younger where cleaning the public restroom was one of my responsibilities. It wasn't pleasant, but I certainly didn't expect or receive any tips.

My perspective on tipping: it's obligatory when the wage is set upon the expectation of tips (restaurant servers). It's voluntary (for good service) otherwise.

I'm not putting that perspective out there to suggest I don't voluntarily tip. I do, but I don't feel obligated in cases where I receive mediocre service. At restaurants, I still tip decently (15-17%), even if service is poor.

Here's a fascinating point of view from a restaurant that banned tipping, which led to better service and more money for the staff.
Old Sep 15, 14, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
Looks like most Marriott hotels will be seeing the tip envelopes shortly, at least in the US, as Arne and Maria Shriver are starting a campaign for the maids.

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2014/0...tips-for-maids
Old Sep 15, 14, 6:43 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by JamesEaston View Post
There are some seriously cold-hearted posts in this thread. If someone has the job of literally cleaning your s**t, you can't find it in yourself to leave an amount that means nothing to you, but the world to them. My god.

I always leave one euro, or the local currency equivalent, with a small note in the local language saying thank you, on the pillow each day. (as ohmark put it, under the pillow is tooth fairy domain, and I don't want him/her to steal it!!!). If I don't know the local language, I ask the concierge to write it on small papers for the number of days I'll be there - then tip that person for their help.

The fact that some advocate for not leaving a few cents for the maid is disturbing.
i've never asked a made to wipe my booty before, and i typically flush the toilet after dropping some bombs, so why would they be literally cleaning my feces?
Old Sep 15, 14, 7:15 am

Why can't Marriott pay a real salary/hourly wage? If they were really interested in the Maids making more money. Also, Marriott caters to Business travellers. With this system there is no way to expense tips to your company. Average business traveller will then need to pay about 100 per month out of his/her pocket.

Couldn't they just add 1-5 dollars to each room rate and pay their people and leave me out of it? Marriott is going the way of the airlines/cruise lines. Pay for internet, Pay for snacks/coffee in lobby, Pay for airport "courtesy" shuttle, Pay for resort fees, pay for tips for maid, etc.

Another option would be to add a line at check in or check out where you could add a "tip" to the bill. I rarely have spare cash to the exact amount I want to tip. Very often I either have to leave "too much" or "less than I wanted too" because I am a huge hurry. There is a reason the bell man always has change on him. To make it easy to break a bill or give change.

My guess is Marriott will begin to track who tips and who doesn't soon.
Old Sep 15, 14, 7:22 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by yul lite View Post
Looks like most Marriott hotels will be seeing the tip envelopes shortly, at least in the US, as Arne and Maria Shriver are starting a campaign for the maids.

Very interesting. I'm curious whether this will be rolled out to all flags in the US and Canada, or whether this will be limited to the select service properties. To be honest (and this is coming from someone who always tips housekeeping), I would find the presence of these envelopes pretty gauche at a JW and maybe even at a FS property.
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
And the Washington Post article about the same topic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z4

There's a fair amount of online pushback to the concept, especially when they cited some of the wages that unionized workers in urban areas are being paid.
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
With this system there is no way to expense tips to your company.
Depends on the business and their expense report policy. I've worked for three large accounting firms and never had an issue with expensing a cash tip for a housekeeper.

Your employer may be different.
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by yul lite View Post

I don't think Arne and Maria have been working together on anything for the past three years.
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:57 am

I can't believe the Marriott corporate can get away with pulling such a sleazy trick.

The housekeeping staff should be paid proper wages for what they do. Asking them to depend part of their wages on tips is just wrong. I may tip $3 to $5 a night, but there are many who leave no tips.

Sometimes I feel like tipping pilots on small regional jets. Some of them work the maximum number of hours allowed under Federal regulations, but only make $28,000 per year. (that's a lot less than some Greyhound Bus drivers)
Old Sep 15, 14, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A tip is something you give when someone goes out of their way to do something...

A wage is what they get PAID to do their JOB.

We live in a HAND OUT society..
Old Sep 15, 14, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by plagwate View Post
I don't think Arne and Maria have been working together on anything for the past three years.
Old Sep 15, 14, 9:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Simply amazing, there is no end to corporate greed. If its this big a deal, bury it in a room rate. They have no problem adding $25 in resort fees which some may or may not use.
Old Sep 15, 14, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
Depends on the business and their expense report policy. I've worked for three large accounting firms and never had an issue with expensing a cash tip for a housekeeper.

Your employer may be different.
I can't even be reimbursed for valet parking tips....and my employer only covers $1 per bag for the bellperson which is ridiculously low.
Old Sep 15, 14, 11:44 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 15 at 10:45 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: