Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Marriott-family properties ever get rebranded as other Marriott brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Just curious. I can envision a run-down CY getting refurbished as a Fairfield or a SHS. Or perhaps a change between a Ren and a FS Marriott. I know rebrandings happen between chains, say from a Marriott to a Hilton, all the time.

I recall Marriott bought a bunch of Howard Johnsons in the 80s and rebranded many of them as Fairfields, as a way of launching the brand or at least giving it momentum. How were the SHS and Towneplace brands launched, anyway?

When this happens with individual properties, as opposed to creating or acquiring an entire brand, does it typically accompany a change in the property's ownership?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
The Quebec City CY got rebranded last year as a FS Marriott. I believe the owners had tried to acquire another FS hotel in the city (the old Loews Le Concorde, which I think refurbished would have been a great Ren), but when that fell thru, they decided to upgrade the CY.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
IIRC, most of the 'Fairfield Suites' converted over to SHS in the late 90s.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This was many years ago but the Marina Del Rey Marriott was converted into a Courtyard.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Most of the run down outdoor entry Fairfields that I see are either Choice Quality inns or Days inns.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by michelin
This was many years ago but the Marina Del Rey Marriott was converted into a Courtyard.
It's now a Doubletree.

Great location next to the Marina Marketplace. Last century, there was a Tower Records upstairs, which offered a great way to kill an hour browsing.

Grosvenor House upbranded to a JW after its restoration and The Shelbourne switched from Marriott to Renaissance after a renovation.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
The Depot in Minneapolis converted from a CY to a Renaissance a few years back...
The rooms definitely still felt like a CY.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Marriott st Petersburg Russia was converted to a courtyard sometime in the last two years.

Was going to book a hotel and I knew there was a Marriott, a renaissance and a courtyard. Now there were only two courtyards and the renaissance.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeBU
The Depot in Minneapolis converted from a CY to a Renaissance a few years back...
The rooms definitely still felt like a CY.
However, part of it is in a historic buidling, where they have some rather fancy suites. The property also seems to have F&B a bit above the level of a Courtyard and lots more function space.

When Marriott initiates a new brand, I can envision some existing properties changing over to the new brand, although this should be limited to hotels that really fit well with the new brand or are willing to renovate.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Happens from time to time, most recent example I can think of is a Courtyard in Ococee (suburb of Orlando) which was downgraded earlier this year and now is a Fairfield Inn.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think I've seem the rebranding within the family much more for Starwoods.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Courtyard Tokyo Ginza used to be Renaissance Tokyo Ginza.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Henry, Autograph Collection in Dearborn, MI used to be a Ritz-Carlton.

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa used to be a regular Marriott resort.

But returning to the OP's questions: Any rundown Marriott-branded hotel whose owner refuses to bring it up to Marriott standards should be kicked out of the Marriott system, not rebranded as a lower tier Marriott property.

The brands each have a meaning and a target market. All Marriott-branded properties should be well maintained. A Fairfield will typically be more basic than a Courtyard, but it should be just as clean and well-maintained. A Courtyard will typically lack the amenities and high-end location of a FS, but should be just as clean and well-maintained.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa used to be a regular Marriott resort.
In the case of a Marriott becoming a JW Marriott, isn't as much a rebranding as it is meeting the qualifications to become a JW Marriott.

The Vail Marriott Resort has had plans to do that in the works (or more appropriately on the drawing board in pencil) for years. I remember that they come up lacking in the Spa and restaurant departments. While they do have a Spa, it fails to meet the requirements for a JW. Actually it fails to meet the basic requirements to be called Marriott Resort and Spa, and as such their as Spa designation was removed about 4 years ago (+ or -). Also to be granted the JW moniker, they need to have a minimum of 2 full service restaurants, 1 of which is fine dining. Those are two of the basic service requirements for the JW designation, but their are others too.

At least that was my understanding. Socrates could probably provide us more info, and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
In the case of a Marriott becoming a JW Marriott, isn't as much a rebranding as it is meeting the qualifications to become a JW Marriott.

The Vail Marriott Resort has had plans to do that in the works (or more appropriately on the drawing board in pencil) for years. I remember that they come up lacking in the Spa and restaurant departments. While they do have a Spa, it fails to meet the requirements for a JW. Actually it fails to meet the basic requirements to be called Marriott Resort and Spa, and as such their as Spa designation was removed about 4 years ago (+ or -). Also to be granted the JW moniker, they need to have a minimum of 2 full service restaurants, 1 of which is fine dining. Those are two of the basic service requirements for the JW designation, but their are others too.

At least that was my understanding. Socrates could probably provide us more info, and correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually the standards for being a JW are slightly different than those of a MHR...additionally there are other standards to be considered a resort or spa (as you mentioned)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.