Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Become Largest Hotel Company in Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Points earned on room rate only at Protea hotels.
Print Wikipost

Marriott to Become Largest Hotel Company in Africa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think the Protea acquisition is a good get for Marriott...but it merely reinforces Marriott's continued march to the middle. Marriott's biggest weakness IMO is its lack of aspirational properties, aside from its Ritz Carleton hotels. There just are no particularly amazing Marriotts or JW Marriotts anywhere that make me really fantasize about Marriott.
In Marriott's defence they have been occupying the middle ground for a while now. Part of Marriott's strength is in its uniformity. Starwood and Hilton tend to vary in quality much more. I have stayed in some good Sheraton's and one or two that are below anything I have encountered at a Marriott. The Protea hotels acquisition are for the most part business hotels to target business travelers in expanding economies in Africa, not to provide aspirational properties for points redemption.

And while those other chains may have more "aspirational" properties, you often have pay so many points that its better to just pay cash. The Starwood properties in French Polynesia are a good example.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The Protea hotels acquisition are for the most part business hotels to target business travelers in expanding economies in Africa, not to provide aspirational properties for points redemption.
That's what I figured as well, backed up by the conference Arne spoke at a couple of days ago.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 am

Saw this on Marriott's website:

Nigeria’s new 117-room Protea Hotel Select Ikeja opens its doors this week in the upmarket Lagos suburb of Ikeja. The internationally competitive hotel is just a stone’s throw away from Ikeja City Mall & Lagos State Secretariat, and a mere 5.2km away from Murtala Muhammed International Airport.

Accommodation at Protea Hotel Select Ikeja caters for corporate travellers with a variety of room types to suit GUESTS’ needs, as well as a comfortable restaurant, bar and conference facilities for close to 60 people. The hotel’s restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and has a strong focus on local and continental cuisine. The bar is open 24 hours a day, though, offering a Poolside menu, and room service is also available around the clock. Other hotel facilities include a shuttle service, secure open parking, and laundry service as well as free Wi-Fi access.

Protea Hotels Director of Sales, Marketing and Revenue, Danny Bryer, says Nigeria’s rapidly growing economy is prompting the need for more hotels. "Nigeria is Africa’s largest economy with numerous industries supporting ongoing economic expansion. We consider Nigeria to be one of our most important development markets and we’d like to at least double the number of Protea Hotels there in the next 5 years."

As well as the Protea Hotel Select Ikeja the group has five more hotels in the pipeline for Nigeria, these are:

- A 155-room African Pride Avalon Hotel & Spa (2015)
- A 150-room Lagos Marriott Hotel, Victoria Island (2016)
- A 250-room Courtyard by Marriott Abuja (2018)
- A 100-unit Marriott Executive Apartments Abuja (2018)
- A 250-room Lagos Marriott Hotel, Ikeja GRA (2018)

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
In Marriott's defence they have been occupying the middle ground for a while now. Part of Marriott's strength is in its uniformity. Starwood and Hilton tend to vary in quality much more. I have stayed in some good Sheraton's and one or two that are below anything I have encountered at a Marriott...
This is also true with Marriott. The variation in quality is best exemplified by the Courtyard brand. Compare Courtyard, Anytown, USA to any CY in Shanghai or Beijing (or anywhere in Asia for that matter).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
This is also true with Marriott. The variation in quality is best exemplified by the Courtyard brand. Compare Courtyard, Anytown, USA to any CY in Shanghai or Beijing (or anywhere in Asia for that matter).
Other than Asia CYs have exec lounges, what's the difference in the footprint/quality of the properties btwn CY ROW to Asia (although this is sidetracking the thread from Africa)?

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:41 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Other than Asia CYs have exec lounges, what's the difference in the footprint/quality of the properties btwn CY ROW to Asia (although this is sidetracking the thread from Africa)?

Cheers.
From my experience. Where a CY in US feels like a basic hotel, very simple, low on staff and basic on services offered. A CY in Asia feels like a complete hotel. Each CY in US is an almost identical copy, each CY in Asia has it's own distinctive look.

I know there're exceptions. Not all CY's are identical copies and some have a distinctive look. I'm talking about the majority of CY's I've stayed at when in US.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
From my experience. Where a CY in US feels like a basic hotel, very simple, low on staff and basic on services offered. A CY in Asia feels like a complete hotel. Each CY in US is an almost identical copy, each CY in Asia has it's own distinctive look.

I know there're exceptions. Not all CY's are identical copies and some have a distinctive look. I'm talking about the majority of CY's I've stayed at when in US.
With the exception of Asia, I'd say CYs are pretty consistent worldwide & consistency is one of the things that Marriott has going for it vs some of the other FS properties like Hilton or SPG which can be much more spotty.

