Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Megabonus Cert to be used by friends/family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

I have been trying to get my friend for a booking to a Marriott hotel,where in I wouldn't be available for check-in.Just wanted to confirm if anyone had success,using the Marriott Megabonus Certificates for reservations done for friends/family.And if thats possible,the way out for it

I have been trying to chalk out a way but the Marriott site doesn't allow me to change the name in the reservation when i have choosen Free night certificate as the option for the night/stay.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

You have to call to have the friend's name added. It cannot be done online.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The T&Cs are below, which show the certs cannot be transferred. This is why you cannot change the name on the reservation. Several years ago, I was using a CC cert. My sister, who was also on the reservation, was only allowed to check in with her credit card, letting her know she would be charged for the room. Once I got there an hour later, I had to go to the front desk to get the cert applied to the room. They wouldn't allow her to use the cert.

* Terms and Conditions:
A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Registration is required. Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by November 15, 2013 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-5 hotel after each second paid stay made between September 15, 2013 and January 15, 2014, at a participating Marriott property. Maximum two (2) free night awards earned with this promotion per member. The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and the offer is not transferable. An earned free night award can be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-5 properties for one (1) free night. Free night award will expire one (1) year after the date of issuance. An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only. An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay. Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion. Participating brands include JW Marriott®, EDITION®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott® Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott®, Gaylord Hotels and Marriott Vacation Club®. Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply. Visit www.marriottrewards.com/MegaBonus, www.marriottrewards.com/customer-service, or call your local Marriott Rewards Customer Support office for complete details. © 2013 Marriott International, Inc.

**Hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The T&Cs are below, which show the certs cannot be transferred. This is why you cannot change the name on the reservation. Several years ago, I was using a CC cert. My sister, who was also on the reservation, was only allowed to check in with her credit card, letting her know she would be charged for the room. Once I got there an hour later, I had to go to the front desk to get the cert applied to the room. They wouldn't allow her to use the cert.
I knoe by all means,Marriott doesnt allows certificates to be transferred.But i have seen many people on FT,mentioning the same earlier in their posts.Just wanted to knoe where i was going wrong
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
Have u ever tried doing the same ? or just a pre-assumption/read somewhere about it.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - Delta Platinum - Hyatt Platinum - Hertz President Circle - NEXUS - Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
Have u ever tried doing the same ? or just a pre-assumption/read somewhere about it.
Welcome to the world of internet forums, where everyone has the answer,

you are good to ask that question, most of us don't.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:54 am

Actually, when my sister had trouble checking in when we were using my cert, knowing she would be arriving at the hotel before me, I did call and have her name added to the reservation. While I don't know if the other poster actually did that, I can affirm I have personally done that. What I cannot remember, though, is whether this was done through the Marriott reservation line, or by calling the hotel (ATL Marquis) directly. I did call the hotel directly about getting connecting rooms, so I may have added her name at that point.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
I called about two weeks ago to do this and was told that Megabonus Certs could not be given to someone else.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I assume if I use a cert on a hotel near my home, go and do the checkin and give the keycard to my guests (requesting quick checkout so the room is settled automatically) then it would be fine?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ChrisH
I assume if I use a cert on a hotel near my home, go and do the checkin and give the keycard to my guests (requesting quick checkout so the room is settled automatically) then it would be fine?
Technically, no, but do you think anyone's doing bed checks?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It should work, as long as you don't hand over the keys in front of the FDC .

Also you want to have a chat w/ family or friends to make sure they don't trash the place or run up a bar bill on your cc. Think that happened to a FTer a few years back who booked a room for his brother using a cert. Bro was not a great guest & the FTer's cc got hit with charge.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:16 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have done this before.... called to add my partner who might arrive before I did... but it was always made clear that his credit card would be taken and I would have to provide mine when I arrived. Failure to do that meant his card would be charged full price for the room night.

They were clear that the certificate was NOT transferrable.

Does not mean that someone has got an exception made or the hotel looked the other way, but you should be aware of the risk if you try.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segments

Yes I've done it, although typically it has been a local hotel. (or we are traveling separately)

Tell reservations that guest is arriving before you and needs to be added. Best to stop by desk to check in/ out eventually but often I may arrive on day 2 (eg they arrived night before and I spoke with desk next morning)

Are you not available for check-in per your original post or will not be present at all?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It should work, as long as you don't hand over the keys in front of the FDC .

Also you want to have a chat w/ family or friends to make sure they don't trash the place or run up a bar bill on your cc. Think that happened to a FTer a few years back who booked a room for his brother using a cert. Bro was not a great guest & the FTer's cc got hit with charge.

Cheers.
I wont be there to hand over the keys,thats one basic problem why i had this thread LOL.
and i am not worried about the Bill on my CC.it was a booking for my Dad.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not if the guests get locked out of the room for some reason. They won't be able to get a new keycard from the front desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.