Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Goodbye Marriott!

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Anyone else considering canceling the CC based on these changes?
I got the Marriott CC almost a year ago. I had a nice stay at an AC property in Madrid, but other than that Marriott has been a real disappointment. There just aren't any properties in the cities that I visit! I'm looking at a stay in July in the Anchorage Downtown Marriott. It's going from cat 6 to cat 7. I'm booking an award stay there now, and then it's "Goodbye Chase Marriott CC" and "Goodbye Marriott"!

BTW, I'm keeping my Chase IHG hotel card. IHG has the hotels where I go, and the credit card has no silly "cat 5 and under" restriction on the annual free night cert. Much better value with the Chase IHG VISA Reserve CC.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by yul lite
I sure hope that the certificates also move up from Cat 1-4/5 to Cat 1-6.

All my go to Cat 5 properties are gone.

Every one.

Ditto. All of the hotels I've used my annual cat 1-5 cert at for the past FIVE YEARS are at cat 6-7 now. And the handful of places I was thinking of spending the next cert at just went to cat 6, too.

My MR Visa card is coming up for renewal soon. For years I've considered the $85 fee a small bargain for the cat 1-5 cert but now I see it as a wash, at best. I may well cancel it.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Marriott, you're dead to me.

If you're lucky enough to frequent the properties that went down a category, good for you. For me, this devaluation is a deal breaker.

They'll lose a lot more customers than they will gain. What were they thinking?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Ditto. All of the hotels I've used my annual cat 1-5 cert at for the past FIVE YEARS are at cat 6-7 now. And the handful of places I was thinking of spending the next cert at just went to cat 6, too.

My MR Visa card is coming up for renewal soon. For years I've considered the $85 fee a small bargain for the cat 1-5 cert but now I see it as a wash, at best. I may well cancel it.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well. And with UA tossing me MR Gold status the Visa card is disposable.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
Might need some perspective here.
Actually, no. Been a member for a very long time and I have a long memory. CJ makes some good points, but Marriott isn't any old business. It is one that you trust when you are away from hearth and home. There are not many more intimate connections than one that undertakes to make you welcome in a new environment and the rewards program is partly an extension of that in my opinion.

In addition, it should be clear that other programs don't stick it to their members or see them as disposable as does Marriott. OK, except, perhaps for HHonors!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Actually, no. Been a member for a very long time and I have a long memory. CJ makes some good points, but Marriott isn't any old business. It is one that you trust when you are away from hearth and home. There are not many more intimate connections than one that undertakes to make you welcome in a new environment and the rewards program is partly an extension of that in my opinion.

In addition, it should be clear that other programs don't stick it to their members or see them as disposable as does Marriott. OK, except, perhaps for HHonors!
Not much of a Marriott enthusiaist,though i agree with the devaluation but i do find some nice deals coming post the devaluation in China,India,Egypt and some other asian cities.
Courtyard PUXI in shanghai at 30k points for 5 nights is a nice deal.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Looks like a big devaluation to me. Tons of properties going up in category, without any renovations, changes, or improvements to the property itself. Cat 5 certificates are now useless unless they are raised to a max of Category 6 or allow us the option to use points to augment the certificates to get a higher category room.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:55 am

The hits just keep coming. With the mass increase of Cat5s to Cat6. Why not just bump all Cat6-9 up one Cat as well? Seriously MR, we know you want a Cat10 for that round 50k redemption.

I'm also considering dumping the CC if they don't up the free night to Cat6 (which you know they won't).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
After canceling the dummy reservation, do the points get taken a week after reservation? Or do they only get used when the vert's are being ordered/applied to reservation?
After you cancel the dummy reservation, those points are immediately refunded. I normally will call a few weeks or months in advance to attach the points to the real reservation.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Here is a link to my Loyalty Traveler post with a table of the 208 hotels in category 5 moving up to category 6. You may want to book some free night certificates before the April 8 change.

The list is organized by State and City and Country for a more user-friendly list than the Marriott pdf shows.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by satori
Here is a link to my Loyalty Traveler post with a table of the 208 hotels in category 5 moving up to category 6. You may want to book some free night certificates before the April 8 change.

The list is organized by State and City and Country for a more user-friendly list than the Marriott pdf shows.
Thanks satori. It's a shame MR couldn't/wouldn't release a list like this.

Because the credit card free night cert isn't worth squat in any resort / vacation location, we've been using mine at the local Marriott - in Redmond, WA. It was a cat 4 two years ago. Then it went to cat 5 last year. Now, cat 6. It's a location that's never more than $100 per night on the weekend.

Have to agree with an earlier poster - Marriott points are turning into Marriott pesos very quickly.

Calling Chase to cancel the card. It's worthless now.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
There used to be two great Cat 5s in downtown Portland, Oregon - the Courtyard Downtown (surprisingly nice) and the RI Riverplace - both gone up to 6. The airport hotels are ok for just that - when you have an early flight, but they're usually under $100/nt anyway.

Certificates quickly seeming useless for me, too. Why would anyone go out of their way to do a Megabonus promotion anymore?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

UGH - I just started playing the megabonus game about 5-6 months ago and started really liking the cat 1-5 certs and have earned and used a bunch of them (several through megabonus). Now pretty much most of the hotels I'm interested in are moving up to Cat 6. I currently have 1 stay to go to earn another 1-5 certificate and am now pausing to wonder if it will be worth it. I can earn a night at SPG also with one more stay so I might use my upcoming stay for SPG instead.

Plus I am going to redeem a Cat 1-5 travel package in the next couple of days and had planned to upgrade it when I earn a few more points over the next 3-6 months. Not going to be possible anymore as every single hotel in the area I'm looking up is moving up to Cat 6-7. I'll be lucky to snag the Cat 6 that I didn't really want if I manage to get my Chase points transferred over in time.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Certificates quickly seeming useless for me, too. Why would anyone go out of their way to do a Megabonus promotion anymore?
They're still useful for taking road trips or if you can stay at suburban properties. But yeah, most properties in city centers are now Cat 6 or above. And wasn't the highest category only 7 a few years ago? There were definitely very, very few 8s.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Marriott just needs to stop these certs and just give out points like any other program. They are now mostly useless and cashing them in for points is a hit/miss hassle. Nothing left in cat. 5 anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.