Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
If I ever need to travel to US, I will address the envelope to Bill Marriott, write down my opinions (if you really want to be a good employer, pay decent wages to everybody yourself instead of asking me to do it) on this matter, take the envelope down to reception desk and ask them to send it to Mr. Bill Marriott.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AS
I'm going to be very careful about my items in my room if I ever stay in a Marriott again. While on a trip to Las Vegas not to long ago, we did not tip during our 7 day stay, and housekeeping helped themselves to their own form of a tip by stealing an item from our room. Our valuables were locked in the safe, but they stole something else. Also, the room was not cleaned efficiently. Still, I will not leave a tip for housekeeping, for similar reasons stated above.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kyden
housekeeping helped themselves to their own form of a tip by stealing an item from our room.
How do you know it was housekeeping? And what did the property say when you reported the missing item?

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by kyden
I'm going to be very careful about my items in my room if I ever stay in a Marriott again. While on a trip to Las Vegas not to long ago, we did not tip during our 7 day stay, and housekeeping helped themselves to their own form of a tip by stealing an item from our room. Our valuables were locked in the safe, but they stole something else. Also, the room was not cleaned efficiently. Still, I will not leave a tip for housekeeping, for similar reasons stated above.
Tipping housekeeping staff sounds like extortion to me with this story. Or racketeering. Whatever it is called when you pay "protection" money.

Sorta like the mob, you better slip a little bit of protection money into that envelope every day, otherwise there are no guarantees your stuff will be alright.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Tipping housekeeping staff sounds like extortion to me with this story. Or racketeering. Whatever it is called when you pay "protection" money.

Sorta like the mob, you better slip a little bit of protection money into that envelope every day, otherwise there are no guarantees your stuff will be alright.
This is odd indeed. Mr. Marriott recommends DAILY tipping. I wonder if that is on the face of the envelope. That really, really crosses the lines IMO, now that's a daily chore if you intend to tip at all, unlike my weekly practice.

I'd recommend all of us stuffing a letter or statement inside the envelope citing all the reasons we've discussed here but you know that's going to tracked. I still want my upgrades when I need them!

Dollars to doughnuts, all funds from this "initiative" get pooled and distributed shortly. Perhaps they even designate a single collection individual to "pickup" every morning, just like the mob. Best leave those DND signs up.

Extortion indeed!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
This is odd indeed. Mr. Marriott recommends DAILY tipping.
The reason Mr. Marriott & others recommend daily tipping (if one is inclined to tip) is so that the daily housekeeper gets the tip. You wait to the end & the person who happens to be there on the last day gets the 4-5 day windfall, even if they weren't working the previous 4-5 days (example).

BTW - the media has definitely picked up on it. Just read articles in US, Canadian & UK outlets.

FWIW - I think some people's concerns that the housekeeping staff is suddenly going to en masse start treating those that don't tip badly by not cleaning rooms properly or stealing or spitting on toothbrush are a bit over the top.

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Starwood have a 10% service charge which eliminates any contemplation of tipping anyone there.
Only in locations and the type of property where the 10% service fee is customary. The vast majority of Starwood hotels have no such service fee.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Tip envelopes in rooms.

If we all start using DND signs to avoid tipping housekeeping, how many fewer housekeepers will Marriott need to employ? At some locations that may mean fully staffing Thursday and Sunday (prime check out days) with a skeleton crew the remainder of the week.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
If we all start using DND signs to avoid tipping housekeeping
You (generic you) don't need to put a DND sign to avoid tipping housekeeping. Tipping housekeeping is voluntary, just as it's always been, even if an envelope is provided.

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You (generic you) don't need to put a DND sign to avoid tipping housekeeping. Tipping housekeeping is voluntary, just as it's always been, even if an envelope is provided.

Cheers.
It's more of the perceived instinct though that if you put a "tip envelop" or a "tip line" on a receipt, it's in a sense required (though, I know it is recommended). You don't want to be that person that doesn't tip, do you?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FWIW - I think some people's concerns that the housekeeping staff is suddenly going to en masse start treating those that don't tip badly by not cleaning rooms properly or stealing or spitting on toothbrush are a bit over the top.
I agree that it is very unlikely that the housekeeping staff will retaliate over a guest not tipping.

That being said, I have an acquaintance who has worked (not in housekeeping) at a number of upper-upscale properties under various flags of one of the big four, and she definitely has some "toothbrush dipped in the toilet" stories. Although I believe those applied more to people who completely trashed their rooms.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:25 pm

FWIW -- I tip by striping the bed when checking out .
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA - million Miler
If I stay one night, I would be tipping the maid, who I never see, for cleaning the mess the PREVIOUS guest left - not the clean room that I usually leave.

Should we now tip the desk clerk who at least addresses you by name?
How about the house electrician who makes sure the A/C works.

I TIP generously when I receive personal service, not for a clean room at a Marriott, a chain that has not problem charging a premium rate for a premium experience.
Mr Marriott - PAY YOUR HELP!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have at times paid a much as $300.00 to stay at a nice hotel, that's a lot of money for one night and plus leave a tip. Granted the people who clean the room do not make a lot, maybe they should pay them more so this would not be an issue. There is a difference in tipping say at a restaurant in the hotel as that eating a meal is above and beyond the room price. Cleaning a room should be part of the cost structure for the hotel bill for the room. maybe tip as may happen now in extra ordinary cases say if the room is very dirty from your stay. I myself try and make sure the room is as clean as possible when I leave.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
It's more of the perceived instinct though that if you put a "tip envelop" or a "tip line" on a receipt, it's in a sense required (though, I know it is recommended). You don't want to be that person that doesn't tip, do you?
I have been that person that doesn't tip even when housekeeping leaves a note with name and smiley face. I have also been that person who tips even without a note. Sometimes I tip. Sometimes I don't. An envelope won't change when I do or don't.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.