Housekeeping didn't service room

Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
After this has been addressed by Marriott Customer Service, I highly encourage putting your experience on tripadvisor.^
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by happymommy
SHS Baltimore inner harbor. I chose it since it got really good reviews on tripadvisor.
Thanks..Couldn't think of the name.

I will say, this hotel is BEAUTIFUL. Shame the management wasn't great-from my one experience.

BTW-I was there during the indy event and paid $499/nt/room for 4 rooms for 5 nights for a customer event!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No servicing is one thing, but basically being called a liar is something I will not accept.

Thanks for naming the property.

Cheers.
I would find this inexcusable as well.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
So they didn't make the bed. It's not the end of the world. Maybe the poor room attendant was overworked as other staff were away and didn't get to you. Maybe the person doing the rooms was really sick and so worried about losing her job that she came to work but could only work slowly.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
...Maybe the poor room attendant was overworked as other staff were away and didn't get to you. Maybe the person doing the rooms was really sick and so worried about losing her job that she came to work but could only work slowly.
These aren't excuses.

The first is a problem the hotel needs to address by appropriately staffing. Obviously the hotel knew this was a big weekend; They jacked up the price of a room. With the windfall, they certainly could have had enough staff on duty.

The second is even worse. If one is sick, one should not go to work. A sick hotel maid shouldn't be cleaning rooms. Sick people need to stay at home, rather than do something that puts hotel guests at risk of getting sick. She should lose her job if she comes to work sick, not keep her job if she comes to work sick.

The bottom line is the guest paid for a service, the hotel failed to deliver the service and the OP has every right to complain.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:56 am

This kind of thing (housekeeping missing my room somehow) happens to me probably once or twice a year. Yeah it's frustrating when it happens. And I nicely let the staff know about it, and most of the time they'll apologize but occasionally they'll make a lame excuse. I know it's happened at HGI where there's supposed to be a 100% satisfaction guarantee, but I've never heard them voluntarily offer me a refund for a mess-up, nor have I ever bothered to demand one.

Different people react differently to this stuff, so I'm not going to bash anybody else for reacting in any certain way. I just think it's not worth getting bent up about something like this. When stuff like this happens, you basically can't win. You're not getting the service you paid for, so you're losing there. But if you b*tch and moan to the hotel, then at the very least you come off looking like a demanding jerk in their mind and that's just not worth it to me.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Reading the OP's post, I wasn't as bothered by the servicing (stuff happens), but the staff arguing w/ the OP & basically calling her a liar vs. just saying I'm sorry, we'll get to it in the morning & it won't happen again is the part I have the problem with.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by evergrn
...But if you b*tch and moan to the hotel, then at the very least you come off looking like a demanding jerk in their mind and that's just not worth it to me.
Are we not to question the desk staff when basic services are not provided, out of fear of what they might think? Rubbish. A competent desk clerk would have taken care of this quickly.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Reading the OP's post, I wasn't as bothered by the servicing (stuff happens), but the staff arguing w/ the OP & basically calling her a liar vs. just saying I'm sorry, we'll get to it in the morning & it won't happen again is the part I have the problem with.

Cheers.
I agree with Sharon. The issue is less the fact that the room didn't get cleaned on a particular day and more about how the hotel handled it once they were notified of it.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by formeraa
After this has been addressed by Marriott Customer Service, I highly encourage putting your experience on tripadvisor.^
+1. This gets visibility and helps other travelers as well.

I post all my stays good or bad. Vast majority are very good of course.

And . . . chances are the OP isn't the only guest being called a liar. Tripadvisor is a great way to help know (as well as FT MR forum, BTW) ^
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
So they didn't make the bed. It's not the end of the world. Maybe the poor room attendant was overworked as other staff were away and didn't get to you. Maybe the person doing the rooms was really sick and so worried about losing her job that she came to work but could only work slowly.

This is a hotel management issue, not a cleaning personnel issue. Stuff happens . . . it is up to hotel management to make it right by the customer.

Certainly calling a guest a liar isn't a good start here.

They are in the "hospitality" industry, after all. So, be hospitable!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No defending the housekeeping or the hotel's response to it but playing devil's advocate:

Is it possible the DND sign was left out by you or the kids in the morning and wasn't taken off until later? Or you didn't vacate the room for the day until later in the afternoon and they didn't check back for service?

My family has been guilty of this many times being lazy and on vacation and not fully getting our act together (esp at resorts) and we didn't want them barging in.

Also guilty of putting the DND sign out at 7:30am en-route to the gym and forgetting to remove it an hour later when I came back. Used to find them in the room at the stroke of 8am when I had to quickly shower and get dressed for work. The better, caring hotels would place a note under the door saying they were unable to service but call for towels and garbage removal if wanted.

The SHS response was terrible irregardless of whatever went on but I've been the victim of this several times, usually family sports weekends where we want to sleep / relax late, they want to start early and go home and conflicts bound...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Thanks for naming the hotel. My works next major project is just south of BWI. We will avoid this prop.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I agree with Sharon. The issue is less the fact that the room didn't get cleaned on a particular day and more about how the hotel handled it once they were notified of it.
That and having PhillyPhlyer40, another FT member, mention that this property has service issues is a red flag for me. One time problems are understandable, but it seems like the property is trying to blow customers off. That is not acceptable.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
No defending the housekeeping or the hotel's response to it but playing devil's advocate:

Is it possible the DND sign was left out by you or the kids in the morning and wasn't taken off until later? Or you didn't vacate the room for the day until later in the afternoon and they didn't check back for service?

My family has been guilty of this many times being lazy and on vacation and not fully getting our act together (esp at resorts) and we didn't want them barging in.

Also guilty of putting the DND sign out at 7:30am en-route to the gym and forgetting to remove it an hour later when I came back. Used to find them in the room at the stroke of 8am when I had to quickly shower and get dressed for work. The better, caring hotels would place a note under the door saying they were unable to service but call for towels and garbage removal if wanted.

The SHS response was terrible irregardless of whatever went on but I've been the victim of this several times, usually family sports weekends where we want to sleep / relax late, they want to start early and go home and conflicts bound...
No, we left at 9 or 9:30 am and the DND sign was not ever out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.