Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Listing Elite Members Publicly at Check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing Elite Members Publicly at Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by rickCT01
I tried a ittle joke when checking in for a while. the clerk would ask my name and I woud hand over my credit card and say "Express, first name American". Every single time they woud tap the keyboard a few times and reply "Sorry, no reservation for Mr. Express" I never figured out is the clerks were messing with me back or really confused.
That reminds me of a humorous bit published in Readers' Digest years ago. A hotel front desk staffer wrote that she would note the name on the credit card to thank the guest personally for staying at the hotel. During a restaurant managers' conference she was very busy and glanced down at one card only long enough to note the last name. "Thank you for staying with us, Mr. Bell," she said.

"Oh, please," the guest responded, "Call me Taco."
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Marriott Concierge?

T'would be nice to have the Marriott Concierge team chime in here and let us know whether there are any official policies or restrictions in re publicly listing full names of elites staying at properties.

Last edited by ohmark; Dec 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by Often1
It's to make the people who are suckered by the marketers into believing that they are "elite" because the marketer sent them a shiny plastic card, feel even more "elite".

Yes, it's totally inappropriate. There are all kinds of people who stay at properties who don't particularly want it known that they are there.
If you rent from Hertz, you may have the same issue.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Like at a Hertz Car Rental - name up in lights that your are Presidents Circle or Number 1 Gold etc. No different IMO
exactly.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by TomBrady
exactly.
Not.
Once I drive out of the lot, I'm gone. The sign in the hotel tells whoever exactly where I am and am going to be. Might not be that much harder to find out what room I'm in.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried a ittle joke when checking in for a while. the clerk would ask my name and I woud hand over my credit card and say "Express, first name American". Every single time they woud tap the keyboard a few times and reply "Sorry, no reservation for Mr. Express" I never figured out is the clerks were messing with me back or really confused.
Some other ones:
"Can I have your name please sir?"
"Why, don't you like yours?"

and

"Do you have a reservation?"
"About this place? Many, and long standing, but I keep coming back."
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriot Rewards PP
as Bill Engvall would say, "Here's your sign..."
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Our company security team routinely advises new hires to not identify themsolves verbally at check in. We are told to hand over a credit card or business card. The desk clerks are also not supposed to verbally announce your room number but hand you the keycard in the little folder with the number written inside. Posting your name on a display board seems contrary to the other procedures.
Not sure what is sadder, the crazy paranoia or the possibility that some entity pays "an expert" for this advice...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: Delta,AA,Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold
I noticed this is for the first time while staying at a Residence Inn off & on for a few months. I really didn't like it, thought it was a bit of a privacy issue, but really didn't push the issue either. You can ask the front desk staff to take it off if it really bothered you that much, i'm sure they would accommodate you.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I was checking in with a colleague who made a last minute reservation. He was a Plat, but his name was not on the list.

I told him "I was reading on this website called FlyerTalk that Marriott screwed up and deleted a lot of MR profiles, so you better look into that..."

The board at Hertz, signs that the car service drivers hold, GIDS at DL, etc. all have a part of my name for everyone to see. The case here is not really necessary though, but I see it as the staff at limited service properties acknowledging the folks that spend a lot of nights with Marriott.

I suppose if someone was really bothered by this they could make a note in the the remarks area when making a reservation to not be placed on the list.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
I stayed at a fairfield inn back in september and they also had the same list. They had my name too but I did not care as they were changing it daily so it was there for the day only so not big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.