Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I think it is obvious what the goal of Marriott is here, is to be able to classify housekeeping as tipped employees and pay them the 2 dollar tipped wage or whatever it is.

It is obvious when they mention things like, the vast majority of people don't tip housekeeping, so we need a movement to "educate" people that it is customary to tip housekeeping, when the percentage of guests who tip housekeeping are low enough to suggest it is not customary. Marriott is just trying to make it customary.

So lets say the movement catches on, most people start leaving 5 dollars a night or so, then Marriott is able to lower all housekeeping wages from whatever they are paid now, at least minimum, to the tipped wage servers get. Huge decrease in labor costs for them, and now guests have to feel obligated to tip for every night no matter what.

Housekeepers lose because they are not much better off than before after taking a wage cut, customers lose because it is yet another nickle and dime, and Marriott corporate makes out like bandits with much lower labor costs.

We as a society need to push back from any new tipping professions that pop up. I take public transit when I travel, and pack light and carry my own bags so I don't encounter valet's or bellhops, I will tip the airport shuttle driver if he/she is friendly and helps with my bag, I will tip servers and bartenders every time the standard 18-20% depending on how the rounding works out. I will tip cab drivers 10-15% of the fare. I also throw in an extra dollar to my barber that cuts my hair. Thats IT! No more.

I have never tipped housekeeping, and never will. I avoid places that guilt trip me into tipping. Almost 3 years ago a small local takeout burger joint started putting a tip line on the credit card recept, and you paid for your food before your food is made, so there is a huge pressure to tip when the cashier who is looking over your shoulder while you sign the recept will then be the one that makes your food. You feel obligated to throw in a few extra dollars out of fear of what can happen to your food if you were to just cross it out. I tipped 2 dollars that day for takeout where they just call out your order number and you pick it up yourself and bus your own table, but I have never been back in almost 3 years, and it was a place I would frequent, at least once every couple of weeks.

I know I am not a member of any hotel rewards programs, but I do prefer Marriott. Stayed only 2 nights with them this year, but had 8 nights last year, but from now on that number will always be 0. Plenty of Hyatts, Starwoods, and Hiltons to go around, unless they get in on this guilt trip as well. Guilt trip me into paying your workers and I will avoid your business.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by dayone
No, it's a tip envelope.
Actually, If you truly believe that you are not seeing the big picture. Many good intentions are redirected and become negative.

Assuming that Marriotts intentions are pure (which is questionable)

What keeps the independent franchisees from abusing it?

Nothing at the moment!

So it really is not just a tip envelope ! It is a call for standing up for what is right, just and correct.

Marriott wants you to believe it is just a tip envelope!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Does Marriot offer incentives for guests that decline housekeeping services like Starwood does?

Starwood offers 14$ worth of points or a $5 cash voucher each day you decline housekeeping, to save on water, laundry, less use of detergent, etc...Basically an incentive to save and conserve the environment.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some do

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...eping+starwood
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mastermc54
Quote:Originally Posted by sbrower
The tip route is way better for the workers, in theory. If you leave them $5, they are supposed to report that on their income tax. But even if they do, they probably don't pay all the other taxes. If you leave them $5 at checkout, that is subject to all the taxes. And Marriott incurs more costs for the processing, handling, reporting. Also, that requires that they track, in the "billing computer," which housekeeper worked on which room (just because it was in the housekeeping computer program doesn't mean it was in the guest billing program and certainly doesn't currently include a link from guest to payroll). And then they need to figure out how to meet the rules which require that they get money to terminated employees on the day they are terminated, or whether those who are terminated lose all tips from guests who check-out after the termination.

So your typical chain restaurants like Applebees or Olive Garden or TGI Fridays can figure out how to properly distribute tips in their computer system with pretty similar hurdles, but Marriott can't have their IT department incorporate tips into their computer system? It seems simple enough to incorporate and they can easily attach the name of housekeeper to rooms on a specific date...better accountability as to who serviced which room as well.
Even easier than you think. Software already exists for resorts and cruise ships who charge gratuities. Unlike restaurants their systems are already designed to address issues like employee termination prior to guest check out.