Anyway, back to Africa which is what this thread is about. Obviously Marriott sees growth opportunities there for the business traveler.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:35 am

Noticed on Marriott's website today:

"Marriott International's Commitment to Expansion Across Africa Gathers Momentum
9 hotels, 1300 rooms scheduled to open by 2015; 30 hotels, 5500 rooms expected to open by 2020
USD 1.5.bn capital investment by Marriott’s real estate partners

Alex Kyriakidis, President and Managing Director, Marriott International Middle East and Africa said, “Over the next few years we plan to expand our presence even further from 10 countries to 17 with a capital investment by Marriott’s real estate partners of $1.5 billion across the continent.

With a strong eye on the extended stay segment a new Residence Inn by Marriott Kampala Kololo has just been signed, bringing the total property count under the Protea Hotels and Residence Inn brands in Uganda alone to three. A raft of further openings are scheduled to follow in 2015 across the continent with openings in South Africa, Nigeria and Uganda, as well as Marriott International’s first properties in Ethiopia, Ghana and Rwanda."

Marriott Executive Apartments Addis Ababa, owned by Sunshine Business plc, is slated to be the first property under the extended stay brand to open in Africa. With 104 units, located at the financial district, close to the UN Headquarters and Addis Ababa Stadium,
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

A raft of further openings...
Now that's an unusual descriptor for new hotels.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
It's a bummer that points won't be earned until next year. I spent 8 nights in Protea hotels across South Africa this summer, and they would've really helped me with reaching Gold this year, but alas, I currently only have 43 nights and probably won't be able to make any more stays thus year.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Saidoh
It's a bummer that points won't be earned until next year. I spent 8 nights in Protea hotels across South Africa this summer, and they would've really helped me with reaching Gold this year, but alas, I currently only have 43 nights and probably won't be able to make any more stays thus year.
Do you have a Marriott Visa? If not, apply for one & if you're approved you'll get 15 nights credit toward status (and a free Cat 1-5 cert) which would push you over the Gold threshold .

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Do you have a Marriott Visa? If not, apply for one & if you're approved you'll get 15 nights credit toward status (and a free Cat 1-5 cert) which would push you over the Gold threshold .

Cheers.
Yes, unfortunately the 43 nights includes the card. I signed up about 3 wks ago (yay) but only had 28 nights at the time. But fear not, because there's been some new developments since my last post. I just got put on another 1-week assignment at work today, so that'll get me 5 more, plus I think I'll get a night on my stopover when I take my road trip to DC for the holidays. I normally use points for that but in this case since it's down to the wire I can make an exception. So at that point I'll be one night short, which I think I can get once I spend $3k. Hopefully, it'll post quickly, but I'm optimistic since my 15 nights and my certificate showed up just a couple of days after I applied. Wish me luck!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Saidoh
Yes, unfortunately the 43 nights includes the card. I signed up about 3 wks ago (yay) but only had 28 nights at the time. But fear not, because there's been some new developments since my last post. I just got put on another 1-week assignment at work today, so that'll get me 5 more, plus I think I'll get a night on my stopover when I take my road trip to DC for the holidays. I normally use points for that but in this case since it's down to the wire I can make an exception. So at that point I'll be one night short, which I think I can get once I spend $3k. Hopefully, it'll post quickly, but I'm optimistic since my 15 nights and my certificate showed up just a couple of days after I applied. Wish me luck!
Fingers crossed, best wishes and good luck!!

Cheers
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:41 am

http://news.marriott.com/2015/08/gha...tea-hotel.html

"Marriott International, Inc. has announced the opening of the Protea Hotel Select Takoradi, its first establishment in Ghana.

“This opening under the Protea Hotels brand reinforces our focus on continuing to grow the footprint of Marriott International and that of Protea Hotels in strategic growth areas within Africa. It brings to 19 the number of Middle Eastern and African countries that Marriott International operates in,” says Alex Kyriakidis, President and Managing Director, Middle East & Africa, for Marriott International.

The new hotel, located in the fourth-largest city in Ghana in an oil-rich area of the country, boasts 132 rooms, including 12 two-bedroomed apartments. Catering to both business and leisure travelers, the hotel has a large restaurant, bar and lounge, terrace and an entertainment and pool area, as well as a gym. Conference facilities for a maximum of 150 delegates and Wi-Fi connectivity throughout the hotel are geared to meet the needs of business travelers, a market identified as likely to find the new establishment a welcome addition to the accommodation on offer in the city."

Cheers.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:40 am

http://news.marriott.com/2015/09/mar...in-africa.html

"Marriott International Opens First Marriott Executive Apartments Property in Africa

Marriott opens Africa’s first Marriott Executive Apartments in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Located in the heart of Ethiopia’s capital, the Marriott Executive Apartments Addis Ababa is just off Meskel Square in Bole, and is adjacent to the UN-ECA headquarters and conference center. It is a ten minute drive away from Bole International Airport, the African Union headquarters and the Ethiopian National Museum.

Marriott also announced it will open a property under its flagship brand. The Addis Ababa Marriott Hotel will open by 2019."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.