Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott will not match my Hyatt Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I called Marriott Rewards to match my Platinum Hyatt status. I thought that this was a typical 1:1 transaction and a lot easier, so maybe I am totally wrong. However, she took me around the bush by saying that all she could do was sign me up for the "challenge" so I could try to get to Marriott's platinum by staying 9 separate stays by September 30th.

I've since emailed them to see what that staff says.

I am just confused because before I called them I was talking to the Marquis in SF and he said to make sure to call them and match your status with Hyatt because it would help when I checked in there in August. Did he just not know what he was talking about?

Please help!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ight=challenge
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Hyatt Diamond is the equivalent of Marriott Platinum, so no, they're not going to match Hyatt Platinum, which is a low-level status and the equivalent of Marriott Silver.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I don't want to be merged straight to platinum, which I explained to her. I would be happy with simply Gold. I just want some status recognition, which the guy in SF said should be no issue (especially when I'm spending $600/night for one week).
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If I remember correctly, you get the benefits of the status during your challenge, but don't get to keep the challenge if you don't spend the nights. I'm not sure what the issue would be if that's the case. You're not being denied any benefits, your just being asked to prove you are going to give the business prior to being awarded the status for the long haul.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about getting the benefit of the status during the challenge.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

I believe that is the case too. I think what I will do is take on the challenge and if I don't match it (which I most likely will not with the way I travel with Hyatt), it is no harm-no foul. She said I just couldn't try the challenge for another year, which is not a big deal.

I apologize for above. My platinum should transfer as a Silver so I would at least hope for that to get the points benefits!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Just read the challenge thread and do the challenge.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jennbar
I don't want to be merged straight to platinum, which I explained to her. I would be happy with simply Gold. I just want some status recognition, which the guy in SF said should be no issue (especially when I'm spending $600/night for one week).
Even these two levels are not equivalent. Hyatt Platinum can be obtained (if not through the credit card) after only 5 stays or 15 nights. Marriott Gold requires 50 nights. Marriott Silver is the equivalent level, which is obtained either through the credit card or after 10 nights.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
Even these two levels are not equivalent. Hyatt Platinum can be obtained (if not through the credit card) after only 5 stays or 15 nights. Marriott Gold requires 50 nights. Marriott Silver is the equivalent level, which is obtained either through the credit card or after 10 nights.
Okay, that seems like my best shot. I have received an email back and they are seeing what they can do about entering me with the challenge. We shall see!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, that seems like my best shot. I have received an email back and they are seeing what they can do about entering me with the challenge. We shall see!
You can do the Gold challenge instead of Plat. Gold challenge is 6 stays.

The difference between Gold and Plat is, point earning bonus, and room upgrade to suites. Both Gold and Plat have lounge access - that is more important than a suite upgrade in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
You can do the Gold challenge instead of Plat. Gold challenge is 6 stays.

The difference between Gold and Plat is, point earning bonus, and room upgrade to suites. Both Gold and Plat have lounge access - that is more important than a suite upgrade in my opinion.
Yes, that is important to me too. I will call today to get scheduled for the gold challenge. 6 stays is also more doable if I switch over the next few trips to Marriotts instead of Hyatts. However, I don't know if that is also worth doing, because then I will lose my stays with Hyatt!

Oh the choices we all have to make!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Would it be reasonable to think that if I put my stays with Marriott and achieved the Gold level that Hyatt would then status check me at Diamond?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Would it be reasonable to think that if I put my stays with Marriott and achieved the Gold level that Hyatt would then status check me at Diamond?
Better asked in the Hyatt forum, but my guess is they would want to see your stay history and it would only be a challenge not a match.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
So basically what you are saying you don't have plans to switch to Marriott, you just want a status for a particular stay?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
So basically what you are saying you don't have plans to switch to Marriott, you just want a status for a particular stay?
I don't have plans to switch to Marriott because I have put emphasis on using my Hyatt Visa (by staying at Hyatts when I travel). However, the gold challenge is definitely doable, but it does not seem like it would be worth it if it would only be considered a challenge and nothing more to Hyatt.

I got started on this idea when the concierge at the Marquis in San Francisco told me it would be smart to at least get on the challenge to help my week-stay there and possibly share the status with Hyatt.

Honestly, I could see Hyatt and Marriott's working hand in hand, as many places that Hyatt are not, Marriott's are. So, that is another reason for just going for it. For some reason though, I have a problem "sharing the love" between two companies. I fear that I will be missing out on rewards that I could be getting if I just stayed loyal to one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.