Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using a Cat 1-5 Certificate at a Cat 7 hotel

Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Going to Kauai next month and have a few Cat 1-5 E Certficiates. i see only the Courtyard fits within the 1-5 category. However, when checking availability for Cat 7 Kaua'i Marriott Resort, I see an option to redeem E-Certficiate plus $50. Does this apply to my Category 1-5 E Certificate or one that is good for a Category 7 hotel?

That being said, should I stay at the Marriott Resort or the Courtyard if I can use my certificates at either?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
E-cert for Cat 7 + $50 is that they are asking.

You can't use Cat 5 Cert.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jonboy71
Going to Kauai next month and have a few Cat 1-5 E Certficiates. i see only the Courtyard fits within the 1-5 category. However, when checking availability for Cat 7 Kaua'i Marriott Resort, I see an option to redeem E-Certficiate plus $50. Does this apply to my Category 1-5 E Certificate or one that is good for a Category 7 hotel?

That being said, should I stay at the Marriott Resort or the Courtyard if I can use my certificates at either?
No
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
This is one change I would love to see - the ability to used a lower category E- Cert plus cash (or points) co-pay to buy up to a higher category redemption.

Marriott, are you listening?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
This is one change I would love to see - the ability to used a lower category E- Cert plus cash (or points) co-pay to buy up to a higher category redemption.

Marriott, are you listening?
^+1
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:50 am

If this is a seven day cert and you are gold/platinum and have 30k Points to spare you can call MR and ask them to make this cat 5 cert a cat 7 cert.

BTW: If you're just looking for a place to sleep and will be active all over the Island, the CY is not a bad choice...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by funkbandit
If this is a seven day cert and you are gold/platinum and have 30k Points to spare you can call MR and ask them to make this cat 5 cert a cat 7 cert.
I suspect the OP has one or more single night e-certs probably from either their CC or from the Megabonus.

And while I would agree that it would be great if Marriott would allow us to "upgrade" those CC/Megabonus e-certs, I'm very skeptical about it ever happening. Doing that would change the whole dynamics of those e-certs. They would become much more useable. It is very possible that many of them would then be used at the higher end properties (where awards tend to be booked more often already.) And I wonder how many of these e-certs end up never being used at all? If the Cat level can be increased (even with a cost), then I would guess there would be less e-certs going unused.

The end result is their costs would increase (yes, they might be able to offset that some by "charging" for the upgrade), but with that increased cost will they really see more business driven to either the Credit Cards or more night stays at their hotels? I suspect they have looked into it and have decided it isn't really worth the costs.

At some future point, they may up the normal Cat levels for those awards (i.e. Cat. 1-6 rather than Cat. 1-5), but I'm doubtful they would let people "upgrade" those e-certs at will.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Kauai Courtyard Experience

Just stayed at CY on Kauai at a Plat.

Got room upgrade to the 4th (top) floor with ocean view. Although it's a little dated, it's not too bad.

Got waived the $14 parking fee and free buffet breakfast as a Plat. Both given without asking.

I don't think you can upgrade your cert. To me, CY on Kauai is not too bad, 7 miles north of Kauai Marriott Resort, which I also stayed before. Convenient access to Kapaa and points to the north.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by funkbandit
This would be great, if true. I've never heard of Marriott allowing it. Never. Ever.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if Marriott has re-considered their policy.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
This would be great, if true. I've never heard of Marriott allowing it. Never. Ever.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if Marriott has re-considered their policy.
They absolutely allow upgrading the SEVEN DAY certs. These are obtained from the travel packages.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They absolutely allow upgrading the SEVEN DAY certs. These are obtained from the travel packages.
My bad, I thought we were discussing cat 1-5 certs earned via MegaBonus promotions.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
My bad, I thought we were discussing cat 1-5 certs earned via MegaBonus promotions.
OP was referring to the Cat 1-5 cert, which cannot be used at Cat 7.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:43 pm

Even if they gave you a Category 5 certificate... or 50% point value of 12,500 it would be an improvement.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
so you dig up a 4 year old thread and post a negative comment because you can't use the free Cat 1-5 cert and get $600+ value for it (which you in fact can)

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
Even if they gave you a Category 5 certificate... or 50% point value of 12,500 it would be an improvement.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
OP was referring to the Cat 1-5 cert, which cannot be used at Cat 7.
There are different types of Cat. 1-5 certs. There are the ones you earn from promotions (typically good for one night) which you can't upgrade. And then there are the 5 or 7 days Cat. 1-5 certs from travel packages which you can upgrade to higher redemption categories by calling MR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.