Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Government Rate Eligibility at SPG Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Government Rate Eligibility at SPG Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage
Question Marriott Government Rate Eligibility at SPG Properties

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I might be able to get some answers here.

I work for the Canadian Federal Government, and am entitled to Government rates when I travel. In fact, I've traveled enough, that I've had Marriott Gold status for a few years now. According to Marriott's terms and conditions of government rates at hotels, Canadian government employees are able to take advantage of government rates where it says "U.S. Federal Government Rates." (See here: https://www.marriott.com/File%20Bloc...eals/chart.htm) I travel frequently to the USA, so it's nice that the hotels in the US accept my Canadian government ID. Since the Marriott Rewards program is being combined with SPG next month, I've been looking into booking SPG hotels. The Government Rate (USA) is often available at SPG hotels, but it clearly says it's for U.S. Government employees only. I even called a few hotels I was looking to book the Government rate to ask them if they would accept Canadian government ID, and I was told no. Basically, do you think once the formal merger happens, SPG will be forced to take on the Marriott eligibility rules when it comes to Government rates? Will the eligibility rules be changing? I have a few trips planned for travel after August, and I'm wondering if I book an SPG hotel at the US government rate, they will accept my Canadian government ID? Any insight you have would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:11 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Acceptance of and the eligibility requirements for Government rates are determined by the individual property.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FozzyBear1980
Basically, do you think once the formal merger happens, SPG will be forced to take on the Marriott eligibility rules when it comes to Government rates?
No.

There may eventually be more consistent guidelines for government rates, but I would not expect Marriott to force such a change on Starwood legacy properties in August.

Also, the loyalty program changes in August do not consitute the "formal merger" of Marriott and Starwood. It's been a single company since September 2016. Today's program names (Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and SPG) will remain in use until early 2019, so the Starwood identity will live on at least until then. The big change in August is that members will be able to use the same loyalty account across 29 brands.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As a practical matter, the ability or interest of someone at the Front Desk distinguishing between a Canadian and US government ID seems pretty unlikely.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As a practical matter, the ability or interest of someone at the Front Desk distinguishing between a Canadian and US government ID seems pretty unlikely.
That may depend on the city. Probably true for Fargo, much less true for DC.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dayone
Probably true for Fargo, much less true for DC.
I'm sure that people in Fargo are much more familiar with Canadians and Canadian ID than people in DC.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure that people in Fargo are much more familiar with Canadians and Canadian ID than people in DC.
And much less concerned about them.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Since SPG will cease to exist after August or maybe the end of the year, I would expect it to become a seamess company under the Marriott flag and as such, have the same rules for all its properties.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

I hope so! I find it interesting that Marriott at least recognizes that Canadian Government ID can be used when it states "U.S. Government Rate" at their properties. It's weird that SPG doesn't have a similar eligibility chart on their website that suggests what rates and what ID's are acceptable in each circumstance.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
You know what the funny thing is - in most of my travels, I never even get asked for my government ID when I check into hotels. The only time I get asked for it is at the small properties in places like Buffalo, NY, where the government rate might save me like $7/night. I go to NYC all the time where it literally saves me hundreds of dollars per night, and I've never been asked.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by FozzyBear1980
You know what the funny thing is - in most of my travels, I never even get asked for my government ID when I check into hotels. The only time I get asked for it is at the small properties in places like Buffalo, NY, where the government rate might save me like $7/night. I go to NYC all the time where it literally saves me hundreds of dollars per night, and I've never been asked.
Which property in Buffalo asked for it? The rate in Buffalo seems to save a significant amount (over 60%) in the summer. It seems Marriott government rates are only "Federal" while SPG did not distinguish in most cases and was a general "Government".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.