Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott vs regular marriott in Buckhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

This is likely going to seem like a stuipd question given that JW Marriott is usually high end.

From what I understand the regular Marriott has just been renovated. Can anyone weigh in on this? Does the reno make it better than the JW? I can stay at either. thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:43 pm
Used to be hamajicky

I haven't stayed at either, but I work in between both properties. The JW's public spaces and general ambiance are far nicer than the regular Marriott. The regular Marriott has a sports-bar type atmosphere and to me, looks kinda crummy.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:29 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The JW Marriott Buckhead is an upscale high-rise hotel that is literally attached to the Lenox Mall.

The Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel and Conference Centre is a standard older concrete mid-rise property across the street and a large parking lot from the Mall. It was formerly a Sheraton, and with that comes the small cookie cutter rooms, poor sound insulation, etc. As for the "recent renovation", I believe that only references when they renovated to change it from a Sheraton to a Marriott a couple of years ago, so it is just your standard Marriott room (not even the newest generation of decor).
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:04 pm

I was less than impressed with the triangular room I had there and wouldn't classify it as a JW.

My first choice in Buckhead is the Ritz Carlton ... Great people watching bar too.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pwrshift
I was less than impressed with the triangular room I had there and wouldn't classify it as a JW.

My first choice in Buckhead is the Ritz Carlton ... Great people watching bar too.
People watching at the Buckhead RC many times = scantily clad women that charge you to make a room visit... watch at your own risk. Haha.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I've stayed at the Buckhead FS Marriott a few times and enjoyed it. The rooms were nice and don't let the exterior fool you - it's a nice hotel inside. That said, I'd take the JW if I could pick without any concern of cost.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Love the JW Buckhead.

Including the triangular room. Great staff right up to Mike G, the GM. Their hotel shuttle service is awesome.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pwrshift

And the Ritz Buckhead fountain was the scene of one of the strangest deaths in Atlanta history. Madam Bell was a local celebrity, due, in part, to her frequent commercials.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
JW is much nicer and more high-end that the Marriott (most of them usually are).
I also find the Concierge Lounge offerings and service to be better.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
I've stayed both the JW and Marriott across the street. Of course the JW has nicer rooms, but they both have excellent concierge lounges. Parking cost is the same at both. I would normally stay at the JW for the Peachtree Roadrace, but last year it got bumped up to Cat 6.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I've stayed at all three. The JW many times, the RC twice, and the Marriott just once.

The JW is my choice because it meets all expectations of a JW. If you want to people watch, then cross the street to Houston's and grab a seat at the bar where you'll meet colorful local people and not pretentious boobs (oops did I say that?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.