Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

CL at San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Old Feb 18, 14, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat

Everyone spends a lot of time complaining on FT about this or that--I want to point out a really pleasant experience this weekend at the above property. First, their lounge is one of the biggest I have seen in the chain...it's more like a restaurant than a lounge, as there are no chairs on which to "lounge" other than the tables with chairs set up. ...And it is always packed.

Breakfast is a full spread..fruit, eggs, bacon, potatoes, muffins--you get the gist. Always well-stocked and fully adequate!

The cocktail hour, though, though is what really blew me away. We only had time to go on Sunday and were expecting the usual shriveled chicken finger or skewers, along with a few crackers and some cheese. They had a full buffet....salad, hot vegetables, mashed potatoes and MEATLOAF! Of course, there was fruit, cheese, crackers....full spread.

I complimented the young man on duty and he said they had been doing this for about a year. Hats off to SF Marquis for some respite for the weary traveler...it was nice to finish a long day and not have to worry about going out to an overpriced dinner of dubious quality!
Old Feb 18, 14, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A large lounge akin to a restaurant is not what I aspire to. Also, institutional meatloaf and mashed potatoes belong in a dining hall, not an upscale hotel lounge.

I avoid convention hotels, even when I'm attending a convention.

If one is worried about a "dinner of dubious quality" in SF, one isn't really trying.
Old Feb 18, 14, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

Gtfo with meatloaf being for cafeterias. Go to the top restaurants in New Orleans and you'll see meatloaf or meatloaf inspired dishes.
Old Feb 18, 14, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat
arrogance and elitist attitude made you two miss the intent and air of the information....guess dried out chicken skewers are more typical of your "upscale hotel lounges" that are the fare of most Marriott's in the US......
Old Feb 18, 14, 11:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds wonerful to me! I was at the SF JW CL last year and thought it sucked !!
Old Feb 28, 14, 4:43 pm

I agree. Plus open 7 days a week
Old Feb 28, 14, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, IHG Spire, MR Gold
When I was there this summer the lounge had curry chicken, of course not the best, and better then some Chinese to go places, but for a CL, pretty good, usually most of them get pre-made food from Cosco's deli catalog, which i dont complain about its free and I am not expecting gourmet or $15 a plate meal
Old Feb 28, 14, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by boss315 View Post
guess dried out chicken skewers are more typical of your "upscale hotel lounges"
arrogance and elitist attitude
Old Feb 28, 14, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Everyone spends a lot of time complaining on FT about this or that
Definitely true. LOL
Old Feb 28, 14, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
A large lounge akin to a restaurant is not what I aspire to. Also, institutional meatloaf and mashed potatoes belong in a dining hall, not an upscale hotel lounge.

If one is worried about a "dinner of dubious quality" in SF, one isn't really trying.
Love me some meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 2, 14 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 1, 14, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by dayone View Post

After the meatloaf/dining hall assessment - and now that there are at least two establishments in DC, including the new GCDC and plenty in SF, like The Melt that specialize in grilled cheese sandwiches ~ comfort food [read: meatloaf] - I can't wait for your comments when a GCS shows up in a CL.
https://themelt.com/menu

http://www.grilledcheesedc.com
Old Mar 1, 14, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
. First, their lounge is one of the biggest I have seen in the chain...it's more like a restaurant than a lounge, as there are no chairs on which to "lounge" other than the tables with chairs set up. ...And it is always packed.!
It is more like a restaurant - because it was a restaurant. This is half of the restaurant blocked off by a curtain. The hotel used this space once when they were remodeling the 18th Floor CL. Then moved back to the 18th floor, then moved back down to the 2nd floor restaurant space.

My experience is that the actual restaurant was never crowded, so what they are really doing is serving you a basic meal in the restaurant. Nothing wrong and I like the CL, but it doesn't have the same feel as a regular CL.

I guess it helps to keep the restaurant going.
Old Mar 1, 14, 3:52 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by cova View Post
It is more like a restaurant - because it was a restaurant. This is half of the restaurant blocked off by a curtain. The hotel used this space once when they were remodeling the 18th Floor CL. Then moved back to the 18th floor, then moved back down to the 2nd floor restaurant space.

My experience is that the actual restaurant was never crowded, so what they are really doing is serving you a basic meal in the restaurant. Nothing wrong and I like the CL, but it doesn't have the same feel as a regular CL.

I guess it helps to keep the restaurant going.
Agree with the above, the CL at this property is good but often full to overcrowded. The breakfast buffet in the main restaurant is one of the best in the Marriott chain. There are American options, pan-Asian options and even a few surprises. It's overly priced, but that's to be expected, unfortunately. Almost worth passing up the free basic brekkie if you want to splurge.

Is the CL permanently located in half of the former restaurant space? I had the feeling that was a temporary solution, but maybe that's not the case?
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
We got one room for three people next month.
We will get a rollaway bed for the third person.
We have a M Club access but it says " Access STRICTLY for 2 guests per room maximum".
How much does it cost for the third person to get into the Club?
Do they really enforce the rule?
Old Apr 5, 17, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sleasure View Post

Is the CL permanently located in half of the former restaurant space? I had the feeling that was a temporary solution, but maybe that's not the case?
I don't know if its permanent but was still down there in February 2017. Excellent Roast pork chops one evening. Wine from a serving machine. There was a large convention the week I was there but they had receptions in the evening so the lounge was relatively empty.

I did not go to the lounge in the AM. Nobody checked me into the lounge or asked for my room number. Hotel key to enter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: