Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

So I suppose there's no way to use MegaBonus certs for someone else?

Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

So I tried to use a MegaBonus certificate for my sister last night, and I learned that Marriott does not allow the guest to be anyone other than the certificate holder (wasn't a problem, used points instead). But, for the future, is there anyway around this? Do I just always need to be present when they're used? Has anyone had any luck using the reservations for someone else?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
So I tried to use a MegaBonus certificate for my sister last night, and I learned that Marriott does not allow the guest to be anyone other than the certificate holder (wasn't a problem, used points instead). But, for the future, is there anyway around this? Do I just always need to be present when they're used? Has anyone had any luck using the reservations for someone else?
To clarify, are you saying that the hotel allowed you to use points for your sister's stay, but would not allow you to use a certificate?

Theoretically you should be present in both situations...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AM6449
T

Theoretically you should be present in both situations...
No, one can book a room on points for anyone. You don't need to be there.

To the OP. One way around the problem is to have both your & your sister's name on the ressie. That seems to work for other FTers.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

To the OP. One way around the problem is to have both your & your sister's name on the ressie. That seems to work for other FTers.

Cheers.
Sharon,

I didn't know that. I've been told otherwise by front desk staff.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

Cheers.
Can you elaborate? When I booked online, it only had my name populate in the reservation. How do I add a second name?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
Can you elaborate? When I booked online, it only had my name populate in the reservation. How do I add a second name?
Call the reservation line & have them add the second name.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:58 am

Call the reservation line & have them add the second name.

Cheers.
Well,as of what i heard from the Marriott guys,i wasnt alowed to use Certs for anyone else other then me.Wasnt even allowed to add names to a reservation,they strictly mentioned its a stay using Certificate and cant be used by anyone else,if i am not present.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
My sister and I were staying in adjoining rooms at a Marriott Marquis. I was using a cert and points for her room. She arrived an hour before me. At first, the hotel was not going to let her in the cert room, even though her name was on the reservation. They finally allowed her in the room only after scanning her credit card and letting her know if I did not show up, she would be charged for the room, because the certs are non-transferrable. I showed up an hour later, so it wound up not being an issue, but those who try to trick the system into allowing someone else to use a cert, which is against the rules, may find themselves explaining to the person being "treated" the room why they will either have to walk out of the hotel or pay out of pocket. IMO, it's not worth it. You run the risk of having your MR account closed and putting your friend/relative in a bad situation.

Be honest and upfront. Tell the hotel you want someone else to stay on your non-transferrable cert. If the hotel allows this, fine, but have a little dignity. Be honest and transparent. If you have to lie to the hotel - claiming you will be showing up later when you are not showing up at all - you are stealing. A lie of omission - ie it's okay to imply you are coming because nobody will ask - is still a lie. It's still stealing. Is a one-night hotel stay really worth that? Aren't we on FT above giving people instructions on how to lie to get something you couldn't get by being honest and straightforward?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
Well,as of what i heard from the Marriott guys,i wasnt alowed to use Certs for anyone else other then me.Wasnt even allowed to add names to a reservation,they strictly mentioned its a stay using Certificate and cant be used by anyone else,if i am not present.
As far as I know.. the rules are the rules and they haven't changed recently...

Mega bonus certs used for someone else when not present - no.

Points redemption for someone else when not present - yes.

Has someone gotten away with using a mega bonus cert for someone else in the past? - I'm sure it's happened. I would never try to do this without a good backup plan in place if denied. Terms of the mega bonus are very clear so anyone complaining about it doesn't have much to stand on. At least in my opinion.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
I recently was stuck staying overnight after a flight was cancelled and my father had extra certs from megabonus. He not only called and reserved a room with the certs in my name but 5 min later i was checking in with out any problem. And, I actually received the benefits of my platinum status.

Over the past year we actually regularly switch certs with each other. Somehow I never need them when I have them and vise versa. We normally call the reservation line and have them do it but I want to say on the most recent last minute use of a cert (above) I think he called the hotel directly.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by KristenP
I recently was stuck staying overnight after a flight was cancelled and my father had extra certs from megabonus. He not only called and reserved a room with the certs in my name but 5 min later i was checking in with out any problem. And, I actually received the benefits of my platinum status.

Over the past year we actually regularly switch certs with each other. Somehow I never need them when I have them and vise versa. We normally call the reservation line and have them do it but I want to say on the most recent last minute use of a cert (above) I think he called the hotel directly.
Which hotel was that ? and for earlier Certs,you called the reservation line and they did let you use it,Whose name was the reservation under ? I am not sure about it as there T and C's clearly state of Awards not being transferable and may not be given as a gift as well.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've been able to do it twice to let me husband stay - we have the same last name - but both times I told the reservationist that I would also be staying in the room but that hubby might arrive first. Both times, the reservationist went on about how the hotel may not let him check in without me, that it depended on the hotel. Both times it worked out OK and they let him check in but we were nervous both times about it....
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
The more I am reading about this, the more I think we have just got lucky in the past or maybe the hotels are starting to crack down more. I actually never knew it was against the rules until reading flyertalk more. I think it does help that my father and I share the same last name. I found out that the most recent stay (5min before check in one) did have his name on the reservation as well. My father said when he called he was up front about what he was doing so I am guessing there was just a nice person on the other end. Last summer I used another one of his certs and I just checked in under my name, never mentioned his and there were no issues.

I am doing this again in a month but using his marriot credit card cat 1-5, does anyone know if those are treated any different than the mega bonus ones. I was planning on giving him my credit card 1-5 which is valid the a couple weeks after I need to use it (I wish you could change the issue date, always inconvenient for me).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by KristenP
I am doing this again in a month but using his marriot credit card cat 1-5, does anyone know if those are treated any different than the mega bonus ones. I was planning on giving him my credit card 1-5 which is valid the a couple weeks after I need to use it (I wish you could change the issue date, always inconvenient for me).
I have had my CC cert expiry date extended in the past.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not personally comfortable lying about my husband arriving later. I am checking in to a hotel tomorrow under his name, but he actually is arriving later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.