Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Lobby renovation is complete. Executive lounge is on ground floor (not a M Lounge).
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I didn't post pictures of the restaurant as I realized that since the last time I took photos it had changed from a French bistro to a steakhouse, so decor is different.

Didn't post pictures of the executive lounge either, as it's closed & undergoing renovation so again my pics would be outdated.

Anyway, hope the pics I did post give you a view/idea of what Grosvenor House is like.

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for posting. I wish I had taken better photos of my stay just prior to Christmas.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Thanks for posting. I wish I had taken better photos of my stay just prior to Christmas.
I bet GH is beautiful during the holidays!

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Loved this hotel when we stayed there last year but thought the rooms were getting a tad on the tired side.

Any plans for a room renovation?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Loved this hotel when we stayed there last year but thought the rooms were getting a tad on the tired side.

Any plans for a room renovation?
They were just renovated in the last few years so my guess is no. FWIW - I didn't think the rooms were tired so this may be a case of YMMV.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
They were just renovated in the last few years so my guess is no. FWIW - I didn't think the rooms were tired so this may be a case of YMMV.

Cheers.
Marriott.com shows last renovated in 2007 for the rooms as an FYI.

I was on the CL in a larger room (I was on a points stay and did not upgraded to a suite. The manager on duty even came out to apologize me to me when I checked in) and thought the carpet could use some replacing at a minimum.

Last edited by apodo77; Apr 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:44 pm

Marriott.com shows last renovated in 2007 for the rooms as an FYI.
That sounds like when they started? I know it's not been 7 years since the room reno was completely finished, as I stay there every year. Plus they did the room reno in stages. GH is a large property & they shut down one of the buildings while they reno'd keeping the other open, & then closed down the second to redo that one. The rooms renovation took quite a long time. If you want worn, you should have seen the rooms before the renos - the owners before Marriott hadn't done anything to the rooms in what seemed like forever!

Anyway, sorry to hear the carpet was worn in your room. I've not experienced that in the rooms I've been in. My guess (& it's only that) is that it will be a few more years before another major renovation starts & if they follow what they did the last time it will be a 2-stage process. Luckily GH's footprint allows for that. I hate it when the renos are happening on the floor above you/jackhammers start in the morning. With GH they can shut down one wing to work on it & the 2nd wing doesn't hear the noise.

BTW - a clarification for others. Suite upgrades ARE available on point stays, but of course are not guaranteed.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: add part about previous owners...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:48 pm

That sounds like when they started? I know it's not been 7 years since the room reno was completely finished, as I stay there every year. Plus they did the room reno in stages. GH is a large property & they shut down one of the buildings while they reno'd keeping the other open, & then closed down the second to redo that one. The rooms renovation took quite a long time. If you want worn, you should have seen the rooms before the renos - the owners before Marriott hadn't done anything to the rooms in what seemed like forever!

Anyway, sorry to hear the carpet was worn in your room. I've not experienced that in the rooms I've been in. My guess (& it's only that) is that it will be a few more years before another major renovation starts & if they follow what they did the last time it will be a 2-stage process. Luckily GH's footprint allows for that. I hate it when the renos are happening on the floor above you/jackhammers start in the morning. With GH they can shut down one wing to work on it & the 2nd wing doesn't hear the noise.

BTW - a clarification for others. Suite upgrades ARE available on point stays, but of course are not guaranteed.

Cheers.
Nothing that would prevent me from staying there again. Had a lovely time.

We were there 5 nights and when we checked in the manager on duty actually came out and apologized for no suite upgrade. Was a busy time at the hotel he said and honestly never get too worked up about upgrades.

Sent up the JW Marriott cheesecake 3 of the nights. ^
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

no suite upgrade when on points
As Sharon noted, that is absolutely not true.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
As Sharon noted, that is absolutely not true.
I worded that poorly. I meant to say "I was on a points stay and did not receive an upgrade".
As someone who has received suite and villa upgrades while on points on several occasionsI do know they are available.

I will edit my post.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:08 am

Sent up the JW Marriott cheesecake 3 of the nights. ^
I LOVE that cheesecake!

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:46 pm

Happened to see this on TripAdvisor written by the hotel manager:

"You may be pleased to know that Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel is proudly celebrating it's 85th Anniversary this year. We will shortly be embarking on a renovation of our Executive Lounge, Suites and Guest Rooms; enhancing the elegance of our quintessentially British design and preserving our rich heritage, whilst upgrading our facilities to meet the modern needs of our valued guests."

We know the exec lounge is closed for renovation until end of June. No idea on the time frame for the rooms or suites (and looks like apodo77 gets his wish! ). If they did it like before, they'll close down one wing entirely & do that one whilst the other stays open (less disruptive to guests) & then switch. It definitely took a while when they did the rooms the last time. GH is a big place.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:52 pm

I am going to London with my adult daughter and needed a room with two double beds...but apparently such rooms at the JW Marriott GH are very limited and they suggested I would probably only get a room with two small twin beds.

That with the fact the exec. lounge is closed while we will be there killed it and we are staying at Park Lane instead....even though their lobby is being renovated.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If they did it like before, they'll close down one wing entirely & do that one whilst the other stays open (less disruptive to guests) & then switch. It definitely took a while when they did the rooms the last time. GH is a big place.
Unless this is another major "restoration," room renovations probably could be accomplished a partial floor at a time.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Unless this is another major "restoration," room renovations probably could be accomplished a partial floor at a time.
Be interesting to find out if it's another renovation or a quick refresh.

I actually liked the way they did it before, as one didn't have jackhammers above one's head as some properties do when renovating. In fairness, GH has the footprint that allows them to close down one wing while they renovate the other; not all properties have that luxury.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.