Tip envelopes in rooms

Old Sep 7, 14, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
Even though I've never seen an envelope, I kind of like the idea. I'm a tipper and many times I've left money on the dresser for the staff who cleans the rooms only to find it still there when I come back.

Bobette
I was advised awhile back to lay it under the pillow, but be sure that it is partially exposed. This is reportedly something of a universal indication to the housekeeper that it is a gratuity.
Old Sep 7, 14, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Discoverist; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SCEflyer View Post
I was advised awhile back to lay it under the pillow, but be sure that it is partially exposed. This is reportedly something of a universal indication to the housekeeper that it is a gratuity.
I simply put the dollars on top of the pillow; in order to make the bed, they need to pick up the money.

--woodstock
Old Sep 8, 14, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
Originally Posted by SCEflyer View Post
I was advised awhile back to lay it under the pillow, but be sure that it is partially exposed.
I thought the tooth fairy had exclusive rights there.
Old Sep 8, 14, 8:18 am

There are some seriously cold-hearted posts in this thread. If someone has the job of literally cleaning your s**t, you can't find it in yourself to leave an amount that means nothing to you, but the world to them. My god.

I always leave one euro, or the local currency equivalent, with a small note in the local language saying thank you, on the pillow each day. (as ohmark put it, under the pillow is tooth fairy domain, and I don't want him/her to steal it!!!). If I don't know the local language, I ask the concierge to write it on small papers for the number of days I'll be there - then tip that person for their help.

The fact that some advocate for not leaving a few cents for the maid is disturbing.
Old Sep 8, 14, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Just tip at the end of a stay. Leave the cash on the desk, in plain view. Tipping every day is a little strange, unless you tip waiters every time they come to the table instead of at the end of the meal. Or if you tip your taxi driver every mile instead of at the end of the trip.
Old Sep 8, 14, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Just tip at the end of a stay. Leave the cash on the desk, in plain view. Tipping every day is a little strange, unless you tip waiters every time they come to the table instead of at the end of the meal. Or if you tip your taxi driver every mile instead of at the end of the trip.
I think the reason some tip daily is that the maids change - might not be working on the day you check out or, while they did your room one day, might be working on another floor on the day you check out, so tipping daily means the appropriate person gets the tip. Normally a waiter or taxi is the same for the meal or journey.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 14, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
I usually tip $2-3 a day, $5 if we have more of a mess (which usually is just leftover food and drink containers that the tiny trash cans can't hold.) I do not want to see a tip envelope and would consider forgoing the tip if I saw it.
Just like I tend to not tip at quick dining establishments that have a tip jar unless someone does something out of the ordinary. For instance I would not leave a tip at a coffeehouse if they have a big honking tip jar at the register.

Something about the tip jar/envelope just rubs me wrong.
Old Sep 9, 14, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by kklems View Post
Something about the tip jar/envelope just rubs me wrong.
Ooops, I seem to have missed the point of the original post after reading some of the disturbing posts.

Agree completely with this comment, a tip envelope would be really out of place. Just the way I hate how W hotels put bottles of water and liquor around the room. It's like walking into a gift shop/mini market instead of a hotel room.
Old Sep 9, 14, 5:30 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
I am new to Marriott, and I am staying in a Courtyard this week.

When I got to my room, there was a tip envelope sitting on the desk in front of the lamp. It had the name of the housekeeper and my room number on the envelope.

Yesterday, I cleared the desk to put down some paperwork and when I got to my room at night, a new envelope was up there, again with my room number and the name of the cleaning lady.

I have never seen that before in any of the hotels I stay at. I don't want to get into a discussion around tips, but I think it's very tacky and would definitely not encourage me to leave a tip.

Also, why would my room number be on there... Is she keeping track of who tips and how much and for what purpose?

Fwiw: this is what the envelope looks like: http://www.americanhotel.com/Product...px?R=U72RATP-W

I dont know if this is a Marriott thing, or if this is something that housekeeper does?
I never see similar envelop like that. But I remember staying at one hotel and the housekeeper leave me his/her name so that I can call him if I have any other needs.

I remember on my stay at Towne Mississauga, I left tips and when I came back the housekeeper leave me a note thanking me for the tips (the previous day, she/he did not pick up the tips money and leave it untouch).

I thought tips should be very common in North America.
Old Sep 9, 14, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by JamesEaston View Post
Ooops, I seem to have missed the point of the original post after reading some of the disturbing posts.
Do you often find it disturbing when you encounter people who have opinions that are different than your own? I expect that this must make everyday life quite challenging. Don't take this the wrong way, but I suspect that the internet isn't the best place for someone with such delicate sensibilities.
Old Sep 10, 14, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Do you often find it disturbing when you encounter people who have opinions that are different than your own? I expect that this must make everyday life quite challenging. Don't take this the wrong way, but I suspect that the internet isn't the best place for someone with such delicate sensibilities.
That was hysterical. I love on this site when people write absurd things like that. A little presumptuous and "don't take this the wrong way" hypocritical, but still funny.

No, don't find it disturbing when I encounter people who have opinions different than mine. I find it disturbing when people have no compassion and use distorted "logic" to justify not helping people in need. Maybe some day you'll lose everything and have to start cleaning toilets just to buy food. Hopefully that will be your future since that might help you understand why some of the comments were disturbing.
Old Sep 10, 14, 11:54 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Based on the "cleaning your sh!%" and "scrubbing toilets" comments, I really wonder what some folks are doing to their hotel rooms...

I like to keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my room for any stay 3 nights or fewer. I don't need fresh towels every day, and I'm not terribly concerned about making the bed or having the trash taken out. I also don't usually have a ton of cash on hand, so I like to be judicious in my tipping.
Old Sep 10, 14, 12:32 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 2:27 am
Old Sep 10, 14, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Sousaphil View Post
Based on the "cleaning your sh!%" and "scrubbing toilets" comments, I really wonder what some folks are doing to their hotel rooms....
Do you drop a deuce in the shrubs outside or something? I assume that the vast majority of people staying in a hotel will use the toilet at some point during their stay.
Old Sep 10, 14, 4:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by angatol View Post
If we're talking about logic, wouldn't it be more logical if their employer helps these people in need rather than rely on the whims of customers? After all, the hotel can vary the rate by $300/night seemingly without showing much compassion to their employees. What about the cleaner who cleans the lobby, bar or restaurant bathrooms? Don't these poor people in need deserve anything?
Great point, maybe all employees need a percentage of the gate instead.

Tipping is a system completely out of whack like the IRS code that will never be fixed without blowing it up entirely and starting over.

In thinking of this, I recall how I was a paperboy for 50 customers from 11-17 years old bicycling in the cold/heat/rain/snow of the Northeast delivering consistently 8 days a week, for an average 25 cent tip. I made $20 a week. But my employer only provided $7.50 or 38% of that for all the labor, gas, insurance, danger, etc that we saved them. There was no calling in sick, vacations, paid time off, backup, excuses, money for equipment, etc, just a monumental personal commitment. What a scam, where were the child labor laws?

I tip the housekeeping because of the tradition, I guess, like everyone else and ignore those who are traditionally ignored.

I do regret not tipping everyday when I stayed at the Orlando World Center Tuesday-Saturday for a conference while the kids & wife went to Disney. Everyday, my daughter's little teddy bear and blanket was neatly tucked into her bed for when she got back. Stupid me waited until checkout on Saturday to give her $20 for the week it was grabbed by someone working the weekend!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: