Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence inn new change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Well the problem that the OP appears to have encountered at this hotel so far seems limited to this NYC hotel where expenses are obviously higher. Hopefully this will be limited to this property or at the very most major city urban properties.

I do note that the Marriott.com website for this hotel specifically only mentions the free breakfast and no mention is made of the evening meal or its days. Therefore, in the future, I will check the website more closely when staying at these properties -- usually stay at RIs on weekends when the evening meal is not in effect, anyway -- if planning to sojourn at a RI during the week to see if the complimentary evening meal is a thing of the past at that specific property.

I will note, however, that some properties seem to go out of their way to be more than generous -- case in point is the RI Tysons Corner Mall -- they listed a Dinner Plate service if you missed the evening meal. I called them and they said they would hold a plate of food and beer for me to pick up when I returned to the hotel -- I thought that quite generous although I ultimately did not stay at the hotel to test that concept, it was much appreciated. PS -- Although its website does not specifically state it -- the Tysons Corner Mall property also has a complimentary shuttle to the metro station during peak hours during the week, as well as free parking -- yet other bonuses.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeupgrade

Good point - CY so-called "Bistro" has been an absolute disaster for CY.

Has it though? I know FTers don't like it, but unless you've got access to Marriott's #s for the Bistros it's hard to call it a 'disaster'.

Cheers.

It's been a disaster for me. I was pretty much doing 80% of my 140 nights a year at CYs, not I check to see if the location has converted to Bistro yet and if so I go elsewhere. Most of the time the elsewhere is another Marriott in the same price range. Many times I'm getting free breakfast now in the lounge or because I 'downgraded' to a RI.

My specific gripe is the Bistro is very slow, expensive if you want just something light, and the quality is lacking.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Sorry to resuscitate

So, not been a RI guy for years. Departing MR for SPG for the last 10 years. Now as part of the stay at 29 brands promo, I had a stay scheduled for 11/27-30 at the RI in National Harbor, MD. I noticed there was mention of breakfast, but not the evening social. I called and was told that Marriott corporate told them it was optional because of the properties being adjacent to so many restaurants.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
What? That sounds like an excuse the hotel is making up to save money. The presence of local restaurants which you have to pay for should not alleviate the hotel of its responsibility to provide an often free social hour.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
What? That sounds like an excuse the hotel is making up to save money. The presence of local restaurants which you have to pay for should not alleviate the hotel of its responsibility to provide an often free social hour.
I agree, hence, I decided to switch to the Westin and use a SUG. If I am only going to get a free breakfast, its not going to only be at 5 pts/$
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by etsmyers
So, not been a RI guy for years. Departing MR for SPG for the last 10 years. Now as part of the stay at 29 brands promo, I had a stay scheduled for 11/27-30 at the RI in National Harbor, MD. I noticed there was mention of breakfast, but not the evening social. I called and was told that Marriott corporate told them it was optional because of the properties being adjacent to so many restaurants.
This is also the story at two of the RI's in Chicago. Appears to be a disturbing trend.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A while ago I had the lovely experience of a RI arranging for food trucks as their *special* (as if this were a good thing) Wednesday evening social. The deal was that you paid for the food you ordered, although they encouraged you to do it as a room charge (of course for no points), with an assistant manager standing there with a clipboard to facilitate the room charges. One wonders whether the hotel got a kickback from the food truck for these purchases.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A while ago I had the lovely experience of a RI arranging for food trucks as their *special* (as if this were a good thing) Wednesday evening social.
Food trucks are a Residence Inn brand standard:

Hotel with Evening Social | Residence Inn

"FOOD TRUCK alternating wednesdays
Explore the local food scene right outside our doors.
*food truck food available for purchase by guests"
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A while ago I had the lovely experience of a RI arranging for food trucks as their *special* (as if this were a good thing) Wednesday evening social. The deal was that you paid for the food you ordered, although they encouraged you to do it as a room charge (of course for no points), with an assistant manager standing there with a clipboard to facilitate the room charges. One wonders whether the hotel got a kickback from the food truck for these purchases.
Originally Posted by Horace
Food trucks are a Residence Inn brand standard:

Hotel with Evening Social Residence Inn

"FOOD TRUCK alternating wednesdays
Explore the local food scene right outside our doors.
*food truck food available for purchase by guests"
Agree. I know RI GMs who hate the food truck because they have to pay for it to show up at all & because the food truck charges for food, all the folk who are used to eating for free on MAR dime don't want to pay anything so the property has to pay the minimum spend if the guests don't ante up. Zero kickback involved. It's a RI brand thing that MAR imposes.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.