Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Let's face it - Marriott is doing this because they can. And no one is saying they can't. But when the good times are rolling and rooms are full, they better realize that eventually those times come to an end. And when that happens, I'll be showing my loyalty to the chains that didn't bend me over a barrel when given the opportunity.

Starwood's hotels are full. So are Hyatt's and IHG's and guess what, they've had reasonable increases in redemption over the last 3-4 years.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

All the other chains you mentioned have had recent devaluations as well (Starwood changing Cash and Points), Hyatt adding level 7 and changing rates for 5 and 6, and IHG dramatically changing their system with categories as opposed to property types ...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
#MarriottPesos
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Had 4 wisdom teeth pulled this AM so I treated myself to a buying 1/2 gallon of ice cream for the first time in many years while waiting for the scripts to fill - to ease the pain.

Just noticed a few minutes ago its really 1.5 quarts and so are a few other different brands in the freezer my kids have bought. I'm sure the price didn't drop 25% when they made the switch.

I guess Corporate America thinks and acts alike, even when there is "competition".

Seems like a fitting comparison and coincidence for today!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joetro
All the other chains you mentioned have had recent devaluations as well (Starwood changing Cash and Points), Hyatt adding level 7 and changing rates for 5 and 6, and IHG dramatically changing their system with categories as opposed to property types ...
Last year SPG had a larger devaluation and didn't have a large a one this year.

IHG has possibly been about as bad as Hilton's was last year. I've seen redemption costs go from 15K for a room/night to 25K and now at 35K for a night. That is more than a 150% increase is cost in just a couple of years.

And of course Hilton's historic devaluation last year. So if someone is going to drop a program due to their devaluating their point values, then you may find you won't have any program to go with as they all do this.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:23 pm

I'd say Hyatt is holding up pretty well, especially with Chase UR as a transfer partner. Only rub is that most people here probably get at least 17 or 17.5 points per dollar at a Marriott (credit card + at least silver status), which is way more than SPG or Hyatt. I still think you do pretty well earning a lot of Marriott points at hotels.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Chase needs to seriously think about upping their rewards point transfer scheme with Marriott. Everyday spend should be $2 ppd and UR should transfer 2:1. The fact that you would have to spend $45,000 on a Chase card to get a free night in Times Square versus $12,000 with SPG Amex is pretty telling.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
The oh-it's-based-on-certificates-and-demand premise seems to be totally debunked considering that many of the hotels that went up last year are going up again this year. If, last year, they went up, which means people weren't redeeming as often, they should have stayed the same or declined, right?
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the categories go up if people redeem more often, not less. At first glance a lot of the properties moving up are in popular tourist spots. These are places where people are going to go no matter what, so in a lot of cases I'm guessing the redemptions probably won't change that much (because let's face it, a majority of the people making these redemptions probably aren't reading FT so likely don't even realize how much the point costs have gone up, and if they want to go to Niagara Falls, they're going to use as many points as it costs).

So I have to agree with the comments about the "70-whatever percent are unaffected and 60-whatever percent are categories 1-4" when most of those are Fairfield Inns along the interstate in the middle of nowhere (exaggeration, but you get the idea).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:54 pm

Only rub is that most people here probably get at least 17 or 17.5 points per dollar at a Marriott (credit card + at least silver status), which is way more than SPG or Hyatt. I still think you do pretty well earning a lot of Marriott points at hotels.
By that standard, you should be going to Hiltons because the Citi Reserve CC will earn you 27.5 points per dollar at their hotel, whereas you only get 17.5 with Marriott.

Of course, it doesn't work that way. Someone with a Hyatt card as a comparison (nice because both Hyatt and Marriott are Chase) earns 8.75 points per dollar at the hotel, exactly half of Marriott, but they receive a top tier room slightly sooner ($3429 in spend vs. $4000), most hotels in desirable locations are 12,000-15,000 points vs. now 30,000+, and non-hotel everyday spending on the card earns equivalent free nights about 2-2.5x as quickly, plus a yearly free night that is better than Marriott's after this devaluation.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:14 pm

Ugh right when I get a marriott card of course. I hope my points credit before April 7 so I can book my sydney stays
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:27 pm

You don't need to have the points ahead of time, you can make filler bookings and then call in using the points at the old rate

Please note:
All redemption reservations booked on or before April 7, 2014 will be honored at the current point price, even if the stay occurs after April 8. 2014. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to April 8, 2014, call Guest Services prior to your stay to request the lower priced certificate.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The question has always been, how bad? Were we going to be dealing with a Hilton bad devalution or just a normal yearly one?
Maybe it's good for Marriott that people like me won't stay for Megabonus certificates, but for me this is Hilton bad. Under government per diem caps, it takes me 20-30 nights to achieve enough points for one free night. I switch hotel choices due to promos - and now the Marriott promos got a good bit worse.
Looking at two cities I want to visit, New Orleans is losing all the Category 5s in the tourist area. Most of the NYC category 5s will be gone.

I quickly put together numbers for the key levels, 4, 5, and 6, using Loyalty Traveler for current levels (http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytrave....BpaTgvJb.dpbs) and Loyalty Lobby for increase counts (http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/03/18/m...-21-moving-up/)

There are 747 current Category 4 hotels. 123 are moving up, 17%.
There are 523 current Category 5 hotels. 206 are moving up, 39%.
And a majority, 222/342, of the current Category 6 hotels are moving up.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Category 6 did take a big hit.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Let's face it - Marriott is doing this because they can. And no one is saying they can't. But when the good times are rolling and rooms are full, they better realize that eventually those times come to an end. And when that happens, I'll be showing my loyalty to the chains that didn't bend me over a barrel when given the opportunity.

Starwood's hotels are full. So are Hyatt's and IHG's and guess what, they've had reasonable increases in redemption over the last 3-4 years.
Just curious how you know Hyatt and SPG properties are full?

Also there never seems to be a Hyatt or decent SPG property in the places I travel to the most.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Very disappointing, but not the end of the world. Though many of the properties I frequent are moving up, I regularly get good rates at them. I've recently been staying at The Glenn Hotel AC next to CNN & the Philips Center in ATL. It's moving from 6 to 7, but I have never paid more than $135 a night during the week.

Where I like to use my points is to counter high rates. Just cashed in my Cat 1-5 MegaBonus certs for two $329 nights at the Ren Arlington Capital View.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.