Without a receipt my client won't reimburse, and even then any tip other than restaurant server is often considered discretionary / personal and therefore not reimbursable. If major employers don't understand the "norm" of tipping housekeeping maybe the marketing is miss-directed.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by acvitale
Marriott wants you to believe it is just a tip envelope!
No, you want me to believe that...

Originally Posted by acvitale
It is a call for standing up for what is right, just and correct.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Segments
Even easier than you think. Software already exists for resorts and cruise ships who charge gratuities. Unlike restaurants their systems are already designed to address issues like employee termination prior to guest check out.

Without a receipt my client won't reimburse, and even then any tip other than restaurant server is often considered discretionary / personal and therefore not reimbursable. If major employers don't understand the "norm" of tipping housekeeping maybe the marketing is miss-directed.
Maybe the hotels will move toward the model on some ships. A "mandatory" tip charge, added to your room, of $12/day, which ivaris then distributed by management decision to various members of the staff.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sbrower
Maybe the hotels will move toward the model on some ships. A "mandatory" tip charge, added to your room, of $12/day, which ivaris then distributed by management decision to various members of the staff.
I hope not. I'll refuse to stay in whatever chain would start something like this first. However, if this is done, the charge should certainly be per person (of any age, and possibly including pets too) not per room.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I often (but not always) tip housekeeping, but I only do so on the last day of the stay (tip covers entire stay). In such a case, do I get poorer service after Day One since I am not identified as a "tipper"? If so, then I would certainly tip less at the end of the week or two because the service is less. A daily envelope would not help me give any more, in fact, probably less - because it is so tacky. The housekeeping staff will end up hurting themselves if the service becomes sub-par. Wouldn't it be wonderful if people would JUST DO THEIR JOB without asking for a tip? PS: I don't tip my physician or my children's teachers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Starwood have a 10% service charge which eliminates any contemplation of tipping anyone there.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:48 am

Tip envelopes in rooms.

If Marriott moves housekeeping to a tipped position I can move my stays too.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Possible but if employers already prohibit business travel stays at "resort fees" locations, I can't see them falling for this scheme. Watch Marriott become a non-preferred vendor.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
If Marriott moves housekeeping to a tipped position I can move my stays too.
This is really where I stand. I'm not saying I'll never stay with Marriott, but this will be a factor when making a choice between hotels. And when I do stay with Marriott, I intend to complain vociferously about it.

If everyone will simply take the forced tip envelope down to the front desk and make a big production about complaining then Marriott will find it cheaper and easier to simply pay its employees rather than demanding that the guests do it.

ALSO: I believe that the rudeness involved in demanding tips from the customers in order to pay the non-tipped help is grounds for leaving a negative review on Tripadvisor. If each one us leaves a negative review each time we are confronted with one of these envelope demands then the practice will end and Marriott will start paying its help a market wage.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Agree with a few, the envelope that is specifically designed to encourage tips is like the jar on the counter. It becomes a more noticeable and less optional, and that is the goal to encourage it more. Be interesting if housekeeping opens it then and pockets the money or need to give it to management to then know who got what. It's a waste of paper. Those who wish to tip can leave it on the desk or something. Want to protest, toss it in the trash!!

Also next time I stay in a property, would be good to leave it at the front desk and tell em I don't want it in my room. Save a tree!!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If all Marriott properties were owned by Marriott, then making a coordinated effort to complain about this could be successful. But, since most properties are franchised, it probably won't. Kettles don't understand anything about this, and they make up a sizable percentage of hotel stays. I'm not sure what they look at when choosing hotel A over hotel B. Price, free breakfast, pool, stuff like that. They don't think about points, status for nights stayed, quality and procedures from one location to another or one Marriott brand to another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.