Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

A different type of inconvenience...should I ask for compensation?

Old Sep 16, 13, 12:47 am
Original Poster

I checked into a courtyard tonight and after unpacking and preparing to shower, I find that I don't have...cold water. At all. No way can I shower. It's scalding hot.

I call the front desk who says that maintenance will be here in the morning and she can move me, but I just unpacked a 29" full of stuff and am tired so that wasn't an option tonight. She offered to give me a different room to shower in the morning and to wait to see if maintenance could fix my water.

My question is what should I do? I'm platinum if that masters any. I'm here on business so I'm not paying for the room.
Old Sep 16, 13, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
this is FT...............the posters here would be demanding compensation if the faucets weren't 24K gold so can't take a shower due to only hot water, compensation (and your status shouldn't matter at all) ABSOLUTELY

Originally Posted by Loquascious View Post
I checked into a courtyard tonight and after unpacking and preparing to shower, I find that I don't have...cold water. At all. No way can I shower. It's scalding hot.

I call the front desk who says that maintenance will be here in the morning and she can move me, but I just unpacked a 29" full of stuff and am tired so that wasn't an option tonight. She offered to give me a different room to shower in the morning and to wait to see if maintenance could fix my water.

My question is what should I do? I'm platinum if that masters any. I'm here on business so I'm not paying for the room.
Old Sep 16, 13, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
They offered several options to remedy the problem. Not sure what more you'd want. Yes, you might have to spend 5 minutes moving to a new room....

Every compensation claim boosts prices for all of us. Frankly, I'd just take the other room and forget about it.
Old Sep 16, 13, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I sympathize with the plight of dealing with a long travel day, getting settled into a hotel room, wanting just to take a shower and get to bed... and having those nice plans thwarted. If one travels enough, however, little inconveniences like these will eventually happen. The audio jack in your airline seat may not work, your rental car's lumbar support lever may not be attached to anything in the seat, or your hotel room's water supply may lack hot or cold water.

I agree that the last one is more serious than the others--you really can't make do without cold water at all. But the hotel offered several options to make things right and, let's face it, it was your own laziness and your CHOICE not to move rooms. As far as I'm concerned, you also gave up your right to any compensation (not that I think you're due any anyway). You can't deny a hotel's every attempt to fix a situation, then expect extra cash, points, or whatever as well.
Old Sep 16, 13, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
They offered several options to remedy the problem. Not sure what more you'd want. Yes, you might have to spend 5 minutes moving to a new room.... Frankly, I'd just take the other room and forget about it.
Agree.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I sympathize with the plight of dealing with a long travel day, getting settled into a hotel room, wanting just to take a shower and get to bed... and having those nice plans thwarted. If one travels enough, however, little inconveniences like these will eventually happen....I agree that the last one is more serious than the others--you really can't make do without cold water at all. But the hotel offered several options to make things right and, let's face it, it was your own laziness and your CHOICE not to move rooms. As far as I'm concerned, you also gave up your right to any compensation (not that I think you're due any anyway). You can't deny a hotel's every attempt to fix a situation, then expect extra cash, points, or whatever as well.
Agree.
Old Sep 16, 13, 6:48 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
+1 The hotel stepped up with reasonable solutions to your problem. That is all I expect when traveling for business or leisure. No compensation is called for in this case.

--Jon
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I agree with the others; the hotel offered you options that you chose not to take.

Pretty bold and petty to ask for compensation after refusing a simple offer to move you. I cannot believe it would have inconvenienced you more than 15 minutes to repack and move.
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:41 am

One meeeeeeeelion dollars!
Old Sep 16, 13, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
It seems you have been given reasonable advice in this thread OP. The hotel offered you a different room,and you chose not to accept. No compensation is necessary.
Old Sep 16, 13, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
They offered several options to remedy the problem. Not sure what more you'd want. Yes, you might have to spend 5 minutes moving to a new room....

Every compensation claim boosts prices for all of us. Frankly, I'd just take the other room and forget about it.
Ive been in the same situation, and also didnt want to repack, 1 time they said theyd give me a key to another room to shower if I wanted to and could still stay in my assigned room and sleep in either.And when maintance checks it out in the morn they will see whats what. Didnt ask for anything more

If however I would have gotten the cold shoulder, like so shower in the morning after maintance fixes it. That would be something else. Stuff hapens and if reasonable options are offered but I decline them all then no compensation is sort by me
Old Sep 16, 13, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I would leave it alone. They gave reasonable alternatives. If they had turned around and said they have no other rooms or showers for you to use that would be different, but in this situation it seems like they took reasonable steps to accommodate you.
Old Sep 16, 13, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I would have moved. I drink tap water, and you need cold water for that to be possible.
Old Sep 16, 13, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by VA1379 View Post
I drink tap water....
You drink WHAT?

Old Sep 16, 13, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of things are annoying, but compensation? This has to be a joke.

OP called the FD, the FD offered reasonable alternatives. OP, an adult experienced traveler, made a judgment call and that's the end of it.
Old Sep 16, 13, 7:19 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I concur it's a little over the top to ask for something after the fact, but then again, I don't unpack. Some people do the clothes in the dresser thing.

However, this is a pet peeve, coming into a room that has been presumably serviced and having blown light bulbs, clocks not set or working, light/appliances unplugged, remote not responsive, etc. Was the tub cleaned with only scalding water a few hours earlier and housekeeping choose to ignore the broken facquet mixer and not report it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: