Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Gold Status -- Upgrade? Club Lounge?

Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello All!

I am staying for two nights from 12/27 - 12/29 at the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile. My question -- what are the odds of getting an upgrade with my gold status?

Have any of you stayed here and gotten an upgrade?

How is the club lounge?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
odds are that you'll find out about your potential uopgrade at checkin as NO ONE here has a crystal ball to determine the occupancy of the hotel on 27 December, but you can use your own...........

any previous stays by others getting or not getting upgraded have ABSOLUTELY no impact on whether you will or will not get upgraded......

Originally Posted by dctraveller22202
I am staying for two nights from 12/27 - 12/29 at the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile. My question -- what are the odds of getting an upgrade with my gold status?

Have any of you stayed here and gotten an upgrade?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
any previous stays by others getting or not getting upgraded have ABSOLUTELY no impact on whether you will or will not get upgraded......
Have to disagree with you on this. If people chimed in with past experiences where the hotel didn't upgrade even when at lower capacity, I might think there that there might be some level of evidence that they might not upgrade the OP on this reservation. Or if a number of people chimed in that they received great upgrades even when the hotel was virtually booked, it might show the hotel staff tries very hard to upgrade when ever possible. Or if others chimed in that by contacting the hotel management thet were able to get on the spot upgrades, it might be worth the OP to try that route. But the OP wouldn't know any of that without first asking if others had any experiences here. (

I might agree that there would be no guarantees, but to say there is there is no corelation at all, isn't completely true either.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:17 pm
Suspended

I'm sure that when you check in and get an upgrade the first thing you do is check the # of available bookings to verify if the hotel was near fully booked or not.............if you don't then your post makes no sense at all.......

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Have to disagree with you on this. If people chimed in with past experiences where the hotel didn't upgrade even when at lower capacity, I might think there that there might be some level of evidence that they might not upgrade the OP on this reservation. Or if a number of people chimed in that they received great upgrades even when the hotel was virtually booked, it might show the hotel staff tries very hard to upgrade when ever possible. Or if others chimed in that by contacting the hotel management thet were able to get on the spot upgrades, it might be worth the OP to try that route. But the OP wouldn't know any of that without first asking if others had any experiences here. (

I might agree that there would be no guarantees, but to say there is there is no corelation at all, isn't completely true either.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat

How is the club lounge?
As previously commented, upgrades may or may not be available. Ask for a high floor room regardless, I had a nice view of the city and the lake when I stayed there a few months ago.

The club lounge is on the second floor and is a fairly typical lounge with the typical hot food offereings. It tends to be very crowded during the morning rush and the late afternoon rush. YMMV during the holiday season.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:23 am

but as a gold, lounge access is possible? upgrade not needed to access lounge?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
but as a gold, lounge access is possible? upgrade not needed to access lounge?
As a gold you and one guest have access to the club lounge.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You might want to check with the hotel to see if the exec lounge is open during the holidays. Some close during the Xmas holidays because biz travel is slower then. Having said that, given it's Chicago Mag Mile & Chicago is very festive during the holiday season/has a great location I would expect it to be open.

PS - Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You might want to check with the hotel to see if the exec lounge is open during the holidays. Some close during the Xmas holidays because biz travel is slower then. Having said that, given it's Chicago Mag Mile & Chicago is very festive during the holiday season/has a great location I would expect it to be open.

Cheers.
I was chatting with the lounge folks here in Kansas where they've almost became a second family to me. Because of the new breakfast policy, they are staying open, at least for breakfast over the holidays that they normally close. They were open Thanksgiving and now Christmas morning. I guess its cheaper than giving vouchers for the restaurant? Wonder if it will spread...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I'm sure that when you check in and get an upgrade the first thing you do is check the # of available bookings to verify if the hotel was near fully booked or not.............if you don't then your post makes no sense at all.......
Maybe he had a crystal ball!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Thank you! :-) I'm looking forward to this much needed time away from DC.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

more likely, another type of crystal

Maybe he had a crystal ball!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:57 pm

When I was in New Jersey last month they started keeping their lounge open on weekends and said they get a lot of plats and it was cheaper than giving out vouchers. I think the lounges open on the weekends is catching on.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hm212
I think the lounges open on the weekends is catching on.
At least, apparently, in Kansas and New Jersey.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:18 am
Suspended

since there are more then one Marriott property in NJ, mind identifying which Marriott you're referring to so that Sharon can update her sticky.....
THXs.......

Originally Posted by hm212
When I was in New Jersey last month they started keeping their lounge open on weekends and said they get a lot of plats and it was cheaper than giving out vouchers. I think the lounges open on the weekends is catching on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.