Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If I make a points reservation can I sub in certs yet to be earned later on?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If I make a points reservation can I sub in certs yet to be earned later on?
Yes. I've done this.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Yes. I've done this.
Thanks, because of my largish stash of points I can make a bunch of reservations, a good few will be cancelled, but it cusions the blow somewhat for a few months.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
No. You can never convert a paid reservation to points. Scenario 2 does not involve making a paid reservation. It involves making a points reservation without enough points.
I see. Sounds like this is an option we have any time with Marriott, not just during times of deval (though it's most useful now). Is that right?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Have to give HHonors a small slack here - while the aspirational properties have seen the horrible devaluation, the mundane, but very much needed, airport hotels do not see much of the devaluation effect.
Hilton seems to have dynamic pricing as well, the Hilton Los Cabos resort is available for 27K points many nights in the low season. Pretty much a steal considering how easily HH points can be earned. And I get breakfast!

Last edited by escapefromphl; Mar 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
And just for comparison sake -

Marriott's most recent announcement:

73% of the properties remain unchanged
27% of the hotels are changing

22% of those changing are decreasing
78% of those changing are increasing

SPG's most recent announcement:

80% of properties remain unchanged
20% of properties are changing

44% of those are increasing
56% of those are decreasing

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-4-2014-a.html

Unless my math is bad or I'm misunderstanding one of the announcements.

Marriott is a great hotel chain. I like Marriott and have been a Gold/Plat member for over a decade - like many here. But two years in a row of devaluing (more than typical, understandable, inflationary adjustments) their rewards program sucks.

My loyalty doesn't buy my silence.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
I see. Sounds like this is an option we have any time with Marriott, not just during times of deval (though it's most useful now). Is that right?
Yes, you could have any number of points reservations out in the future without having enough points.

That's one of my favorite things about the program.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:17 pm

Yes, you could have any number of points reservations out in the future without having enough points.

That's one of my favorite things about the program.
Very handy indeed! I wonder if any other hotel chain does this. I'm not aware of any, but then I never thought it was even possible until now.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
How far out can you go? Just the supposed 51 weeks mentioned?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:25 pm

One property that went down is JW Baku. It is now cat 2. It looks grand. Plugging in a random date shows $280/night retail. I might just have to find myself a ticket to Azerbaijan! (and maybe try the astonishing Fairmont property while I'm at it)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Hilton seems to have dynamic pricing as well, the Hilton Los Cabos resort is available for 27K points many nights in the low season. Pretty much a steal considering how easily HH points can be earned. And I get breakfast!
Thanks for the mentioning of the Los Cabos property.

Also worth mentioning is, sometimes the Premium rooms are cheaper than the Standard rooms.

Conrad Bali last December had Premium Rooms between 43 to 47K when the Standard room was 60K per the chart!

The DT Kuala Lumpur at 10K is a steal as the location while a bit far from the shopping center (one LRT stop), it is within walking distance to Twin Tower (and from where there is a fully covered, ACed walkway to the Pavilion shopping mall). Club lounge has very decent evening offerings and the breakfast can be taken in the restaurant downstairs. We were even upgraded to Exec suites last Dec with the 5th night free. Excellent value.

Another DT at 10K is the DT Peking.

Not to mention that it is a whole lot easier to earn HHonors points than MR points.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
I just spent a week at the Los Cabos Hilton and highly recommend the property. The included continental breakfast at a resort was appreciated, if a little boring. Every day the breakfast was identical, and when Hilton means continental, it includes the bagel but not the cream cheese.

However, six weeks earlier I was at the Renaissance Phuket paid for with 5 cat 5 certs (booked before last year's devaluation). It was a wonderful property. Reasonably priced restaurants, plus 20% discount on all food and beverage. And a full breakfast was included. It was the best breakfast I have had at any hotel. The options were endless, and they changed it up every day.

There is no way I will be able to top the Renaissance Phuket using certificates.

Last edited by yul lite; Mar 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the mentioning of the Los Cabos property.
HEY! Marriott has a great FFI smack in the middle of Cabo. You can see the sea if you stand on your tippy toes and lean to the left. Its actually a nice place for arrival day before heading to a resort. We've done it twice.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Well, it isn't hard to figure out. I could probably spent 5 minutes searching the Google and figure out occupancy and revpar on every brand but even more simply, check the stock price on HOT (Starwood). Over the last year it's up about 25% - that doesn't happen if you have empty rooms.
^
I did look up revpar per your suggestion. Not an investor and don't know exactly what it means but seems pretty comparable and one has significantly more rooms than the other:

Starwood

Revenue per available room, an industry gauge of occupancies and rates, rose 5.8 percent in North America and 4.7 percent worldwide when adjusted for currency fluctuations, Starwood said.

Marriott (in Q3 Marriott touted record 76% occupancy rate)

North American comparable company-operated REVPAR rose 5.1 percent in the fourth quarter and 5.4 percent for full year 2013;

On a constant dollar basis, worldwide comparable systemwide REVPAR rose 4.3 percent in the fourth quarter and 4.6 percent for full year 2013

As an FYI I am not a Marriott fanboy. I almost never complain because the company I work for pays for the rooms and allows me to keep the points. Even allow me to use my own CC which is a great perk. They have decided to partner with Marriott so that is where I stay. Hopefully others who are up in arms are actually paying for the rooms with their money and not someone else.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Glad to see the Marriott Wailea Resort did not change. It is already 40,000 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.