Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

slightly annoyed at Marriott Atlanta

Old Mar 29, 14, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond

I was on a business trip this past Tuesday - (check out on) Friday and checked into as such. Decided to visit with a friend downtown Thursday evening. I was in my room, until the afternoon which had already been made up in the morning. I had even showered, sat on the bed, etc. I took my stuff (a small bag) in case I decided to stay with the friend Thurs night. I ended up staying at the friends and I flew out early on Friday. I called Marriott around 10 a.m. and asked them to check me out. First, they had no record of me, then they found me, but said I was checked out on Thursday. ...????

I said I never checked out and was to check out Friday morning. They asked, well then, when was I in the room last. I said Thurs afternoon but my reservation was thru Friday. I was a little perturbed b/c now I'm sure my work will wonder why I have no hotel receipt for Thurs night. I guess I should have put the do not disturb sign on my door. They were not receptive to checking me out on Friday.

No one could explain, but they assume there was an evening turndown and saw all my things were gone. Does that mean they went into the closet, et. I normally keep a very neat room. And what if I wanted to return inn the morning for a shower. I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole incident annoyed me.

I know people cannot book, pay and not stay in a room, when doing a mattress run., but this case is very different in my opinion. I am however, pissed about not getting my nights worth of points too.
Old Mar 29, 14, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
So I guess what you are saying is that because of an issue with the hotel, they comped the last night. How nice of them! Surely your employer will be impressed that you allowed that, rather than be gifted points for the screw-up. After all, you passed the comped night's benefit onto your employer!

FWIW, putting the points issue aside, it's amazing that hotel staff doesn't understand the importance of being charged for a night. We pass some expenses on to customers. We cannot pass along a night at a hotel that wasn't billed, but if we don't pass on a night at a hotel, the customer expects the same the next time.
Old Mar 29, 14, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond
I don't think you are following my issue. They didn't comp me anything. They checked me out without a charge. I asked for the charge as that was expected. I wish they would HAVE charged me, then I wouldn't have said anything. I did not want to be checked out Thursday night, I wanted to be checked out Friday morning. I only took my backpack, which I only had, with me "in case" I stayed over at my friends. But had I decided not to stay out and returned to the hotel, I wouldn't have had a room.

I sometimes book hotels for Europe the night before so I can check in when I arrive at 5 or 6 am the following day. What the difference, if I didn't check out, they should have just charged me and left my room available. How dare they come in during the evening and decide I'm not returning when my reservation was thru Friday.
Old Mar 29, 14, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A solution looking for a problem.

Perhaps OP could explain why he wants to be charged for the night he didn't spend.
Old Mar 29, 14, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The hotel saved the OP (or his company) one night's charge at a full scale Marriott, and he is annoyed?

I only wish that would happen to me.

Newman
Old Mar 29, 14, 6:08 pm

It's fairly common for hotel guests to depart early without informing the Front Desk. The Housekeeping Department will alert the Front Desk if a room "stay-over" room is vacant. Unless the hotel has an early departure fee in place, the room will get checked out.

Why does this happen? When I was a Revenue Manager, I handled all the no-shows and billing issues. If we didn't automatically check out vacant rooms, we would get hit with billing complaints and charge-backs. Regardless of the dates shown on the original reservation, if a guest can prove she or he was not in the city, we would lose the charge-back.

The only exception is when an early departure fee is in place. When that happened, we would have the guest sign a piece of paper acknowledging the fee.
Old Mar 29, 14, 7:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Perhaps OP could explain why he wants to be charged for the night he didn't spend.
Indeed. A one in a million "problem". If you are concerned with the loss of a few points in lieu of saving you or your company a couple hundred bucks, something else is not right...
Old Mar 29, 14, 10:54 pm

I've got to agree with most of the posts. I'd be happy if I was not charged (or my company) for the last night. Interesting how upset he is about it. Now, in the case that you did return I'm sure that Marriott would have to find you a room (it only makes sense). But in reality, it worked out for you and the company. Will the company really ask you where the charge is for the last night and be upset when you say the company didn't charge you?
Old Mar 29, 14, 11:29 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
I've known instances in the past where the hotel can run an audit and bill the OP few months down the line for Thursday night.

