Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

A Week In The OC -- Costa Mesa Marriott or Newport Beach Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond

I have an associate heading into Orange County for a week. Trying to decide between the Costa Mesa Marriott Suites and the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa.

He will be traveling throughout the county as well as down to San Diego.

Since I live in the area, I haven't stayed at either property. My instinct would be to recommend the Newport Beach Marriott, but that's a personal bias to the beach cities. I'm hoping to hear from people who've stayed at both to see which one you prefer.

The cost (pre LNF) on the Newport Beach property is crazy high which makes me wonder if the hotel is that much nicer or if you're just paying for the Beach City location.

Thoughts please...........

Last edited by chicaloca453; Jan 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I stayed at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview and liked it as it was fairly easy going for a run.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
This one isn't the Bayview though. It's the Hotel and Spa at Fashion Island.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I have an associate heading into Orange County for a week. Trying to decide between the Costa Mesa Marriott Suites and the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa.

He will be traveling throughout the county as well as down to San Diego.

Since I live in the area, I haven't stayed at either property. My instinct would be to recommend the Newport Beach Marriott, but that's a personal bias to the beach cities. I'm hoping to hear from people who've stayed at both to see which one you prefer.

The cost (pre LNF) on the Newport Beach property is crazy high which makes me wonder if the hotel is that much nicer or if you're just paying for the Beach City location.

Thoughts please...........
Both properties are nice, but I would choose the Costa Mesa Marriott for a week long stay. The property is currently renovating some of the lower floors but the rooms are comfortable and most are two-room suites. Parking is $21 daily and you can walk from the hotel to South Coast Plaza using
the pedestrian bridge nearby. The elite breakfast is in the restaurant or there is
a Starbucks across the street which is a quicker option. The property is near the freeway and SNA Airport with shuttle service.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mr27
Parking is $21 daily
That's now jumped up to $23 a day.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Anyone have an update on exec lounge & weekend breakfast situation at either of these properties? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Having just had breakfast at Costa Mesa Marriott a few hours ago, I can now comment. Just back at the hotel after last day of prelims at USA Swimming Championships. Back to the pool in a few hours for the final night.

Golds get full hot buffet breakfast for two (otherwise $20 each plus tax) and free wi-fi (otherwise $12.95 a day for the lower speed plan). The $23 parking lot is maintained by a separate vendor and everyone pays. Very nice selection of items at breakfast including an omelette station and other hot items (I had oatmeal, french toast, bacon, scrambled eggs). Several kinds of Dannon yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, and overall a very nice selection of items. I'd pay the money for this one if it wasn't comped - thought it was pretty nice in comparison to other hotel buffets I've done.

I'm here on the weekend so don't know if there is a lounge. I was offered the breakfast on check-in for a weekend stay.

I could have had a king here (all suites) if I waited a bit (arrived around 1500), but instead accepted a room with a double and single which is just fine. We did walk over to South Coast Plaza for dinner last night and had an excellent meal at Maggianos (I had gnocchi and sausage).

Breakfast is served in the bar area and the serving line is behind the closed curtain.

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Thanks for the update & pics!

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

Having stayed at both my vote is on the Newport hotel. There is no lounge at the suites and the breakfast was so overrun I bailed and bought my own.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Stayed at the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa for two nights (Fri/Sat) this past weekend for an off-site wedding in Orange County.

Check-in was quick and painless - was offered the Plat amenity choice and advised of the choice for points being given for the CL being closed for the weekend.

Was given an 11th floor room with a full-on golf course/ocean view. It was a long trek from the lobby to this particular tower, but the view was very good.

Self-parking is $25 per night, valet is $30. Self-parking is pretty easy with both garage availability or outside spots available. Note: parking is operated by a third party provider, no points for parking charged to the folio (other than those earned from paying by the Marriott credit card.)

This particular hotel is very much a conference hotel --- lots and lots of meeting rooms. It has a Starbucks on site (part of the gift shop) and two pools for general use (a third pool is earmarked for spa use only). The two pools were underutilized on the weekend days we were there.

Very easy access to Fashion Island mall across the street.

No errors on the bill at checkout. Internet charges were auto-removed.

Last edited by dgreen12; Oct 7, 2014 at 9:38 am Reason: Added clarification that CL closure points were chosen. Extra edit to clarify no points earned for parking.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Stayed at the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Check-in was quick and painless - was offered the Plat amenity choice and advised of the points being given for the CL being closed for the weekend.
Thanks for the updated trip report!

You should have been offered the option of cont'l brekkie in the restaurant or the 750 points. Did they give you the either/or option or just tell you it was the points?

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
NBM is a bland "conference" Marriott

Way too big
Way too busy
Way too sterile

May as well be a Marquis

Bland...yip that's my view

(Stayed 9/23)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the updated trip report!

You should have been offered the option of cont'l brekkie in the restaurant or the 750 points. Did they give you the either/or option or just tell you it was the points?

Cheers.
I believe we were given the choice --- I've edited the TR to reflect that. I was waiting for the PAG choice to not be offered but it was. <sigh>
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I was waiting for the PAG choice to not be offered but it was. <sigh>
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'd vote for Newport Beach just to see the Arrested Development landmarks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.