Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can i earn Marriott points when i have dining in Marriott hotel restaurants

Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest , MileagePlus

I would like to know can i earn or not?

Right now, i know just hyatt and starwood

Thank you
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
You should in most cases, especially when charging it to your room though for some non-marriott managed hotels like the Vegas Cosmo Autograph, you'll need to email/fax Marriott Corporate your folio if the credit doesnt post properly.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dchen2
You should in most cases, especially when charging it to your room though for some non-marriott managed hotels like the Vegas Cosmo Autograph, you'll need to email/fax Marriott Corporate your folio if the credit doesnt post properly.
Actually that's wrong if the OP is referring to a restaurant charge w/o a stay associated with it, which is how I interpret his/her post since s/he mentions Hyatt & Starwood.

Hyatt & Starwood do offer points for restaurant bills when not staying at the hotel, but Marriott doesn't have that policy.

If you are not staying at the Marriott property you are not supposed to receive Marriott points (unless you put it on a Marriott CC & receive them that way). There is no 'folio' to fax; just a credit card receipt.

Some FTers will go to the length of trying to convince the front desk to start an account/assign a room just for the purpose of charging the restaurant bill & then close it out right away so that they can get points. I think that's a bit of overkill just for restaurant spend, but to each his/her own.

Some brands, even if you are staying at the property, you will not receive points for incidental spend. To me, this is the next big thing MR members should lobby Marriott about.

If you have stayed at a property that does earn points on incidental spend, then fax or email your folio to have everything credited properly.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually that's wrong if the OP is referring to a restaurant charge w/o a stay associated with it, which is how I interpret his/her post since s/he mentions Hyatt & Starwood.

Hyatt & Starwood do offer points for restaurant bills when not staying at the hotel, but Marriott doesn't have that policy.

If you are not staying at the Marriott property you are not supposed to receive Marriott points (unless you put it on a Marriott CC & receive them that way). There is no 'folio' to fax; just a credit card receipt.

Some FTers will go to the length of trying to convince the front desk to start an account/assign a room just for the purpose of charging the restaurant bill & then close it out right away so that they can get points. I think that's a bit of overkill just for restaurant spend, but to each his/her own.

Some brands, even if you are staying at the property, you will not receive points for incidental spend. To me, this is the next big thing MR members should lobby Marriott about.

If you have stayed at a property that does earn points on incidental spend, then fax or email your folio to have everything credited properly.

Cheers.
I understood OP's question it that way as well.
And I agree with Sharon regarding Marriott brands that only give points on room rate and not incidental, that has been one of my biggest pet peeves, especially RC which usually has a number of restaurants and not cheap either.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

Originally Posted by sammyindc
And I agree with Sharon regarding Marriott brands that only give points on room rate and not incidental, that has been one of my biggest pet peeves, especially RC which usually has a number of restaurants and not cheap either.
I'm waiting for the hiccups to die down a bit re: the new brekkie policy that goes into effect this weekend. Then I'm going to start a campaign re: the incidental spend issue.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:15 am

Off-topic:

I'm waiting for the hiccups to die down a bit re: the new brekkie policy that goes into effect this weekend. Then I'm going to start a campaign re: the incidental spend issue.

Cheers.
sounds good, I'll sign the petition!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:56 pm

This caught me by surprise as my recent award stay at a courtyard earned no points for breakfast for my family of four.

The horror, I had to pay for breakfast, then no points!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
This caught me by surprise as my recent award stay at a courtyard earned no points for breakfast for my family of four.

You should still earn points during award stay. Give it a few days, and if nothing posts, call MR and email/fax them a copy of your guest folio.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
You should still earn points during award stay. Give it a few days, and if nothing posts, call MR and email/fax them a copy of your guest folio.
Hmmm, why would you earn points for a breakfast at CY?
CY is still only points for roomrates not???
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:23 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by krungsri
I would like to know can i earn or not?

Right now, i know just hyatt and starwood

Thank you
If you search this forum you will see that there're some workaround to get points for meals at the FS Marriott hotels. (if you don't hold a reservation)
This will require the hotel to cooperate with your request and create a kind of dummy reservation for you so the restaurant charges can be charged to your 'fake' hotel room.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Off-topic:

Cheers.
I'll be in Boston this weekend. Arriving Friday, checking out Monday. I believe the program starts Sunday. I'll see what I can get on Sunday. Even if I'll most likely go out to brunch with friends, I want to get my Platinum benefits that I am due!!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim

I had fotgotten about this policy. Stayed at a Courtyard in Florida an Austin. Charged some beers to the room. No points! Then I remembered no incidental spend at Courtyard. In the past, I had either stayed at a place like Residence Inn or Courtyard and never had incidental spend or I stayed at a F/S and got my points on my full folio.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Hmmm, why would you earn points for a breakfast at CY?
CY is still only points for roomrates not???
Correct, I didn't pay attention to the property. CY is room rate only ... for now, until Sharon's campaign is over and hopefully successful.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:21 pm

Correct, I didn't pay attention to the property. CY is room rate only ... for now, until Sharon's campaign is over and hopefully successful.
Well, I sent a message to inquire. Perhaps they will throw me a bone. Its 1550 points, I am not losing sleep either way.

The quirks of these programs. . .

ETA - no bones were thrown.

Last edited by dcpilgrim; Jun 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
If you search this forum you will see that there're some workaround to get points for meals at the FS Marriott hotels. (if you don't hold a reservation)
This will require the hotel to cooperate with your request and create a kind of dummy reservation for you so the restaurant charges can be charged to your 'fake' hotel room.
Can you explain this in more detail?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.