Regarding not being charged and saving the client and company money and this being a favor the OP, I disagree. I believe in not applying one's situations to others without being fully aware of the accounting rules and travel expense procedures...I would rather keep such opinions to myself and not apply them to the OP.
Old Mar 30, 14, 12:44 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post
I don't think you are following my issue. They didn't comp me anything. They checked me out without a charge. I asked for the charge as that was expected. I wish they would HAVE charged me, then I wouldn't have said anything. I did not want to be checked out Thursday night, I wanted to be checked out Friday morning. I only took my backpack, which I only had, with me "in case" I stayed over at my friends. But had I decided not to stay out and returned to the hotel, I wouldn't have had a room.
Umm, I followed your issue exactly. You had a potential booty call, probably an Internet hookup, on Thursday night that turned into an overnight romp and you don't want your employer to know. I was tongue in cheek offering you an explanation to for you to give your employer.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

It's explained in his original post. He doesn't want his employer to know he spent the night somewhere other than in the hotel. Many employers frown on mixing this type of pleasure with a business trip. Perhaps he is also worried that the employer may ask questions that could get back to a spouse or partner who wouldn't be happy about the OP spending the night at a "friend's" house.

...I was a little perturbed b/c now I'm sure my work will wonder why I have no hotel receipt for Thurs night...

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 30, 14 at 12:51 am
Old Mar 30, 14, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I said I never checked out and was to check out Friday morning. They asked, well then, when was I in the room last. I said Thurs afternoon but my reservation was thru Friday. I was a little perturbed b/c now I'm sure my work will wonder why I have no hotel receipt for Thurs night. I guess I should have put the do not disturb sign on my door. They were not receptive to checking me out on Friday.

No one could explain, but they assume there was an evening turndown and saw all my things were gone. Does that mean they went into the closet, et. I normally keep a very neat room. And what if I wanted to return inn the morning for a shower. I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole incident annoyed me.
I've been in a similar situation. I told the front desk I wasn't sure about if I would be returning and I would call in the morning. Worked out fine, I called at 9am saying I didn't return and to please check me out.

Lesson learned.
Old Mar 30, 14, 8:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Umm, I followed your issue exactly. You had a potential booty call, probably an Internet hookup, on Thursday night that turned into an overnight romp and you don't want your employer to know. I was tongue in cheek offering you an explanation to for you to give your employer.
I am glad I was not the only one thinking the same thing here.
Old Mar 30, 14, 9:23 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by iztok View Post
I am glad I was not the only one thinking the same thing here.
Great deducing CJKATL! I once worked for a company that would allow you to expense $50 per night if you stayed with a friend or family during a business trip. I did it once, innocently...
Old Mar 30, 14, 9:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Great deducing CJKATL! I once worked for a company that would allow you to expense $50 per night if you stayed with a friend or family during a business trip. I did it once, innocently...
I was once in Alabama and my work dragged for another day after I have already checked out and hotels in the area were sold out. I had family friends in the area, bought a couple of bottles of wine, a dozen of roses for friend's wife, and expense it w/o questions asked. Then again I did provide explanation and saved screenshot showing any decent hotel within 20 mile radius was gone.
Old Mar 30, 14, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
My company did.

Originally Posted by travisair View Post
I've got to agree with most of the posts. I'd be happy if I was not charged (or my company) for the last night. Interesting how upset he is about it. Now, in the case that you did return I'm sure that Marriott would have to find you a room (it only makes sense). But in reality, it worked out for you and the company. Will the company really ask you where the charge is for the last night and be upset when you say the company didn't charge you?
Or rather the accounting department.

I was on a road trip with other staff members and shared a room. When I submitted my expense report it lacked any hotel charges. When asked, I responded "If you spend enough time in hotel bars you don't need your own room." Never got questioned about expense reports again.

Unless the property rented the room to another guest that night, a good chance the room key would have worked and still not be charged. So this could have gone another direction very quickly. If the OP is concerned the truth would hurt them the only other option is to lie. Make up a story of service issues and accepted a comp'ed night. Brownie points with the employer.

Yes, it's another night or more points needed to make status or earn a reward night, but chose the better fight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: