Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Two Brands - One Building - Points when "Upgraded"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive

I just spent the weekend in Chicago in the Springhill/Residence Inn property on Dearborn.

I had a reservation at Springhill but the front desk put me in a nice one bedroom RI room.

My bill came showing RI but my points haven't posted yet.

Should I get 10 points per dollar since I reserved Springhill or 5 points per dollar since my actual room was Residence Inn?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:32 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I don't have the answer to your question, but to be honest, it sounds like you were surreptitiously walked (without the corresponding compensation). These two may be in the same physical building, but they should be considered as two different properties.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Out of curiosity, how is breakfast presented at such a double property? Two different spreads?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Greytop
Should I get 10 points per dollar since I reserved Springhill or 5 points per dollar since my actual room was Residence Inn?
I would expect the 10 points per dollar since your reservation was at the Springhill Suites.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
They are on two separate halves of the same building. If my recollection serves me right, the check-in lobbies are not on the first floor, so you take an elevator up and then turn right for one brand, left for the other. I have stayed in both, and I think the RI is slightly nicer than the SHS.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dayone
Out of curiosity, how is breakfast presented at such a double property? Two different spreads?
Two different "cafeterias" for breakfast. The RI has an evening manager's reception. Plats staying at the SHS are given a coupon to attend.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I would expect the 10 points per dollar since your reservation was at the Springhill Suites.
ditto - however I see the potential for an issue with you receiving the correct number of points but am hopeful the hotel is already aware of the situation and has steps in place to ensure you do receive the correct number of points
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Two different "cafeterias" for breakfast. The RI has an evening manager's reception. Plats staying at the SHS are given a coupon to attend.
That's a nice above and beyond benefit.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Greytop
I had a reservation at Springhill but the front desk put me in a nice one bedroom RI room.

My bill came showing RI but my points haven't posted yet.
Did the front desk ask you if you wanted the RI instead of SHS?

Or did the front desk tell you your room would be at the RI, not the SHS?

If it's the former, it would be a voluntary change on your part, and it would not be unreasonable for the normal rules for RI (5 points per dollar) to apply.

If it's the latter, I agree you were "walked" by the SHS. You could invoke the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. Or you should at least be able to ask for the points that you would have earned if SHS properly honored your reservation.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Did the front desk ask you if you wanted the RI instead of SHS?

Or did the front desk tell you your room would be at the RI, not the SHS?

If it's the former, it would be a voluntary change on your part, and it would not be unreasonable for the normal rules for RI (5 points per dollar) to apply.

If it's the latter, I agree you were "walked" by the SHS. You could invoke the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. Or you should at least be able to ask for the points that you would have earned if SHS properly honored your reservation.
Agree with the above.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:14 am

Two different "cafeterias" for breakfast. The RI has an evening manager's reception.
Also, two separate elevator banks for the guest floors. Everyone takes a separate elevator from street level up to the lobby, as if it were a miniature (formerly known as) Sears Tower.

The guest floors are separated by a swinging door with the rooms numbered as if it were a single property. The top floor has the pool/exercise room and is shared.

Plats staying at the SHS are given a coupon to attend.
Haven't gotten one of these on two separate stays in the SHS part. I just poached it. If that counts as poaching.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
Haven't gotten one of these on two separate stays in the SHS part. I just poached it. If that counts as poaching.
Maybe something has changed. I've gotten the slip or paper on both visits.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a nice above and beyond benefit.
Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
Maybe something has changed. I've gotten the slip or paper on both visits.
I have stayed at this SHS a lot over the past couple of years. I have never received an invitation to a Manager's Reception. In fact, checked in this very week and did not this time either...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
Update

My stay posted on Marriott.com as a Residence Inn stay at 5 points per dollar.

I intend to call and ask for more points but haven't had a chance.

The front desk merely told me that he was upgrading me to a larger room. I didn't know it was at the Residence Inn until I got to the floor and looked for the room nunber. I had to go through a swinging door where the decor changed from Springhill to RI.

I don't have any objection to a RI room but do object to the reduced points.

Hopefully Marriott wil make good.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have stayed at this SHS a lot over the past couple of years. I have never received an invitation to a Manager's Reception. In fact, checked in this very week and did not this time either...
Wow. I'm feeling pretty special now. I've always been given a piece of construction paper with the time of the manager's reception and been told to bring that paper with me. I've never actually gone to the reception, but I've been asked. I'm feeling honored to have made the cut for an RI manager's reception. Is something wrong with me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.