Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Uninvited guest in my room at full service Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott P, National EE, Unite 1K,

So, I was staying at a Full Service Marriott on the concierge floor last week and woke up to a man standing at the foot of my bed with a red light flashlight (used to preserve night vision) presumable to steal my gear. I woke up, chased him out of the room and all is well. Management was beside themselves and of course gave me the night free but what would you ask for in terms of compensation for a man having key card assess to your room? The police are investigating how he had access.
What is reasonable to ask from Marriott? I am platinum, I don't know if points, status for life or what to ask for. Any ideas???
Thanks and BE SAFE!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Petey2254
So, I was staying at a Full Service Marriott on the concierge floor last week and woke up to a man standing at the foot of my bed with a red light flashlight (used to preserve night vision) presumable to steal my gear. I woke up, chased him out of the room and all is well. Management was beside themselves and of course gave me the night free but what would you ask for in terms of compensation for a man having key card assess to your room? The police are investigating how he had access.
What is reasonable to ask from Marriott? I am platinum, I don't know if points, status for life or what to ask for. Any ideas???
Thanks and BE SAFE!
You didn't bolt the door? That's how you BE SAFE.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think you should make sure that you shut the door next time.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Status for life? Doubt it.

What hotel? Please share.

I'd ask for what makes the most sense for you? Do you want/need points? Do you need the $?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
So, I was staying at a Full Service Marriott on the concierge floor last week and woke up to a man standing at the foot of my bed with a red light flashlight
Last week ... Are you sure it was a red flashlight? Might it have been a reindeer?

[Sorry. I know it's a serious matter. I'd be livid].
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Thanks and BE SAFE!
Oh, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I second the suggestion to close and bolt the door.

I also always put out the DND sign, which could keep folks from inadvertently entering your occupied room. I checked in late one night to a FI and happened to see the DND on the door. It turned out the room was occupied and they had mistakenly given me an additional key.

As far as compensation, just decide what's important to you and what sounds reasonable.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This sounds like a very serious issue. Escalate to the GM and Marriott Corporate, regardless of compensation sought.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott P, National EE, Unite 1K,
The door was shut. I neglected to latch the door which is unusual but my plan was to go back down stairs for dinner. Decided not to and went to bed neglecting to flip the latch (which btw are easily defeated). I travel over 200 nights a year, this ain't my first rodeo. The DND tag was on the door and if you think that is stopping someone from coming in you're living in a dreamworld. Housekeeping busts through it all the time. This man has allegedly hit several other properties in the area I have now learned from detectives.The story has changed a bit as to if it was local Marriott properties or just airport properties in general. He HAD A KEY CARD, the door was closed/locked. Restaurant staff was chatting with me about the situation and said a key card was missing from the employee room (?) not sure what that is or if it was true but they were quite up in arms about it. Of course I reported that to the management and the detective.
They were awaiting the chief engineer to run the key card lock on my door to see if they could determine what key was used to open the CLOSED door when I had to leave for a flight.
Anyway, I was just looking for what others thought was reasonable compensation, not lectures about personal safety. Glad to know no one else in here has ever forgotten to do something. I suppose it would have been my fault if he had stolen my gear or caused me bodily harm.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I think the free night is compensation enough ...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
The door was shut. I neglected to latch the door which is unusual but my plan was to go back down stairs for dinner. Decided not to and went to bed neglecting to flip the latch (which btw are easily defeated). I travel over 200 nights a year, this ain't my first rodeo. The DND tag was on the door and if you think that is stopping someone from coming in you're living in a dreamworld. Housekeeping busts through it all the time. This man has allegedly hit several other properties in the area I have now learned from detectives.The story has changed a bit as to if it was local Marriott properties or just airport properties in general. He HAD A KEY CARD, the door was closed/locked. Restaurant staff was chatting with me about the situation and said a key card was missing from the employee room (?) not sure what that is or if it was true but they were quite up in arms about it. Of course I reported that to the management and the detective.
They were awaiting the chief engineer to run the key card lock on my door to see if they could determine what key was used to open the CLOSED door when I had to leave for a flight.
Anyway, I was just looking for what others thought was reasonable compensation, not lectures about personal safety. Glad to know no one else in here has ever forgotten to do something. I suppose it would have been my fault if he had stolen my gear or caused me bodily harm.
Again - which hotel, or "area".
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Stop wobbling your head. Your first post is "what compensation can I get" so what did you expect? Tea and biscuits?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

While it was a mistake (that you readily admit to) to not bolt the door, it would take a lot to calm me down and I'm guessing that 100k points (2-3 nights in a decent hotel) is about that number for me. These days there are cameras everywhere and hotel security determining the key card situation shouldn't take forever.

Generally I'm not a fan of "how much will I be compensated" type threads but for those saying that refunding the night is complete compensation, that's ridiculous. What if it was your wife? Or daughter/son?

The hotel is responsible for hotel security, not the guest.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
The hotel is responsible for hotel security, not the guest.
I don't mean to imply this was the OP's fault, nor that he isn't due compensation, but hotel security is a SHARED responsibility. The OP could have taken additional steps to protect himself. Whether those would have been good enough to prevent what happened, well, there's no way to know. The hotel can have all the security in the world, but if I hold the door open at night to let someone in, I may have just thwarted the hotel's efforts.

Let this serve as a reminder to each of us the importance of making sure the door is closed, the latch is locked and the bar is closed. While the perp may have still gotten in the room, there would have likely been more noise.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Does the hotel not have any video surveillence cameras?

In many hotels there is substantial coverage.

Where did you chase him too? Only so many places to run in a hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Once more, as seems to almost always be the case in such posts, the OP will not post the name of the property because the OP believes that by holding the hotel hostage to having its name disclosed, his chances of obtaining whatever compensation he deems fair increases. He doesn't care whether you want to know the name or whether this information would be helpful to others.

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.