Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:11 pm

Do we think they will bring Premier Gold back to the new elite levels? Right now you get United Prem Silver with Marriot Platinum-
seems odd Plat 50 and plat 75 would not get Gold on United which would be nifty.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Hope they clarify airline tie-ins soon. I also wonder what will happen with Delta crossover
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
Do we think they will bring Premier Gold back to the new elite levels? Right now you get United Prem Silver with Marriot Platinum-
seems odd Plat 50 and plat 75 would not get Gold on United which would be nifty.
IMO it looks like Delta won with them hammering the details now with an announcement before July 15th. Could be wrong though.

Crossover RewardsTM with Delta SkyMiles will continue through July 15, 2018, with all current benefits being honored through that date. We expect to have more to share on this program before July 15.
Nothing mentioned about United so it might be the end of United <-> Marriott.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
IMO it looks like Delta won with them hammering the details now with an announcement before July 15th. Could be wrong though.

I don't fly DL, so that's sad
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by edcho

This passage from The Points Guys seems to suggest the opposite:

“While Marriott doesn’t plan on changing any of the benefits it offers United MileagePlus elite members, Delta and SPG Crossover Rewards will continue through July 1 while the Emirates and China Eastern partnerships will continue through the end of the year.“

I might be reading too much into it, but this also suggests that RewardsPlus members will continue to receive Gold in the new program.

Here’s the link to the article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/detail...yalty-program/
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by blahmeh14

This passage from The Points Guys seems to suggest the opposite:

“While Marriott doesn’t plan on changing any of the benefits it offers United MileagePlus elite members, Delta and SPG Crossover Rewards will continue through July 1 while the Emirates and China Eastern partnerships will continue through the end of the year.“

I might be reading too much into it, but this also suggests that RewardsPlus members will continue to receive Gold in the new program.

Here’s the link to the article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/detail...yalty-program/
Maybe. Hopefully Marriott can clear this up soon.

BTW -- RewardsPlus members receive United Silver. Plat Premiers received United Gold last year but discontinued that.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

From the Marriott Rewards FAQ page:

Q: Are there any changes to the RewardsPlus program with United MileagePlus?

A: There are no changes to the United RewardsPlus offering. If you have Platinum Premier Elite status, you will still be able to link and upgrade your United MileagePlus Account to Premier® Silver status. In addition, all members receive bonuses when converting points to United MileagePlus miles and on RewardsPlus Hotel + Air Packages.

This indicates that you will need to be Platinum Premier (75+ nights) on the new Marriott side to get United Mileage Plus Silver status. Thus Marriott Premier Platinum (75+ nights) would obviously not get United Gold, as 75+ nights is the cutoff just to get United Silver. Therefore, best case would be that Ambassador gets United Gold, although that obviously is not specified.

Also, it is not specified what benefits someone with United MileagePlus status but no Marriott status will now get.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Adding onto the discussion, it also states on the official website that SPG's Crossover Rewards with Delta SkyMiles will continue to July. But then it states they hope to have more details to announce on this later.

The second part leads me to believe they are still trying to work something out with Delta as well. If they weren't, and were just going with United only, they wouldn't have included the last statement about hoping to have more details to announce later. This leads me to believe one of three options is in play:
1) They are still trying to work out a deal with Delta, and aren't there yet. Should they reach a deal, Platinum Premier +could+ get you some status with BOTH Delta and United.
2) With the SPG Crossover program, it was always confusing as SPG Plats received quasi-Delta Silver, and Delta Elites recieved quasi-SPG Gold. This was always confusing to understand. Taken in context with today's big announcement... well, we SPG/Marriott members have just been given a whole bunch of information... and are still trying to figure everything out. If this new program also continued the quasi-status going forard, Marriott may have decided it would be better to wait and let everything sink in with what the new program is ....before trying to explain what essentially Delta Quasi-status would be in a new program we are just beginning to comprehend.
3) Or , the deal with Delta falls through, and it will be United status match only after July.

My guess and hope is #1 , but I wouldn't be surprised by #2 or #3 .
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by kavok
This indicates that you will need to be Platinum Premier (75+ nights) on the new Marriott side to get United Mileage Plus Silver status. Thus Marriott Premier Platinum (75+ nights) would obviously not get United Gold, as 75+ nights is the cutoff just to get United Silver. Therefore, best case would be that Ambassador gets United Gold, although that obviously is not specified.
It's purely speculation, but this is my expectation. Premier Platinum is the new Platinum.

And based on the high thresholds required for Ambassador, offering United Gold is not unreasonable.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 16, 2018 at 10:48 pm Reason: Formatting.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:44 pm

Quite possibly the case. Current Gold MR become Platinum Elite. Doesn't really make sense, does it? Imagine you're Gold, Plat or 1K and you get a lowly MR Gold with devalued status, what's the point? Would you keep up the chase with MR?

Originally Posted by ORDAAFlyer296
Curious to know what everyone thinks MR will give UA golds and above. Previously it was matched to MR gold, which was 50 nights. Something tells me they’ll be matching it to the “new gold” (25 nights), which means we lose breakfast and lounge access. Thoughts?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds rather entitled. Imagine you're an exhaulted DM with DL and you get nothing at all in terms of status from SPG.....What's the point?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:36 pm

This might help answer some of the questions:

https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:22 am

Has anyone heard whether United 1K will continue to get Marriott Gold? (which looks like will be Platinum in new scheme)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
Has anyone heard whether United 1K will continue to get Marriott Gold? (which looks like will be Platinum in new scheme)
Looks like there's no official information out there. The following would make sense to me, but most likely not gonna happen:
  • United Silver -> Marriott Silver
  • United Gold -> Marriott Gold
  • United Platinum -> Marriott Platinum
  • United 1k -> ??
Only inofficial information I could find up to now is, that United Elites will be matched to the new Marriott Gold.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Looks like there's no official information out there. The following would make sense to me, but most likely not gonna happen:
  • United Silver -> Marriott Silver
  • United Gold -> Marriott Gold
  • United Platinum -> Marriott Platinum
  • United 1k -> ??
Only inofficial information I could find up to now is, that United Elites will be matched to the new Marriott Gold.
The way I look at:
In the new system, Marriott Gold status will get you a few things but nothing too substantial. You can also basically get Gold status benefits through using credit cards, but to get Platinum (50+) status you need to rack up some hotel stays. The real tangible basic benefits don’t really start until you reach Marriott Platinum (50+ nights).

Similarly with United: United Silver status will get you a few things but nothing too substantial. You can also basically get United Silver status benefits through using credit cards, but to get United Gold status you need to rack up some flight miles. The real tangible basic benefits don’t really start until you reach United Gold status.

Thus: Marriott Gold equates to United Silver
United Gold equates to Marriott Plat50
Marriott Plat75 equates to United Plat
United 1k equates to Marriott Ambassador

Thus, if you need Marriott Plat75 to get United Silver, then United Plat would get Marriott Gold. What I suspect will happen is that United Gold AND Plat will get Marriott Gold, and United 1K will get Marriott Plat50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.