Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Listing Elite Members Publicly at Check-in

Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE

I saw something strange recently at the Fairfield Inn in Branson, MO. At check-in they had a digital "picture frame" display that showed pictures of the hotel, weather, and the list of elite members staying at the hotel by level. I feel like this is a bit of a privacy violation to list the names of people staying in the hotel at the front desk.

Now, here's the funny part, I'm a gold and was not listed. So now, I'm coming away from this offended that I was not offended

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I saw something strange recently at the Fairfield Inn in Branson, MO. At check-in they had a digital "picture frame" display that showed pictures of the hotel, weather, and the list of elite members staying at the hotel by level. I feel like this is a bit of a privacy violation to list the names of people staying in the hotel at the front desk.

Now, here's the funny part, I'm a gold and was not listed. So now, I'm coming away from this offended that I was not offended

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
If you're an Elite and were not on the list are you sure that that's what the list was? Could it have been a list for a convention/meeting etc... (with those people's tier level)?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I can't remember what hotel it was at but it was either a FI, SHS, or CY in some small town in the Southeast but they had a sign welcoming each elite member by first name, last initial. Was a little strange, but that sort of hospitality is what is expected at these smaller-town "local" hotels.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Stripy
If you're an Elite and were not on the list are you sure that that's what the list was? Could it have been a list for a convention/meeting etc... (with those people's tier level)?
No, it was pretty explicit. It had text to the effect of, "We'd like to welcome the following Marriott Rewards members staying with us..."

Platinum:
First name Last name

Gold:
First Name Last name

Silver:
First Name Last Name

General Member:
First Name Last Name

Now that I'm typing this out, it listed everyone who was a member with full name.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've seen this before and think its OK and not the least offended (except if left off of course ) Its a nice touch to show you that someone is actually paying attention.

Of course the conspiracy theorists and people wanting to hide something will find this appealing (not saying this applies here...)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
I can't remember what hotel it was at but it was either a FI, SHS, or CY in some small town in the Southeast but they had a sign welcoming each elite member by first name, last initial.
I've seen it quite a bit - always with only the last name designated only by initial.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6 MM, AA EXP, SPG Gold, MARR Plat (Premier) Lifetime, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I've seen it quite a bit - always with only the last name designated only by initial.
ever see SMI/J?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rcheneyjr
ever see SMI/J?
Pretty sure he's staying in a totally different class of hotel than I. He would not have enjoyed sharing a continental breakfast at the average FI with me in the same room. Can't believe what he's done to a perfectly fine airline.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's to make the people who are suckered by the marketers into believing that they are "elite" because the marketer sent them a shiny plastic card, feel even more "elite".

Yes, it's totally inappropriate. There are all kinds of people who stay at properties who don't particularly want it known that they are there.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I've seen this before, but only first name, last initial
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
and check in with fake ID and fake credit cards!!!
isn't their real name on the CC which they present at checkin against the name on the reservation????

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, it's totally inappropriate. There are all kinds of people who stay at properties who don't particularly want it known that they are there.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:19 pm

Last names should definitely not be listed. I am not a privacy freak but I really don't like that. Although I guess Hertz Gold publishes my name at the airport so.....
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:29 pm

I don't like it AT ALL.

Last edited by nightowlrn; Jan 12, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
do they still have a public list of #1s by name directing them to bypass the in-airport desk and go to the lot ????

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Although I guess Hertz Gold publishes my name at the airport so.....
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
I can't remember what hotel it was at but it was either a FI, SHS, or CY in some small town in the Southeast but they had a sign welcoming each elite member by first name, last initial. Was a little strange, but that sort of hospitality is what is expected at these smaller-town "local" hotels.
A few years ago I saw this at some MR hotels in the Washington, DC suburbs. It was only first name, last initial. That level of information doesn't bother me as a privacy violation or a safety risk. My wife is more sensitive to these concerns, though, and would be angry if her name were on display like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.