Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Hotel under someone else's name/credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Hotel under someone else's name/credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Booking Hotel under someone else's name/credit card?

Hi there!Forgive me if this is not the right area - I am new not only to this forum, but to hotels as well!

I am 19 and I do not own a credit card. Debit, yes, but credit - I've decided to just wait on that. For the past few years I've gone into Boston with my friends for a convention, but driving in and out of Boston every day, getting two hours of sleep? Yeah, I'm done with that, So my friend and I decided to book a hotel.

I sent my Uncle our money and in turn he let me use his CC and all to book the hotel - it's already paid and everything.

But now I'm worried. This is my first time having a hotel by myself. I was wondering when I get there at check-in, will there be any issues with the Hotel since I, obviously, am not my Uncle? As I said it's already paid for, but how will I let them know that it's for me? I did give the hotel a call and they mentioned something about calling a few days prior and faxing him a CC Authorization - but he doesn't have a fax machine!However, the hotel DOES have his email, so could they possibly email it to him...?

I am having such bad anxiety over this. What's the worst case scenario? Would they turn me away and let a hotel (and my friend and I's money) go to waste? I did research online saying that it was FINE to use a Credit Card under someone elses' name, but I really still need the reassurance.

Perhaps if he calls a few days prior and changes the name under the hotel to mine, that would be better? I mean, I DO have a Debit Card as well as a license, but I do not have his card and whatnot. One more time, yes, the hotel has already been paid for.

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Good thing you're thinking ahead. I've seen these things go sour - I booked my nephew's fiancée a room at a hotel near JFK, I called in advance and they denied her the room (charged me anyway initially).

Your guarantor could have added the name of a second person on many hotel websites, and included a note. He should tell the hotel and preferably get a confirming email - whether he calls or finds an email to write.

Which hotel? One of our members with experience at that property might be able to chime in.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Good thing you're thinking ahead. I've seen these things go sour - I booked my nephew's fiancée a room at a hotel near JFK, I called in advance and they denied her the room (charged me anyway initially).

Your guarantor could have added the name of a second person on many hotel websites, and included a note. He should tell the hotel and preferably get a confirming email - whether he calls or finds an email to write.

Which hotel? One of our members with experience at that property might be able to chime in.

Luckily we're not going until March, 2016, so I have a while to change things. And the hotel is the Marriott!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Pearl13
Perhaps if he calls a few days prior and changes the name under the hotel to mine, that would be better?
Yes. Absolutely have him do this, and do it day-of or day prior. Or at least notate your name as who will be checking in.

(I've done this several times and never had a problem as such.)
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, Pearl13!

This is pretty standard, I have to say. I've booked rooms for friends on my card, and on more than one occasion booked a room for my wife when it was just easier for me to do it even though she could have used her identical credit card. Just have your uncle call the hotel to tell them that you'll be the occupant, not him, and this should be noted on the booking. If you're really paranoid, have that confirmation sent to your uncle which he can then give you you. But in short, don't worry.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, will the hotel let the OP check in without presentation of his/her own credit card upon arrival, for additional charges to the room and as a guarantee against damage? Most USA hotels require presentation of a credit or debit card at check in, even if the room itself has been prepaid with some credit card. This is especially true of chain hotels.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:59 am
Suspended

She has a debit card. I'm sure they can put an authorisation for $50 on it.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Then I don't understand why the hotel could not have been booked with the debit card from the beginning.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:59 am
Suspended

True, some hotels might be funny that way. I never pay anything significant with a debit card, so I can't say, but many hotels, like car rental companies, require a credit card on file. Maybe uncle will have to authorise a further security deposit. But I think we are in tempest/teacup land here.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then I don't understand why the hotel could not have been booked with the debit card from the beginning.
In my experience, Marriott's have had notices at the front desk warning that they do place a hold of $XXX on the debit card and that the amount will be unavailable to the card holder for up to 10 (maybe diff #) days after checking out. I wonder if that scenario is more of what the OP wanted to avoid.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mikelat
I wonder if that scenario is more of what the OP wanted to avoid.
That's the only thing I can think of. I've only had a credit card for about 2 years. I used to put all my hotels and airfare on my debit card.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Many hotels require that someone be 21 years old to check in. This could be a problem.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:09 pm

I've done this several times for my aunt who does not have a credit card.

First, make sure that your uncle makes the booking in your name. He can pay with his card, but when the booking page asks for the traveller page, give your name.

Next, the day of arrival (or 1-2 days before that), your uncle would either have to call the hotel himself proactively and provide his credit card details (through scanned email or fax) - or the hotel would probably keep some cash amount/hold on your debit card.

Overall, its not a huge hassle as long as the reservation is in your name
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's complicated, but basically it was just a payment issue that I didn't think through. It's my first time doing this and I got many different answers from people - I tried making things easier but now I'm only more confused.

I just need reassurance that there won't be any problems when I go for check-in, but I will have my uncle call about a month prior (is that too long?) to add my name on the registration. None of the adults around me knew what they were doing and neither did I, so I just put all of his information down.

I know I should have asked first but we were nearing the deadline and my friend and I are both very busy with work and school

Originally Posted by nomii
I've done this several times for my aunt who does not have a credit card.

First, make sure that your uncle makes the booking in your name. He can pay with his card, but when the booking page asks for the traveller page, give your name.

Next, the day of arrival (or 1-2 days before that), your uncle would either have to call the hotel himself proactively and provide his credit card details (through scanned email or fax) - or the hotel would probably keep some cash amount/hold on your debit card.

Overall, its not a huge hassle as long as the reservation is in your name
Unfortunately the reservation is not in my name, but if I ask my uncle to call perhaps he could have it changed for me? Also, could you explain what a hold on my debit card would be? Or maybe ballpark the amount? I don't mind it much since I most likely won't be using my card that weekend anyways (bringing cash, use card as a backup/safety net), I just want to make sure they wouldn't charge me a crazy amount for nothing when the hotel fees have already been paid.

My friend and I are very respectful and responsible, there's no chance we'd break anything in the hotel...

Thank you all so much for your replies! I really appreciate it (honestly, I wasn't expecting a single reply when I first posted here!)
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
a couple of things

Why wait to have your name added? DO it now and have him double check the couple of weeks before? and have his phone handy when you check in?
Also double check if you will be able to check in if under 21 - that might be a stumbling block.

In addition, every hotel is different re debit cards. They usually charge a set amount per night f the stay and that can range form $50 to $200 per NIGHT. It also may not get dropped off your card for a few days AFTER the stay.

Any chance your uncle would be willing to make you a signer on his card for this trip and get you a credit card?

Originally Posted by Pearl13

I just need reassurance that there won't be any problems when I go for check-in, but I will have my uncle call about a month prior (is that too long?) to add my name on the registration. None of the adults around me knew what they were doing and neither did I, so I just put all of his information down.

Unfortunately the reservation is not in my name, but if I ask my uncle to call perhaps he could have it changed for me? Also, could you explain what a hold on my debit card would be? Or maybe ballpark the amount? I don't mind it much since I most likely won't be using my card that weekend anyways (bringing cash, use card as a backup/safety net), I just want to make sure they wouldn't charge me a crazy amount for nothing when the hotel fees have already been paid.

My friend and I are very respectful and responsible, there's no chance we'd break anything in the hotel...

Thank you all so much for your replies! I really appreciate it (honestly, I wasn't expecting a single reply when I first posted here!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.