Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:47 pm

Begging envelope at JW on Penn in DC this week.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:29 am

Nope saw them in 3 of the last 5 marriott stays
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Those women do backbreaking work for very low pay and many people don't tip them or forget. The envelopes don't offend me at all.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Philadelphia hotels have envelopes. No offense taken as staff works extremely hard and perhaps the envelopes will encourage guests to tip
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
My guess is that the properties were sent their initial batch for free, as mandated by MI and the "refills" cost and are optional. I always tip unless there is some glaring defect or service failure and resent the begging.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Those women do backbreaking work for very low pay and many people don't tip them or forget. The envelopes don't offend me at all.
They do do backbreaking work. Why don't the hotels compensate them fairly for that?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Both stays in SLC (University Area Marriott) this last week had envelopes.

I actually like the idea of the envelope. If you don't want to use it, then don't.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
They do do backbreaking work. Why don't the hotels compensate them fairly for that?
I don't mind tipping the housekeeping if they do good work (and they usually do, with some rare exceptions), but it would be easier from a business perspective if Marriott would simply put a line item on the daily room charge for housekeeping. Like many business travelers, I carry very little cash and account for everything on my business credit card. If Marriott is so cheap that they think their room rates are too low to pay their housekeeping staff a reasonable wage, then at least don't make it so darn inconvenient for me. Anyway, my point is that the "tip envelope" equates to an admission from Marriott that they pay their housekeeping such crappy wages that they need to beg the guests to pick up the slack.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Aug 16, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The point is that Marriott should pay their employees a living wage and not beg/guilt guests to do it for them.

"For full year 2015, Marriott expects North American and worldwide comparable systemwide constant dollar RevPAR to increase 5 to 7 percent."

"Arne M. Sorenson, president and chief executive officer of Marriott International, said, “Today, we post both record earnings and unit growth and conclude 2014 with the strongest worldwide development pipeline of rooms in our history. Our powerful portfolio of brands has never been better positioned or more in demand by our owners, franchisees and guests. "

http://news.marriott.com/2015/02/mar...4-results.html
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:06 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Why don't the hotels compensate them fairly for that?
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
If Marriott is so cheap that they think their room rates are too low to pay their housekeeping staff a reasonable wage,
Originally Posted by nightowlrn
The point is that Marriott should pay their employees a living wage
"It's Obama's fault."

Let's stay on topic.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Tipping is a very personal decision. My dad tips when he gets take out, I never do. I usually only tip if I've seen the server and they've gone above and beyond a normal level of service.

The reason I mention this is I don't like the idea of the envelopes, nor do I like them constantly put in front of me. When I stayed at a FS Marriott recently for a week, every day I would put the envelope in the drawer in the nightstand. Two days I declined service. The days that there was service the envelope was moved back.

For those that want to tip, great, I just don't think you need an envelope to help you.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
"It's Obama's fault."

Let's stay on topic.

And it seems the answer is that the envelopes have not gone away.

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:37 pm

I stayed in a Denver Marriott about two years ago, and I left a tip on the pillow. I actually came into the room when housekeeping was there, and the cleaning lady told me that they were not allowed to accept tips without the guest leaving a note letting them know that the money on the pillow is for them. I had never thought of this, but I was glad that she let me know the hotel's policy.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee
I stayed in a Denver Marriott about two years ago, and I left a tip on the pillow. I actually came into the room when housekeeping was there, and the cleaning lady told me that they were not allowed to accept tips without the guest leaving a note letting them know that the money on the pillow is for them. I had never thought of this, but I was glad that she let me know the hotel's policy.
Then 100% of my tips over the last 20 years must have ended up in the trash!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
I would also welcome the ability to add a small gratuity via credit card. I very rarely have denominations of cash on hand, only carrying a couple $20s for some unknown emergency.

Sometimes housekeeping does a fantastic job and I am motivated to tip. Other times they don't and I am not motivated to tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.