Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buying MRPs with Chase Marriott VISA?

Old May 23, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

I have searched endlessly for the last hour all over the web and FT. I haven't found anything, and if the solution is obvious, please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

If I buy 50,000 MRP with my Chase Marriott VISA, will I get 5x points for that purchase?

Thanks.

ETA: also asked in the Chase card thread. Sorry, didn't see that thread until after I posted...
Old May 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by JerMah
I have searched endlessly for the last hour all over the web and FT. I haven't found anything, and if the solution is obvious, please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

If I buy 50,000 MRP with my Chase Marriott VISA, will I get 5x points for that purchase?

Thanks.

ETA: also asked in the Chase card thread. Sorry, didn't see that thread until after I posted...
I do not believe so because I don't believe it's actually Marriott you buy them from.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:11 am

I would be curious about this as well. Here is the link to buy them. Not sure if it would come through on your credit card as a marriott charge. Best case scenario I imagine if you bought 50k for $625 you would just get the extra $625x5 for using your marriott card.

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...EN&product=BUY
Old May 24, 2014, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I do not believe so because I don't believe it's actually Marriott you buy them from.
I'd say 'maybe'. Don't you buy MR points on the Marriott website? So it might code as Marriott purchase.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:47 am

They don't code as the 5X. I purchased 1000 points in January as a test. Here is how it was listed on my statement. I only received the 1X for normal purchases.

MARRIOTT BY POINTS POINTS.COM IL $12.50

Points.com is the merchant not Marriott.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bigdave10000
They don't code as the 5X. I purchased 1000 points in January as a test. Here is how it was listed on my statement. I only received the 1X for normal purchases.

MARRIOTT BY POINTS POINTS.COM IL $12.50

Points.com is the merchant not Marriott.
Got it. Thanks for the confirmtion. Good to know for others.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! /thread
Old May 26, 2014, 12:24 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
The following language is in the "Terms and Conditions" on the Marriott site:
"Purchasing Points.....
Purchasing Points with the Marriott Rewards Visa card will result in earning one Point per dollar spent on these transactions."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.